Eurorack Case

i have a 42hp intellijel case and i have only great things to say about it. in fact i am even using it for a very similar purpose. well made, sturdy power, etc.

0 Likes

http://pulplogic.com/product/lbz42/

0 Likes

These look great, I’m in the UK though looks like they are only US.

0 Likes

It will ship to UK for $50. They sell on Etsy

0 Likes

Cool thanks…then we get hit with the import taxes and hassle. They do look great though.

0 Likes

Are the Doepfer low cost cases in any way inferior in terms of performance?

0 Likes

The Intellijel 4U cases have a better power supply (can support a bigger load, more connections). If you’re going with the Doepfer case, it would be worth trying to figure out what you plan to put into it alongside the Phonogene and Wogglebug, and calculating the load (ModularGrid is your friend!!). I think having the 1U tile row in the Intellijel case would be a helpful addition to a small setup.

0 Likes

My two cents: whatever you do, stay away from Pittsburgh Modular. I have a Cell 48 and two Cell 90’s that I’ve had to gut because their power supplies were terrible. Extreme amounts of noise on digital modules (Nebulae, Clouds, Rings), and my sputnik oscillator couldn’t produce a sine wave in that case (everything was a saw).

0 Likes

I’ll offer some advice here and suggest that a very small case (sub-84 to 104hp) should mainly be considered as an option for experienced users who have a very clear idea what they want for a specialized tool or set of tools.

The cost of a standard sized case is not too much more, and the resale value and speed of resale is likely to be more favorable. This matters because if you decide you like the modular experience you will be looking to upgrade that case in a month or two.

With that said, it’s pretty amazing what can be done with a small case these days.

1 Like

Thanks for the input…food for thought. :+1:

0 Likes

there’s a couple of threads you might want to read about cases and make sure you read through this one:

0 Likes

woah! that’s crazy/terrible. thanks for the cautionary tale.

0 Likes

Yeah the current rating of the PSU is not the only thing that matters, stability, noise etc. are all very important and need to be carefully checked, wherever possible.

0 Likes

No.
Power supply is the same as the non low cost ones. They just leave the bare wood frame rather than wrapping it and putting metal hardware on them.

0 Likes

Their newer cases have hefty power supplies. You will find plenty of people using them without any problems (and their old cases too). Using the Structure 208, the only digital module I’ve had issues with was an Audio Damage module, but I’ve read that others had problems even in Doepfer cases.

You can find bad things about almost any case/module combo…there are a lot of factors, including how the rails power up/etc. Noise issues can also come from grounding problems related to your USB powered devices like a qunexus/grid/etc and how they interact with your case, rails, and power.

0 Likes

Yes, there are probably more ill-behaved modules and combinations of modules than power supplies.

0 Likes

I’m a Monorocket loyalist. Sad it seems their production has slowed (stopped?), but they rule. So much that I waited awhile to track down a used one when I got a slightly bigger case :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I’ll offer some advice here and suggest that a very small case (sub-84 to 104hp) should mainly be considered as an option for experienced users who have a very clear idea what they want for a specialized tool or set of tools.

this.
i’ve restricted myself to a single row 61hp case and decision-making is very hard.

2 Likes

Do you see the fact that you need to make decisions as a problem?
Or formulated differently, do you feel limited in your ability to create what you want and do you think that would not be the case with more room?

0 Likes

not a problem, no, i thought hard about the size and went for a compromise, ever so slightly on the restrictive side, since i wouldn’t want it to become a money-sink.

however i am sensitive to some lost freedom, and also it is a time-sink - at least for me, endlessly reconfiguring on modulargrid. that said, endless fun so not regretting the slightest bit. but… “need more hp” : ]

1 Like