Eurorack: discussion, advice, learning, questions (archive)

I don’t doubt that! When I look at world class instruments such as the Grid or say, Chase Bliss Audio effect pedals, I don’t view them as expensive, but rather as valuable.

That being said, I’m wondering if there’s any practical reason to stagger my purchases, or if it makes more sense to just save up and get them both in one feel swoop?

1 Like

You could start with keystep as it’s the simplest element and works standalone. Then bring the ansible later, and grid last?

Also, take into account the amount of modules / voices you have. There’s such a thing as too many sequencers

I already have a Keystep and know/like how it functions with my rig (currently Mangrove, Plaits, Tides 1, and Clouds - I sold everything else I had to clear my mind and save up some money), but I was wondering if adding Ansible will expand the functionality of Keystep - specifically for sequencing two voices without an extra adapter, or if I’m better off just saving up for Ansible and Grid.

TLDR: Any reason to get Ansible without Grid or will it be the same as just using the Keystep as is?

it will probably let you recover some “shift-register”-like functionality, and do a little polyphony. So in that sense, Ansible is not useless if you buy it first. It’ll probably make you itch for a grid though.

Personally I bought grid first because (a) I’m very interested in the Max programming as well as the modular, and (b) I already had Teletype.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with the Hermod? Trying to decide on a sequencer.

This one might be helpful :slight_smile:

If i remember correctly @trickyflemming said some pretty nice things about using the Hermod!

That reaktor sketch is very helpful, thanks!

1 Like

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but lately I’ve been wondering if anyone has successfully merged their Euro practice with an iPad for sequencing and for playing…My full immersion into electronic production started about 6 years ago with iOS apps like Nanostudio, but I have yet to try to use my iPad or iPhone as an interface with my Eurorack setup or DAW.

I’m wondering now if anyone has experience with iOS sequencers that have interesting (Monome-esque (-; ) approaches, with features like unquantized looping, probability, etc…and curious about the technical details regarding what you use to getting it all speaking CV. I just feel like I have this untapped potential with an 2016 iPad Pro wasting away and would love to unlock it!

2 Likes

Hi, I got the Squarp pyramid and it’s a great sequencer. The Hermod seems to have a similar engine. There are great YouTube tutorials out there.

I run a sequencer called something like little midi sequencer on my ancient iPad first generation, it’s ok but I like that it randomizes note order…

I also run audio into my iPad Air 1 through a Apogee Duet for effects processing.

Both are great and I’m barely scratching the surface of what is possible…

My focus at this point is just on wrapping my head around the actual modules!

Hi !

After about 3 years of wanting to build a system!! I’m finally about to make the deep dive! I have a couple question I was hoping y’all could help me with:

1. My current production background is very hip hop sample based (bring a loop into a NI maschine and recreate a new loop). Now I don’t want my rig to be entirely set around this, but sampling and sequencing is still important to me. I’m fascinated by the grids & monome in general so I was thinking about bringing Ansible into the rig and getting grids. Norns seems really great as a sampler but that’s a lot of bread on top of a new rack. Are there any modules that sample and chop MPC style that I could look into ? Is the BitBox the best option here?

2. How good is the Magneto? I have access to a few Memory Man’s and delay pedals, but this seems like it can take care of those tasks all in one module…

Lastly, Here’s my draft of the rack … I know I’m eventually going to want to add some type of envelope ADSR. So any recommendations for that would be great too. Was looking at Just Friends.

Thanks to anyone who replies !

As my rack becomes more focused on physical modeling, I want to add a polarizing mixer dedicated to my delay feedback lines. Specifically, one that lets me do some creative things with those feedback lines to shape the tones in more interesting ways. Wondering if anybody here has experimented with similar stuff and has any recommendations.

I have 3 main options at the moment: Triatt, Klavis Mixwitch, and SSF Blender.

Triatt is super simple, not much to do with it on its own but paired with some switches and mults throughout my system it should give me something interesting. What appeals most about it is the ability to switch channels from negative, bipolar, and positive behavior so I can have very specific manual control over it.

Mixwitch, I think, would be most fun. Paired with a mult, I could sequence through different amounts and polarities of feedback which could be really cool.

Blender won’t flip polarity so I’d need to pair it with a 2hp inverter or something, but I know there could be some really cool sounds in there, crossfading between various signals with smoother behavior than the Mixwitch.

I can’t really try all three though, so if anyone has thoughts or experiences on what each of these modules bring to the table please share!

at first glance, I don’t think Grids will do much good unless you also add some things for it to trigger. I suppose you could trigger Elements/Morphagene/Clouds/Maths envelopes with it, but if you want to focus on getting drums (I mean that term loosely, as many things can act as “drums” in modular) in there you might need to add some thing to serve as such or else you’ll have more triggers/sequencing than voices, especially with Ansible & Rene added in. it seems like maybe it’d be good to focus on having the modular serve a specific purpose to start (such as acting as a synth voice or for processing) and then expand from there. there’s a risk of getting a bunch of super deep modules at once and then you have $3k invested and can only kinda-sorta do anything with it since you may lack supporting modules like VCAs, modulation, mixing, etc.

I’d personally consider starting with Ansible or Rene/Maths/Elements or Maths/Morphagene something like that to get a feel for them, and then go from there so it can complement what you already can do with Maschine. things like Bitbox don’t appeal a lot to me as they seem to focus on doing things that I’d probably rather do with a computer, but everyone has their own preferences.

Without having direct experience with it, the Rossum Assiml8or looks most like what I would want out of a sampler in eurorack. It’s 8 channel, lots of modulation input. Expensive though. I always think an Expert Sleepers Disting is a good choice for people entering eurorack because it offers many functions in a small package, which lets you play with different modules effectively. Mk3 and 4 both do sample playback I believe. You could also get one or two or three Radio Musics, which can be had cheaply and can function as one hit sampler players, albeit somewhat awkward ones. Is it important to you to sample at the time or are you willing/able to work with devices only oriented towards playback?

Just Friends only does AD/AHD envelopes, and really only one set of linked ones. If you’re strictly looking for an envelope generator there are probably better options, especially for ADSR. However, JF does many other things. I wouldn’t discourage you away from it unless you’re really set on ADSR or more than one independent envelope.

Do you intend to sequence tracks with this, or is it more a sonic laboratory/sounds production setup to bring material into your current sampler-oriented workflow?

Regarding feedback patch mixing: To further complicate your decision making (that’s why we’re here right? :wink: ) I’ll throw in another suggestion— Bastl ABC + mutable kinks. ABC in “stereo” mode where you have three inputs with adjustable levels on the left normalled to the right, then put one of these mixes through Kinks inverter for a crude but tweakable approximation of what you were discussing (or invert 1 signal on the way in, etc). Plus of course you have the bonus other fun stuff from kinks waiting for ya.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to go with that particular combo since the 5hp of ABC would throw my row into a funk. Curious to know what kind of effects you can get from rectifying the feedback loop with Kinks though.

I find my Befaco A*B+C to be handy in feedback patches. Really vanilla on the surface but a bunch of possible uses that can give wild results.

1 Like

just for accuracy, Just Friends CAN approximate ADSR with one of its run modes.

That said, I thought I would care a lot more about ADSR when I started building my rack and I’ve never really missed it.

@smbols idle curiosity: what do you use for your delay lines?

4 Likes

For sure about the 5hp thing. Regarding rectifying: that is a good question worth exploring! Haha. What Kinks will also do is basic inversion (that a bunch of other modules will do too, as you know), my idea being one mix of sources that is non-inverted and a separate mix of these sources with an inverted mix out to switch between (with a somewhat minimal amount of cabling, if that means anything)

that module has caught my eye several times. I love how basic and open the design is. I had forgotten about it but that could be a really cool option. Have you tried using it to ring modulate a feedback path at all? That’s something I haven’t tried doing yet–I’ll need to experiment with it some time this weekend!

@alanza: Currently a Reflex Liveloop which you can do some awesome stuff with as a Karplus Strong delay. The onboard bit-mangling produces all sorts of crazy effects and can lock on to various harmonics–very cool when you sequence it in tandem with the pitch. I just got a Mungo d0 as well, but I haven’t installed it in the case yet and it’ll be a while before I’m able to get ahold of a Zoom module for it and really get into the super-short-delay goodness.

1 Like