Eurorack: discussion, advice, learning, questions (archive)

Clouds into Rings into Tensor and back into Clouds :grin:

1 Like

If I were you (starting over and ready for DIY), I’d start with a product, basically a DIY semi modular, sounds ace!

Plaits has a wavetable synth… ive gone through around 20 different simple - complex osc’s now and plaits is in my top 3… For ~ $220 usd you get soooo much. You might also look into the sssr Kotelnikov, solid wavetable osc with built in looping / triggered envelope gen & vca…

loqueliq iteritas and dpo are my other favorites…

3 Likes

… and then into Malgorithm! :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Yep, that’s on my future list. That or the Waldorf module: I feel like if you want wavetable, Waldorf, but the E352 is definitely cooler.

@hermbot @Whatwetalkabout @xenus_dad
I am with you all. I’d rather avoid hipster judgy elitism than avoid common gear. And it’s true, VCV has got me hard on Rings and Clouds. I’ve even doubled down on my anti-elitist stance by making cheesy '90s Eurodance in VCV with Rings and Clouds. :rofl:

@forrest oooh, Kotelnikov looks cool… I’ll have to see if I can 1:1 it with the E352 at some point. Thanks!

I think you should get a 104hp skiff and fill it with nothing but Cold Mac.

I don’t really think you should do this, but I wish someone would.

11 Likes

Would it actually make any sound?

The Cold Mac Ideas thread has a number of self-patched sound-producing patches for Cold Mac. With 13 of them, I’ll bet you could come up with more.

Here is one:

Somebody who is not me, please do this.

Yep! You can make sound with just one Cold Mac. This patch was inspired by @Galapagoose’s post above.

1 Like

Is there any interesting somewhat-alternative to Just Friends? I’m reworking my setup to 4U 104hp and Just Friends has been a staple in my plans, but it being kinda big and expensive I’m considering my options. I want plenty of modulation which would work together, not necessarily clocked modulation per se but phasing and working together. And it would also need to work as an oscillator, not necessarily track 1v/oct but that is a plus. It was actually some audio demo that got me interested in Just Friends, and I think it would sound fantastic through my newly acquired R*S resonant EQ. XAOC Batumi is one module I’ve been eyeing, but I believe it doesn’t go very high into audio range? I’m getting an uo_c too, and it seems like it could take a lot of the interconnected modulation madness role too. So, not necessarily asking for direct replacement for Just Friends, but interesting ideas and options of how to fill aformentioned duties in the rack with something else.

Tides V2, Spherical Wavetable Navigator both have a lot of overlap.

1 Like

Tides V2 is great, but I like it so much as an oscillator I basically never use it for modulation. It’s my primary source for bass lines.

2 Likes

Please say more about Batumi pairing with Cold Mac… I have both and would be grateful for any tips!!!

i wanna hear all this too!

1 Like

okay why not make a new thread pls

2 Likes

As @nutritionalzero mentioned, Batumi only goes up to 500Hz, but it can do some very nice things as an oscillator within that range. Using it in divide mode essentially gives you an oscillator with 3 voltage controllable sub-harmonic generators which is a lot of fun, and I really love pairing it with Happy Nerding’s FM Aid.

i have 2 so im on my way, group buy or lend me the other 11 to fasttrack the process i will record an album. it is my bday today if thats any encouragement :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Happy birthday!

Makes me wonder how many other Virgos are here…

1 Like

i swear a new virgo or violinist pops up every time i log on :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes