Eurorack: discussion, advice, learning, questions (archive)

Oh wow - I’ll have to try that later. Great tip!

No, I think the select bus is one of the non-power parts of the connector. Doepfer probably calls it the CV bus. Whether those modules use 5V is a separate issue that you can check on the manufacturer’s website or ModularGrid.

From the pictures in on of the MN manuals, it’s one of the “pins” on the power connection

I know for sure Tempi uses 12V and not 5 but I’m not sure about the Rene

Been thinking about using a Trigger Riot to send gates to a Precision Adder then into a Switch Multiple to get really interesting grooves out of my Drum modules that I can control with the turn of a knob or flick of a switch. Just wondering if I’m missing any pieces of this puzzle or should just skip the whole Precision Adder part :thinking:

Check this post:

You’ll see the technical implementation of the select bus on the top of the thread.

In short, like @alanza said, the 5V is not used.

1 Like

i think what you might want is a logic “or” circuit (like in mutable kinks, cold mac or many others), so that if one or both of the inputs fire a gate, you have a gate at the output. I don’t have a precision adder, but if you have two overlapping 5v gates it should send a 10v pulse, whereas a logic circuit will output the highest voltage available, not added together. Precision adder could be good if you’re using it to add accents or modulate something, but you may need to attenuate the gates depending on their voltage. I also haven’t seen a logic module with something like “on/off” switches so you maybe would need to pair it with a switch or mute module to turn on/off the additional triggers. Anyways I wouldn’t use a precision adder for this, but it seems like its definitely useful for combining CV!

1 Like

One can do a great deal with the Trigger Riot on its own. I would stick to using it solo for a while and finding out where it lacks for you before adding in other modules.

Forgive me if you have already used a Trigger Riot and have come up with the solution to use a precision adder and switch multiple… I do not understand this solution but feel intrigued.

I have used Mutable Branches as a complement to the Riot and currently use a Beast-Tek Amoeba to complement the Riot to produce further variation or interesting grooves. One has access to an exceptional number of grooves in this way… immediately with knob action!

Finally, the Trigger Riot is my favorite module of all times.

2 Likes

I see. So I definitely should try coupling the Riot with a logic gate module as mentioned previously by @renegog . I’ve not heard of the Beast-Tek Amoeba… time to go googling I guess, lol

Would using a quantizer after the Precision Adder help perhaps?

I have zero eurorack experience. Since I learned of the Expert Sleepers modules I’ve dreamt of a small skiff of mostly control modules (e.g. MI Stages, Intellijel Planar 2) to use with SuperCollider. Has anyone tried this, maybe with e.g. VCV Rack, Max, or PD? What sorts of modules provide things that are difficult in virtual modular or just complement it well?

if you’re using the precision adder for melodies, definitely. this video talks about that use case, has some other helpful info too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh my thank goodness I was onto something. gonna watch this tomorrow as it is currently 2am where I am and I’m dead. Thank you my good sir/madame/human/alien :kiss::kiss:

1 Like

아니에요 and welcome to lines (i’m the sir/madame/human/alien that recommended octomo to u over on reddit :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

well damn, what a small world it is here on the interwebs :joy:

2 Likes

What would be the issue with combining multiple triggers in a precision adder? From what I understand if you fire them at once they would simply clip inside the adder, outputting basically the same as you would expect from an or combiner.
Is there something I’m missing?

2 Likes

yes i think you’re right, the voltage cant exceed the power rails right so it would clip at <12v (i think?) most modules would probably be fine receiving a trigger at 10v I’d imagine. logic seems cleaner to me but doesn’t really save that much space or anything so its just a preference thing i suppose~*~

2 Likes

I picked up an Amoeba last week and love it so far… it’s similar to the left hand side of Marbles but with way more options/outputs/patterns.

1 Like

Signal flow / filter / LPG question

Have recently reached the stage of having real options for my signal path (optomix, DPLPG, 3S x 2, six-channel VCA, all leading to a Sound Stage with its 20 fixed filters). One challenge here is actually being able to repatch and retweak the more fundamental aspects of a voice (LPG into filter or filter into LPG? Envelope into LPG or VCA or filter cutoff? Which of the several distortion options in the chain is my go-to?) without fear of ‘losing something’ in returning to the original (one of the dozen settings getting tweaked and not returned to its initial value). Some of this is heightened by the seeming lack of documentation on the DPLPG (is it distorting past 2 V on the input, or is the source too hot, or is this just its ‘character’?) I’ve actually found the Optomix (often lauded for its ‘grit’) much more gentle than Meng Qi’s efficient stroke of passive brilliance – but maybe I’m missing something here?

Does anyone have advice on a general path to follow // alternatives to that path worth exploring? At some point I picked up an osc -> VCA / LPG -> filter -> mixer -> effects -> filter 2 -> mixer 2 -> effects habit that leaves me with so so many permutations of a single sequence cascading from a single point of modulation with nearly no room to repatch and just ‘try things out’ without tweaking like… Dozens of params across a half-dozen modules. This is all part of the fun and I know deeper understanding will (and has) come with time but I worry I’ve grown comfortable in a method that’s ultimately a bit restrictive // cumbersome compared to say… Osc --> filter (envelope in cut off) --> effects --> mixer. I’m doing some satisfyingly detailed sculpting, I think, but growing reluctant to take things back to the drawing board so… Here’s hoping for fresh data!

1 Like

I can’t answer all of this but I have a DPLPG and I don’t think I ever heard it distort with an input that wasn’t already overdriven.

Same for my Optomix. Though I thought at one point that it did. I actually sent a question to Tony from Makenoise about that years ago asking if the distortion I got from it was by design or not (it sounded nice but was unexpected), only to facepalm hard after he nicely answered and I realized the distortion happened later in the signal chain, in my case in my external mixer :slight_smile:.

So, it’s very possible that the distortion you have comes from somewhere before or after your DPLPG…

1 Like