Eurorack: ask questions here

Yes, tanh[3] is great for CV – it can give envelopes a sort of “sticky” feel that I like.

It doesn’t have CV over the saturation amount, but you can put a VCA in front of it for that to some extent.

I can second the Tallin, awesome VCA with three different overdrive characters per channel

Like the Tallin for sure, but the Koma dual VCA is worth consideration too.

If you had 10hp to fill with what would you fill it with?

My situation:

Current system:

I have a plan for most of the remaining space: pulling the pico out then adding a Beast’s Chalkboard, a Cold MAC, a Planar 2, and a vpme.de precision adder. (Not immediately!!!)

I am leaning toward figuring out some combination of utilities… or a Three Sisters. I’m not really in a rush to fill it, but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions?

Thank you! Sorry if this question is too vague!

You shouldn’t need two precision adders, in my opinion. Beast’s Chalkboard is musical and a buffered mult to boot. :slight_smile:

I think Three Sisters is a great use of 10 HP ^-^

My thought: the Beast’s Chalkboard will more or less just be an octave shifter for the Cš-L, so a general purpose adder could still be useful?

Triple Sloths and a DPLPG

Triple Sloths and Nearness

Triple Sloths and W/

Triple Sloths and a 2hp blank

okay so the top row is a potential system, the bottom row is what i’d be selling off to make it happen. i would be selling the popcorn and little nerd and replacing with teletype, and I’d be selling the 0-coast to replace it with the other bastl stuff (diy). I love the 0-coast but I’m not at all interested in midi really at all (never touched the keyboard since i got a sequencer, oh i’d be selling my korg keyboard too lol I’m broke ! :stuck_out_tongue: ). I mostly use the 0-coast as a envelope generator, LFO, and master clock now which makes it feel a bit underutilized or redundant (but not completely redundant) since I would have other ways to do those things. i’m concerned about being without those because i don’t want JF or TT to be committing space to lfos or envelopes. in that vein do i need more envelopes and vcas – should i be getting a bastl skis instead of the tromsø for example? or radio music instead of granpa+spa plus 6hp of something else (i know theyre different but i’m into both, most of my endgoals at the moment involve both)? anyone have any thoughts recommendations, caution or encouragement to offer?

It may be worth noting that Teletype does not do lfo or envelopes without the txo expander.

TT can do linear envelopes or LFOs if you code it that way, using CV.SLEW and timers, but it’s not ideal and I wouldn’t rely on it as a primary modulation source without TXo.

I’m not sure about Tromso in a small system; I found it pretty situational even in a 15U setup. Skis is pretty limited for envelopes and probably a TXo would serve you better. Or if you could fit a Zadar in there that’d take care of a lot of modulation needs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the NE Loquelic Iteritas? I’ve been researching the different NE oscillators and this one seems to be the most versatile in terms of going from softer sounds through to wild noise.

One specific question I’ve been looking for an answer on is how valuable the Sync input on the V2 is - any use cases where this adds significant functionality? I don’t tend to find myself using sync on other oscillators all that much.

I own the Loquelic Iteritas and it’s a really wild, powerful oscillator. But I have to say, I still have a hard time getting what i want out of it, and I mostly spend time fiddling until i find a good bass tone, or harsh noise/high-end tone, depending on what i need. IME you kinda have to wrestle with it (esp. if you want it to track v/oct, and you have it under modulation… it’s pretty difficult and likes to go atonal).

I’d recommend it but it’s “advanced” I’d say. I’ve also never used the Sync input, can’t comment on that >_>

Thanks, really interesting to hear - I’ve found it hard to judge from a lot of Youtube demos (which are typically very modulation heavy) how easily tamable it is. I didn’t think it would be as difficult as you described!

I don’t think it’s difficult as much as… it’s really deep and you should take the time to learn each knob more than just a “twiddle knob, get awesome sound!”. Something I’m still working on lol

I had the Loquelic Iteritas Percido for a while: same thing with a bunch of extra modulation. With either the LI or LIP, “soft sounds” really only exist in a narrow sliver of the possible settings. Unless you’re really into harsh industrial music, I would look at these modules as interesting sources of sound that are really easy to animate and that produce gobs of harmonic content to filter, eq or otherwise sculpt (subtractively—you should seldom need to add harmonics) downstream. Just keep in mind that the gobs of harmonics tend to be pretty dissonant and aliased (the Noise Engineering aesthetic).

I don’t have one any more to record a demo for you, but the sync jack does exactly what sync does on other oscillators: resets it (both A and B on the LI). So at audio rates (all that matters here) you’re kind of mixing in an externally-imposed discontinuity atop whatever other stuff is already happening. Keep in mind that the LI/LIP is already internally playing around with sync: that master switch determines whether A or B sync one another. It’s a sync party.

I’d say that the LI is not as harsh as it seems. The YouTube demos are a modulation fest. It has an exorbitant amount of range, and that range contains a lot of dissonant tones. But there’s a lot of pretty stuff, if you can contain your modulation urge :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, not necessarily what I was hoping to hear but really useful! I think I might just need to find somewhere to try one in person and judge how much I like the gobs of harmonics.

The LI would be replacing a Rings so maybe it’s too big of a jump in a different direction. I absolutely love Rings, but after using it in almost everything I’ve made over the last 2 years I fancy mixing things up. I have an Instruo Ts-L, so looking for something to compliment that and offer something different - maybe something springs to mind?

I’m currently working on a patch where Digitakt is providing the clock via Faderhost, which allows me to add swing to Rene sequences. However, the Echophon timing always stays binary and is not following the swing (as it calculates the BPM on the average time between each clock pulse). This made me think now: is any Eurorack delay that actually factors in swing? And would this even be possible? Thought the fine folks at Line might have the answer :slight_smile:

The D0 will work with a swinging clock but that’s the only Eurorack delay I’ve really worked with so far. One thing you might try is, if you have an LFO that lets you adjust the pulse width of its square wave, clocking that and sending it to the Echophon’s modulation input, and getting the pulse width to rise and fall in sync with your clock swing. Or, if the LFO reacts to the swinging clock right you might be able to just send that into the mod input without worrying about the pulse width.