Eurorack: ask questions here

this is the one i got https://github.com/vaeinoe/moraydular/tree/master/powerbus

i’m wondering if i can use uzeus / row power with it?

There are some things you lose when “upgrading” to Rene 2:

• logic functions
  • two individual triggers from one Snake pattern

I like Rene 2 a lot and find it surprisingly intuitive after being on the fence about the XYZC channels, but I’m really missing the above two functions. Especially in conjunction with the Mysteron it was great to send one clock into XCLOCK and get 2 gates and 2 CV values. So my conclusion is that I won’t sell Rene 1 and rather keep both versions :slight_smile:

It appears the bus board you have is designed for power input via spade connectors rather than via ribbon cable, so I wouldn’t use it with a Row Power or uZeus, since they output via ribbon cable (or flying bus boards, which are just a ribbon cable with special connectors).

If you want to use a small module for power like the two you mentioned, using a flying bus or something like the 4ms Bus Stick is a better choice.

This probably won’t help but I can’t really imagine using my DPO again without RxMx (and File).

Hi all.

I have 96HP for a small rig, including power. Will be coupled to an OP-1, a Keystep, and a Norns. Want to create percussion sequences, possibly play samples, add effects to audio input, and output it so the OP-1 can record it.

I have zero experience in modular.

Go :slight_smile:

Modular percussion is a fun, but very strange beast. You could easily tie up 96HP searching for a good snare sound, say. There are dedicated modules like Akemie’s Taiko that you could use to this end, but I think before advising you to buy some module I should ask: what about these things do you need modular for?

For “typical” or “traditional” use cases involving percussion, sample playback and effects, my strong feeling is that modular solutions tend to be expensive, cumbersome and/or underpowered. By typical, I mean things like creating bread-and-butter drum sequences, set-and-forget delay, reverb, samples-as-ambience or samples-as-voice, etc. For these things, a good sampler and maybe some pedals would get you way further.

All that said, I’m not saying there isn’t an interesting 96HP rack out there dedicated to these things, but just to try and discern what your expectation is going in.

Excellent answer.

I want to play with the sounds from the start. I enjoy mangling samples, but also like creating the sounds and then sequencing them in stages onto tape.

Also I like the tactile nature and learning new things.

I also want to adjust sounds and effects based upon conditions I’ll program. And I have a tiny space, and racks allow me to build up a wall not across a desk.

:slight_smile:

Maybe a weird detour, but one of my favorite drum sources is the iPad app Patterning 2…

Slight tangent, maybe, but I don’t think there’s anything in Eurorack that can compete with the musicality and sound of the Double Knot for percussive ideas. I’ve tried lots of modules and I sold almost all of them. Not becuase they were awful, more because this guy is awesome.
http://lorre-mill.com/doubleknot/
It can interact with Eurorack quite easily through a simple passive converter box.
The only Eurorack drum/percussion module I’ve kept, after trying many, is the Noise Engineering Numeric Repetitor - it can invent beats I would never think of.
This is just me, though…

Do you have CV sequencing taken care of? If you do, a one shot sample playback module can get you very far and there are a few that are 4hp (Radio Music, Disting mk4 and maybe 3, TipTop One come to mind). You don’t get two samples simultaneously with these modules but you can just feed them a steady clock for triggering samples and use CV to choose which sample you’re playing back. You don’t even need a trigger sequencer this way, just a clock. If you really want rests you can add a blank sample to your playback module.

These can be your own samples of course so in the way you talk about building things up on tape your could use your modules to make percussion sounds, chop them up and feed them to your playback module.

Trying to avoid screens :slight_smile:

At some point I’ll need to add one to my setup, I know that’s coming, but I’m holding out as long as I can. I spend 12 hours a day working on a screen. :slight_smile:

I hear you… if it helps, Suzanne Cianni uses an iPad running Animoog to supplement her Buchla rig…

And a second one for controlling the H9.

I did not know that, cool.

I’ve fiddled with the H9 but didn’t get a very good sense of how I would use it.

So you need:

1. An output module (unless the OP-1 can trim/attenuate incoming signals)
  2. Effects: what sort of effects? How much modulation control do you want over parameters?
  3. Samples
  4. Create percussion sequences: this is a trigger sequencer of some kind, sound sources, and hopefully modulation of these sources

This is a lot to fit into 92hp, and also there are a lot of unanswered questions here.

I guess my question would be, why modular? What are you looking to get out of a modular setup, that’s specific to modular?

