Eurorack: ask questions here

One critical function of a buff mult in eurorack is when you don’t want your original signal to be interrupted by patching/unpatching a copy. Since euro uses TS cables, the signal is briefly shorted to ground when you make or break a connection. This can wreak havoc when multing a clock signal…

I recently added a buffered mult to my system for exactly the 2 reasons described above

• i wanted to ensure that i wouldn’t disrupt my system-wide master clock by patching or unpatching, use of stackables, etc. Stable master clock is key, so I send it thru a buff mult now and distribute to my divider, other gear, etc without worries

• i was experiencing voltage drop when splitting melodies across multiple voices/other utilities, and the buff mult just solves that problem entirely

for 2hp out of 208hp total… definitely worthwhile IMO

Aren’t they TS cables?

Yes, edited! Regardless, this is one thing that the banana-users have over us euro-plebs.

This a great bit of info! I find having a buff mult just encourages me to spread this voltage around too because why not once you got it patched up?

Passive mults frequently do the job. I use splitting a lot, and it’s usually a non issue. That said, there are obviously contexts where potential issues matter more. Hence my question! :slight_smile:

Tired of noisy stackables, I took a buff mult to have the best and it is !

If I’m interpreting the video correctly, DivKid’s new Mutes module also acts as a buff mult. He mentioned the inputs are “buffered and normalled” to the next input down. :+1:

[edit] he clarified, it’s not the sort of buff mult that necessarily preserves accurate pitch CV, but it does generally protect against issues with signal splitting.

There’s another module like this called Mutation by Buck Modular. Pretty good module, but you have to reach out to the guy directly to order it. Light up push buttons on it are pretty nice.

Ever since I added a Frames to my rack it hasn’t ceased to amaze and surprise me. It can just do so many things, despite being very basic and avoiding having a bunch of different modes. Aside from the easter egg LFO mode and alternate firmwares, you always know what the inputs, outputs, and knobs are going to do. But it lets you use your imagination in a way that I just haven’t come across with other modules. It’s like a “make your own module” module, essentially. Whether you want a morphing controller, a compressor, a CV sequencer, a chaos generator, a binary gate sequencer, whatever, you can do it just by thinking through how you want the channels to behave over a timeline.

Stages strikes me as similar and might be the second MI module I try out, but I can’t think of other modules that are so simple and open ended as Frames. if anybody has thoughts on it I’d love to hear them because I could do with more of this kind of thing in my rack.

20 characters of mandatory Cold Mac & Maths

Teletype probably is the opposite of fitting your criteria, but it’s definitely a build-your-own module that I love.

I had a different experience with Frames. Having written a general purpose keyframe animation system for a computer game engine (applicable to particle effect systems for any nuneric or color parmeter, and a few other things like weather intensity etc.) I wasn’t comfortable with Frames’ inability to map the timelines visually. Once you got past some pretty simple shapes – admittedly very useful ones – it was difficult to edit. I appreciated a lot about its design but I really wound up using it like a giant Shades, or sometimes like that new ADDAC Transition Controller.

Hoping for some suggestions to move my rig in a Serge-like direction, realizing that it’s an impossible end goal…

But still, this is where it’s at for the moment, and any ideas will be helpful…

I also have a Mother 32 and a vintage MS-20…

Edit - the Divkid Mutes is aspirational… and there are two 2-hp gaps in the Shared System…

For whatever reason I wound up with two DPOs, and would consider offloading the silver one… for now I want to keep both Maths and Optomixes…

Thanks…

c

Mudlogger - In Blue (Serge Modular album)

I think Frames is a really interesting idea and a brilliant module in many ways, but I ended up selling mine and putting a Maths in its spot with no regrets. I could see Frames being super useful if you are using it as a preset morpher, sequencer of sorts, or some other form of predictable, controllable, predetermined modulation, but what I wanted instead as a sort of “modulation centerpiece” was something that was able to output things different from those which I put in, or rather different from what I might think of myself - Frames doesn’t really do well (in my experience) in a generative/self-patching/experimental context, which is often what I want my modular for.

It also wasn’t designed for those things, but I ended up wanting something with a use that could transform as a patch progresses, whereas Frames needs its use to be predetermined, at least to a degree, by its nature.

I don’t have a Cold Mac, but it seems like it’d fit the same sort of goal of a ‘macro’ control, but with more potential for self-patching and more complex interplay between signals. I also think that Maths is deserving of its reputation…it can do so many different things (like the DUSG it is based on) but the mixing/offset/logic options in the middle, and the way they interact with the function generators themselves, is really special and versatile.

I suppose what would be a good addition for you might depend on whether you want to add things that are perhaps more prone to happy accidents (which I think Cold Mac and Maths would fit in with), or do you want another versatile module that is more for surgical precision?

In the midst of a whittling down. Would love to get this down to 6U/7U case soon, sales dependent : - )

Thinking of parting with Batumi and Stages (don’t know why, but the faders never really clicked with me), Wave Multipliers and other things I can get outboard (like Magneto for El Cap, and FH-1 for CV.OCD). I also might relinquish the MSCL and put my Heat on fulltime compression duties.

Maybe this is better suited for another thread, but curious if people have opinions on two things:

1. As I don’t use Maths’ more involved use cases (typically just using it for envelopes, cv mixing, attenuation, LFOs), do you think I could potentially replace it with a Zadar and a Quadratt or two? btw, I’d definitely box up Maths for a while to test the Zadar out rather than selling it directly on…

2. I’m really liking having both Just Friends and Tides 2 in the rack as two variations on a similar concept, curious if other people are using both?

Show us your modular system

What is the 1u thing above the Batumi?

I’ve got two Maths, and wouldn’t dream of letting either one go at this point…

I can somewhat relate to the faders not clicking for Stages and Batumi, there’s something really unintuitive about trying to position them in a repeatable way, as opposed to a knob. I guess I’m just so much more used to manipulating knobs, maybe from guitars and pedals, or the old MS-20… It feels more intuitive and reliable. The faders also feel like they’re a little bit sticking, so it’s easy to over-or under-shoot where you want to put them…

You’re making me really want to try the Tides2… I need a bigger rack!

Exactly! Well put regarding the UI of knobs vs. faders. I guess I’ll just let them float away and see if I truly miss them.

The 1U tile is a DIYed Poti switch! I definitely love Maths, but curious if I can live without it since it is…a bit big for how I use it.

Tides2 is pretty great!

Yes, this is exactly the point! It’s not supposed to be “involved,” really. It’s really immediate and flexible and there is no job below Maths’ pay grade.

Practically speaking, there is no other function generator with attenuversion on its outputs plus such flexible offset generation, mixing, and decent logic. Cold Mac and Stages are both fantastic but different: Cold Mac is better at weird logic, mixing, and macro control but needs to be fed envelopes or audio whereas Stages generates cool shapes but needs attenuversion, mixing, and logic.

You can’t do what Maths can do with 20hp of other modules. Trust me, I just spent a couple of weeks with a 0-Coast and a 4ms Pod32. Serious constraint made me appreciate the module more.

I have two Cold Macs and a Stages in the main case though, it’s like the fancy car I keep in the garage and only take out on Sundays :slight_smile:

I just wanted to say that I get tons of mileage out of Stages and Shades. Gives me almost everything I loved about Maths and a little more! I totally understand the knobs vs faders thing though. I will say that there are certain things I could do easily with Maths that require more cables and brain power. For some reason inverted envelopes (for pseudo-sidechain compression) are a lot more fiddly with Stages and Shades.

If I ever ditch my little 6u 90hp case for something (considerably) bigger I would definitely get another Maths though!