Eurorack: ask questions here

So what sequencer did you choose for your midi files eventually?

To, um, answer my own question, I found Modor Comb Filter as well as the yet-to-be-released Qu-Bit Prism… will keep looking a little more.

I wish there more demos of that Modor Comb. It seems pretty dope.

So I’ve asked this in some capacity before, but is anyone using Akemie’s or Dinky’s Taiko as a hybrid melodic/rhythmic voice in their system? Is it an ill-conceived idea or is it excellent? I’m using Braids and Tides as my main melodic voices, and was considering adding Plaits and Rings, but maybe a Taiko would be a cool replacement for Rings. Does anyone have any examples of this arrangement? I could use one of my Peaks for ‘normal drums’ and have one of the ALM devices add more interesting percussive and melodic elements.

Yah, it’s an excellent idea.

I use the Akemie’s Taiko as a melodic voice all the time. See also: Basimilus Iteritas Alter. They’re both secret weapon lead synth-line producers.

Here is a MOTS I did where BIA and Taiko are functioning more like synth voices than percussion voices (most of the time).

Also both BIA + Taiko are excellent drum voices, too.

Here’s the rack for that track:

This is where I’m at. I’m using a Pelican case - two rows (6U) @ 84 hp. Since acquiring JF and Mangrove, my focus has been split between learning (optimising) Pamela’s NW, and learning Just Friends. Also, the addition of Mangrove felt like one voice too many.

JF had introduced an undesirable noise (approaching max power draw) to my system, and I’ve got 3-4 add’l modules (overflow) that I can’t bring myself to sell. The solution was acquiring a MN skiff (104 hp) - now I’ve got this new freedom to build a fresh system, primarily focusing on Just Friends and Mangrove, along w/a small series of utility / modulation modules. It feels fresh / freeing, and somehow simplified, having two separate systems to focus on, with the option to round out / balance both systems.

A lot of noise for such a compact setup! Between BIA, Dinky, and Akemie, do you have a favorite? The ALMs certainly appeal to my aesthetic sensibilities more, but a BIA wouldn’t seem to put of place next to my incoming VnIcursal VCA!

O, well it’s v. difficult to pick a favorite out of those three. They’re not exactly comparable like 808 kick clones or something.

BIA is probably the most versatile with its skin / liquid / metal + bass / alto / treble switches. Plus all its other parameters. Everything from crunch kicks to tinkle melody hits.

Dinky’s makes some of the best kicks I’ve ever heard + noise function + squelch synth noises.

Akemie’s produces classic FM tones but with all the parameters under CV it can get completely nutty in the best way. It can be pushed to do pretty much any percussive sound + can be v. nice as a melody-maker.

From your original post, I’d recommend either the BIA or Akemie’s because they’re easier to push into melody-land. Dinky’s probably has some secrets in this realm as well but I haven’t found the right settings or explored that possibility because I’m always too busy using it as a fat kick.

That there VnIcursal looks crazy, hadn’t heard of it before… neat!

I had a shower thought this morning maybe some one here can help with.
Are there places where people share their software emulations or mock-ups of eurorack modules in the form of max patches (or pd or reason etc…)?

there are some posted on here in various places but not really all in one place… I know there are a few dedicated Max-external ports of Mutable modules, for instance, and I think also some Max / pd patches that were design mockups or explorations of the Erbe-Verb.

For Reaktor, there are plenty of Blocks that emulate modules in the User Library on the NI website.

(Special mention to @trickyflemming for his Euro Reakt collection)

I’m not sure, but maybe 1010 toolbox gets you some of the way there. For similar reasons to yourself I quickly grew weary of the hermod and ended up swapping for a nerdseq. It is the heart of my growing system, and once the expanders are released I can see it replacing several modules.

Is there a rule of thumb for when a buffered mult is required? Say I mult my main melody generator out to 3 or 4 sample and holds - should I expect notable voltage drop? I should probably just bust out my multimeter and measure, but I’d be curious if there is a rule of thumb for this that I don’t know.

It depends a lot on what’s generating the voltage, so I’m not sure there’s a rule of thumb really.

I don’t own a buff mult and the only times I’ve kind of wanted one were to cover other cases instead (like the All Pulse output of the Sputnik 5-Step, or some of the signals from Rampage when used with a passive LPG). But I’ve noticed I can mult pitch from my CV.OCD a couple of times without noticeable droop, but can’t mult Microbrute’s pitch CV out even once without really bad droop.

I could be mistaken (I never measured, so this is purely anecdotal), but I believe I experienced more of an instability with pitch cv passively multed. This was more of a minor inconvenience than an issue.

Still, I’m quite satisfied with 4 x 0hp of buffered mult with the Hungry Robot modular Multiples. Provided you aren’t bothered by the need for an additional wall wart, it’s probably the most buffered mult available per unit currency.

https://www.hungryrobotmodular.com/buffered-multiples-x4

I think the rule of thumb is usually: if the precise voltage is important then use a buffered mult. There are many caveats to this of course, for instance, all Make Noise critical voltages have buffered outs, so can quite happily be multed using a passive mult.

Someone shared this with me today and I thought of you wanting to combine your Eurorack with your guitar. Looks up your alley, @FelixA?

I have a Moog theremin with CV pitch, volume and gate outputs. But they are 1/4 inch. Can I use a regular 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter or do I need to get a mono version?

Thanks for thinking of me :slight_smile: This is indeed right up my alley. I’ve been doing some of what the module does with Mutable Instruments Ears and Make Noise Maths but this gave some some additional ideas for patching those to up to achieve the same effect.

I’ve also discovered this piece of software for audio to midi conversion which works fantastic with my electrics, going to try it out with my classical guitar this weekend. If that does indeed work as well as I hope, I can effectively use my classical guitar as a full-fledged controller putting out Pitch CV which tracks V/8va, multiple envelopes, gates and triggers while simultaneously giving me the sound and feel of my beloved acoustic instrument.

As an aside, sorry I missed you guys in Stockholm, found out about the performance a bit to late and could not get out of work, let me know next time you’re in Sweden!

https://www.jamorigin.com

I think you should be able to use a regular one?