You already have two devices that should be able to fit most of these requirements. I actually don’t know a ton about Norns, but it’s a computer. It had better be able to do all or a significant chunk of what you’re wanting. I also don’t know a ton about the OP-1 but the feature set you’re describing sounds like what I know about the OP-1.

“Why modular?” Is always a good question to be asking yourself :slight_smile:

I’ve been asking myself “why music gear” every day, let alone why modular! :smiley:

I guess the why modular question is answered as: I want to explore something I know nothing about, as I imagine fun mistakes will ensue. I also like the fact it’s hands on, with no screen, it’s tactile. And it’s aesthetically pleasing - I’m a designer, how things look and feel are very important to me (I’ve been known to take two years to choose a lamp, and then take it to be painted in a colour I want). Also I like how it can slowly build over time, and can constantly change.

Why not use the OP-1 for it all? Because the OP-1 is limited in many regards, I find the sequencers to be very basic. They work often but not always.

Why not the norns? I don’t own it yet, I’ll be ordering on the 19th I think. But that scratches a different itch, and hopefully the modular scratches the other. They will hopefully combine well.

I think I’d like to start slowly, with power and some basic effects like reverb, delay etc. Again, the OP-1 has these but they don’t sound great, and require a lot of recording, sampling, adding effect two, recording, sampling, adding effect 2.1 etc. Each time you get more noise. It’s fun though. But I think for now, to start, I’d like effects. I’ll then add on sound generation and possibly the Hermod for all my sequencing needs.

Also, I don’t want a desk full of synths and bits, I want it racked, as I have a very small space for music.

Hope that works out, I’ve ended up with a rack AND the desk full of synths and bits anyway :smiley:

Same. Plus, unracked modules, DIY work of various kinds in various states of progress, little spice jars of 4 different kinds of screws and 3 different kinds of washers, a couple of stray cats…

(This is all my opinion, not the forum’s)

If you’re primarily doing signal processing of external signals, you’ll need to get your signals up to Eurorack levels, which are 6db higher than line, and then back down. This is usually done with a ‘guitar interface’ module though your line signal can be anything. Linked search of modules is not exhaustive, but a starting point. Getting back down to line can be less of a problem if your mixing solution can trim, but if you’re recording directly into the OP-1 or Norns I believe you’ll need to bring the signal levels down first.

If you’re looking for the traditional idea of “effects”, there are some. Like drums, effects are not something that modular necessarily does better than non modular (there’s a whole thread devoting to discussing this actually). But, there are some interesting reverbs and delays. It’s worth looking for a few that sound interesting and either trying them out directly or watching YouTube videos about them to get a feel for what they sound like. A short list might be (anyone, chime in with your favorite):

• Erbe-verb
  • Echophon
  • Chronoblob
  • Magneto
  • Folktek Alter

The places where modular really shines in the realm of signal processing are (IMO)

1. modulation over parameters
  2. ‘borderless’ signal processing

The first is pretty self-explanatory: basically, a good modular effects unit will give you control to automate changes to some or all parameters of a given effect. This does mean however that you’ll want modulation sources. I completely recommend a Maths as a first modulation source, because it’s such a useful module and also one that you have no problem selling if you decide Maths (or modular for that matter) is not for you. Nearly everyone wants a Maths at some point.

For 2, what I mean is that, modular pretty much lets you route signals however you want. Its reverbs and delays are fine, but you could also take incoming audio and use it to modulate the frequency of another signal. Or split that signal into a bunch of frequency bands and route them into different places in stereo space. Or feed that audio signal into something that will derive triggers from it, and use those triggers to fire very short envelopes so you are essentially getting a sawtooth sound that is related to your incoming audio. Or… ==insert Lines suggestions here==

You can kind of do anything you want, is the point. That sort of ‘what if I do this, oh neat, what if I try that’ is the draw, IMO. Also, the fact that audio signals and signals for controlling modulation are the same thing (at least in Eurorack), which opens up all kinds of possibilities.

I don’t want to discourage you from getting into modular! But I think if you put together a rack to do reverb and delay, you’ll be disappointed in the return on investment versus just getting a pedal. I hear the neat & tidy aspect of the rack, and if cost isn’t a concern, then have at it. I do think though that effects are one of the places where modular is not as effective as other kinds of gear, if you’re thinking of effects in the ‘traditional’ sense.

FWIW, as a noob, i feel i was really lucky to already have an Avalanche Run on hand when i broke into modular, and it still sits at the end of my chain despite now owning clouds, disting, and a pico DSP.

I might get a chronoblob one day, but at least from a just starting out standpoint, having a strong reverb/delay pedal has been absolutely wonderful.