Eurorack: ask questions here

Thank you! I’m quite excited, and I’m kinda thinking about filling the rest of my rack with newer MI modules and having a sort of megaLOOM setup. :grin:

I’m just excited to start patching and get back into it! I’ll have plenty of time to figure out where to go next with a pretty solid starting point!

Recommnendations: Get a bigger rack. It blows having to spend a bunch of money on power just to turn on other expensive stuff, but it’s how it goes. You can replace it later, but if this is an investment towards growing into modular, you’re giving yourself a hard handicap very quickly.

Get the modules that make you the most excited, but don’t forget utilities.

Maths is popular as a first module because it’s super versitle. I didn’t go that route, and occasionally I regret it. It gives you two loopable envelopes and a bunch of attenuverters with logic in one package. It’s crazy popular for a reason.

If you want to be a bit more hands off, Marbles is a lot of fun and very versitle, but it’s not going to teach you as much because it’s doing things for you. It will give you lots of triggers, CV modulation, and note CV if you want it to experiment.

Morphagene is a very rewarding module. It got it early, and eventually traded it, but not because I didn’t like it. It’s just a lot of fun to play with. I’d pick it over Clouds every time.

Stages is under-appreciated. I’m not crazy about the envelopes it makes, but it does a ton in a small package. You can learn a lot just from self patching it. It can give you syncable LFO’s, oscilators, sample and hold, sequencing, offsets, any envelope type you can imagine, and a secret mode that give you a harmonic oscillator. I have actively tried to make sense of replacing it, and I can’t seem to do it.

Rosie was my first output module. No regrets there. Crossfadable mono inputs and a stereo input/effects loop with headphones and line outs. Very very useful.

You’re on lines, so I’d be remiss not to recommend Three Sisters. It’s basically a mixer filter hybrid and it’s crazy useful and sounds crazy good.

Ripples is a solid choice though. It’s a very good filter design with a built in VCA. Good stuff.

I like ILFJ, and I have it racked, but @alanza is right that you could just as well have it in pedal form. Though that gets to the question about whether you want it pedals at all.

Effects in and out of rack is a big question that people debate about a lot. Don’t sweat it too much.

I also recommend getting a few stackable cables early. They’re really handy for experimenting. You’ll want more cables than you have faster than you’d think.

Buy what excites you.
Don’t forget utilities.

You can always sell or trade stuff later. Most bits of eurorack kit resale well.

So I’m replying to my own comment and I had a question about how to do some sidechaining with Streams and Peaks. Now, if I already had this stuff on hand, I’d already be experimenting, but I’ve gotta wait for the mail and my excitement levels are very high! Also I have a Stages on the way as well, fwiw.

One of my Peaks will probably live in drum mode. How would I route my kick through/along Streams to achieve ducking? Would it be as easy as multing the kick signal and running one into Streams? Or do I need a negative voltage envelope to make that happen?

Just wanted to follow up on this since I figured other people might find this useful.

From a technical standpoint, I’ve been able to find a solution to the pitch-CV “problem” that I proposed above.

If I feed my audio signal into the Influence jack on the Wogglebugg it basically acts as a PLL which gives me a very rough pitch to CV conversion. Please note that this is not anywhere near 1v/8va but for my purposes that does not matter since I’m simply looking for a rough estimate (higher notes=higher voltage and vice versa, that’s all).

Straight out of the Wogglebug, the cv is very erratic and amplitude sensitive but when I patch the signal into channel 1/4 on Maths and adjust the rise and fall as needed I can get anything from a smooth voltage that follows my pitch pretty much like a smooth envelope follower and if I max out the rise and fall (+add an additional onset if desired) I can have the voltage change over a much longer period of time.

For example, lets say I’m playing a low melody accented by the occasional natural harmonic. With rise and fall at a lower setting, the voltage will jump rapidly up and down but with higher settings, the voltage will remain more or less constantly low, I need to be playing higher notes for a sustained period of time before any substantial increase in voltage occurs. Best of all is that it appears to work just as well with polyphonic playing, presumably since the signal is so heavily slewed.

It still remains to be seen if I can refine this and tailor this to something musically useful but it’s certainly a step in the right direction!

The same idea could be used with gates derived from my/your playing as well, just patch the gates into Maths (or a similar module) and set rise and fall as needed, this will produce a voltage that continually rises based on the number of onsets.

Edit: Gave this a shot with my electric since I did not have my classical on hand. For my purposes it works like a charm! The fact that the pitch signal is a bit wobbly and erratic actually adds to the effect of having a partner in a duo and “we” both influence each other, feed of each others playing. Just setting up a very basic patch with one voice and improvising was truly fascinating and I can easily see this technique being useful for other external sources that one may choose to incorporate with their modular (field recordings, samples, prerecorded tracks, vocals or what have you :smiley: )

Sounds cool, I’ll try it…

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, I am newbie at Eurorack.

