Eurorack Case

IMO the biggest disadvantage is cost, especially for power supplies.

2 Likes

If you go with a power supply that uses flying bus cables, you could just pop out one supply and insert it into the case you want to use. Pretty easy. Limitation is you couldn’t use them (cases) all together at any point… unless you rigged a slot or hole in your cases (leave some open hp) to daisy chain the bus cables to power multiple cases

1 Like

not that I’m trying to advert what I have on the FS page or anything :grin:

Cool, very good food for thought here. The Frap Plus series was very interesting to me for their expansion idea, although it doesn’t solve the power supply question gracefully - that said a 48hp power supply will always make a nice lunchbox PSU later on.

Definitely supporting the 42hp Pulp Logic case as well. Just got one for a focused approach around a Morphagene. Note that they are offering a beefed up power supply for this case now, so no problem with a couple of digital modules.

Yeah, it looks super functional to me and it’s priced right. Makes me want to downsize!

I’m kind of in a similar situation. I would like to move away from one monolithic case to 2 smaller ones that work more like a cohesive instrument, instead of being a collection of all sorts of things (will have to post some ideas and thoughts in the Making stand alone modular instruments thread soon). But one of the big questions I’m facing is indeed: what happens if I connect them together?
I think the grounding issues with more than one case are mostly there if the PSU does not connect the internal power distribution to protective earth (like many hybrid ones that use meanwell bricks, but that’s an easy fix if you happen to experience problems, since these can be replaced by a brick that does connect) and if the impedance of the ground plane is too high (as in flying busboards or standard busboards with very light ground planes).
But in my experience you can still get away with it in many situations. The most critical case (pun not intended) is probably when you have a high amplification involved somewhere, like if you need to take a low level signal (guitar, mic) into the modular, because the noise will be amplified together with the rest, at least that’s where we had most issues.

This said, there might be another way. Maybe you don’t have to interconnect the modulars to start with. Maybe treating them as individual, independent instruments is also a way? I’m trying to figure out what the pros and cons of this are, for now the main advantage I see is that it’s easier to pack everything up and take the instrument to rehearsal/jam/live performance. If you have two cases and your patches rely heavily on interconnections you have to dismantle/recreate half of the patch each time.

This is just anecdotal and maynbe irrelevant, but I’ve connected my modular with a non-grounding PSU brick to a Korg Volca Beats and Arturia MicroBrute (both also on non-grounding PSUs) and haven’t had any issues.

Yeah I’ve done that as well without issues (I have a smaller case that uses the same old Meanwell brick that is known to cause problems with grounding, but it’s all packed up atm).
No idea why sometimes you get all sorts of problems and sometimes not. I guess it’s the nature of such a complex system. Is it a specific module? Is it the busboards? Is it the lack of grounding? Once you have a problem it’s really hard to figure out where it comes from, at least for me.

FWIW we connect multi-case systems at Intellijel HQ all the time, and often play them really loudly through studio monitors, never had any kind of problems. Having good grounding at your power source is very important though. When we went to Superbooth last year initially we tried to use an adapter from north american to european power plugs but had all sorts of funny little things coming up. Going out to the store and buying some proper IEC cables to connect to the power bricks cleared it right up.

I’ve also played venues where I had funny noises in my system, usually when it’s been connected to the same power as someone else’s or some other equipment that was probably putting out a ton of noise. I’ll probably invest in my own power conditioner next time I go to play a Eurorack show.

1 Like

if you decide to go bigger, there’s a guy in the chicago burbs selling a portable powered 6u 120HP Monorocket case for what appears to be a huge deal - he’s asking $475, those cases are $800 new and I’ve seen them for >$600 used. i thought of this thread when i saw the listing the other day. it’s not currently listed (i think it timed out), but he’s been listing it on and off for months. he’s also selling a few other things that i’ve been wanting but decided weren’t worth the drive - if you’re down to pay for the case and shipping I could send it to you?

Regarding power, I’ve used uZeus, Make Noise Mini-PWR, or my current Intellijel TPS30 MAX supplies.

Input DC power has come from transformer-based wall warts, a Mean Well switcher, and a Li-ion battery via DC-DC switcher.

AC power has been everything imaginable: half-broken outlets in bars, generator power in the mountains at festivals, measured 94VAC from farm-like environment wiring, you name it.

I’ve had zero issues with power, but then I don’t expect a random pile of circuits based on garden variety opamps to act like a Lavry D/A converter, either. YMMV. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is the make noise skiff a solid purchase? It seems the Intellijel cases sound like the ones to go for? I’m definitely into the idea of building a focussed instrument not a wormhole of possibilities…I have a laptop for that.

I will chime in that my humble uZeus with the Boost supply has never caused any problem, in any location. It’s running a not-yet-filled 6U.

Problem I’ve found with uzeus is I’ve used all the sockets on the flying bus board and still have loads of space in my 6u case. I see that it can take a third bus board though. Need to check the requirements though. Or buy larger modules :joy:

Yes, I had to buy a third flying bus board…They are a bit short for 104hp, but expandable. My current case is 2 1/8" deep which would be tricky with another supply I think.

1 Like

I’ve not shopped for a case for a long while so I’m asking from a place of ignorance. Is there a reasonably priced 7u 104hp case out there that can use standard 1u modules? I’ve pretty much decided I’m stopping myself at 2 of these cases. I already have one which I built myself (including the PSU) but if there is a readily available option out there that isn’t too expensive, I’m all for it.

Do you mean PulpLogic/Erthenvar by “standard”?

In any case, these can be made if you have access to a laser cutter. Pretty easy to edit if you are familiar with vector graphics, but there might be one that would work for you as-is.

Yes - I realize now this may not be the correct vernacular. I already have a Make Noise CV Bus, Synthrotek, and PulpLogic/Erthenvar modules.

These are great - I remember seeing them somewhere a while back but you’ve reminded me once again. This would save a lot of time if I can find a cutter.

1 Like

let me know if you can’t - I have easy access to a completely amazing makerspace and we might be able to work something out. I’ll be there pretty regularly working on a few projects for the foreseeable future anyway!

There’s supposed to be enough wiggle room in the NLC cases to make them work with either Intellijel or PulpLogic/etc. I tweaked mine since it seems like the measurements were closer to the PulpLogic spacing but I wanted mine to have a precise fit for the Intellijel rail spacing.