Let me show you my current setup. At the moment, I have these four modules: the Pamela’s New Workout, the DC-2e Drone Commander 2 plus the Expander and the S.B.G.

Which would be your next purchase? Which module pairs well with the ones I have right now?

Thanks!

//// pictures ////

Welcome! You’re obviously missing a lot. You’ll want to at least tell us what your goals are if you want recommendations.

It sounds like you just need to do some research? Probably a lot of it. You should usually be able to answer that question yourself if you have clear goals for what you want to do and know your space and power constraints.

That DC-2 can do a hell of a lot on its own! Seriously had my eye on that & the expander for a while, just so much deeper than my case.

As @grey said, it would be helpful to know what you’re hoping to achieve as far as sound and what kind of control you would like to have over that sound.

There’s an algorithm on the Disting 4 - C2 - that implements a super-short delay line and sounds neat when sequenced, I’m wondering what are similar modules, especially ones that don’t take up too many HP? Neither 2hp delay or comb have the same sound.

How often do people reconfigure their module arrangement in their case? Does anyone have more modules than will fit in your case and you reconfigure your rack based on how you’re feeling or the patch you want to build?

I’m to the point now where I don’t want a bigger case (and in fact might want a smaller case) and then keep a “pile” of modules (cringe at the real life thought of a pile of modules) on the shelf to then pull from and build a custom rack based on what I’m feeling.

Does anyone practice this often? Any tips or advice?

I was in a similar situation for a long time (lots of shelved modules), but for me it was more that I wanted a larger case, but couldn’t decide on which one. I definitely did not like that situation. It just led to a lot more thought about how to arrange modules rather than how to use them. Now I have all my modules in a case again and I find myself spending no time on modulargrid and hours in front of the modular.

I have more modules than I have room for at the moment. My main modular hobby lately has been configuring / reconfiguring 104hp skiffs for live performance / improvisation. It’s a lot of fun.

Recontextualizing modules can reveal previously unknown capabilities. That’s good. I’ve spent much less money on modules since dismantling my 12u and building out cool skiffs for particular purposes / patches because I’m having fun exploring how my existing modules behave in different situations.

I don’t have any advice but I do recommend reconfiguration as often as seems creatively desirable. Any time staleness or frustration creeps in - reconfigure. Below is a pic of my latest skiff. All the modules are used / needed per patch - no fluff.

That’s pretty much what I do. I have a 7U, 6U and a 3U. My 7U is my main performance case, 6U is for a west coast sort of bastard shared system, and a 3U for spillover and more goal oriented things. Also thinking about getting a 48hp for a travel case…yeah it’s a problem.

Good perspective, thanks for sharing how this kinda goes against your flow!

This makes sense too. I have various modules that I long to “pair” or have them interact so thinking about actually physically doing that helps. Plus the smaller racks help me focus as there’s less going on.

haha, I think 6U might be my sweetspot. Enough to have some good modules but not enough to leave a lot out. Thanks for the info!

I’m still growing to my “v1” case. I have parts of my case that are fixed based on ergonomics. I think I have 1 row that is unlikely to change now. Otherwise, I’ve actually been working pretty aggressively to improve things. Part of the trouble is that auditioning modules is weird. Without the luxury of trying modules in a store, you have to make a lot of judgements about how you think a piece will fit into you plans, and that can be tricky! I have multiple modules that I enjoy, but I am not convinced they should stay in my case. I’ve sold a lot of stuff that I didn’t gel with or decided would be better used by someone else.

I’d say that the most important thing is being clear about your goals. If you know what you want to accomplish, knowing whether or not something makes sense for your case is easier. That said, you probably won’t eliminate idle modules entirely. Removing something from your case can provide a lot of context for it’s use; other times the utility of a thing may take a while to reveal itself. Ultimately it just depends on your budget and what feels like the right way for you to work. Maybe your goal is to finish and master an instrument, maybe your goal is to mix it up to challenge yourself? No wrong answers.

Hello, I’m using my eurorack at the moment with Ableton (to hermod) but I’d really like to lose my mac for the gigs. I was sure I could do it with hermod but the recording isn’t brilliant there and I’m looking for a sequencer - better if eurorack but if not then a separate one to drop in the midi files I created in ableton and make it easy to trigger it live.
For the moment pyramid is the thing I found but if anyone has better ideas, something smaller and more efficient or inside the eurorack it’ll be brilliant. Thanks!

It’s not small, but the ER-101 and ER-102 combo can play back midi files from an SD card. There are several options on how the files are handled during playback. Check out the manual for more info.

Pretty sure you can do this with Expert Sleepers’ Disting.

Was in a similar situation, two 6u 104hp cases, and I found myself working in one or other, but found it less than optimal. I now have a big 9u case (something like 750hp in total), and the improvement In workflow in my home studio is totally worth the time lost to moving things in and out of the smaller cases when playing gigs.

Sounds sweet, I wish there were more than 4 tracks for this though…