Eurorack: discussion, advice, learning, questions

You could do that or perhaps have a high-passed version of the ribbon out control the crossfade (the more motion there is, the more likely it is to be inaccurate).

I tend to lean on the side of just trying to learn it though. Free pitch instruments seem unapproachable but you don’t have to deal with a lot of the things a string player has to deal with, such as the spacing between notes being narrower across the neck, having to also learn using the bow, etc.
If I feel like I really need to nail something and I’m not confident, I’ll just look at a tuner as I’m playing it.

1 Like

Something I’ve been wondering about for a while now is the “outs-to-outs” architecture of the Studio Electronics Tonestar voices. What exactly is going on in that scenario? And how can you tell if it’s safe to try patching outs to outs on other modules? I know it will damage some, but many seem to be protected against it. Will other modules change their behavior with various signals patched to their outputs, or do they have to be designed with that behavior in mind?

1 Like

I’ve taken a quick look at their documentation: I think in their case these behaviours are quirks of their circuit designs rather than intentional. Otherwise, most modern modules are protected against this, but would not try it unless the manufacturer specifically states you can.

2 Likes

As I know there is only FM index on DPO and external input and index for Mod bus.
How can I feed external signal into FM bus to control modulation amount with FM index? What am I missing?

Good question! I could be misremembering, it’s been a while since I’ve patched that up. I will have to look.

I’m building up my system to ensure I’ve got all my foundations covered (and then I’ll grow it organically from there based on need). At the moment, I’ve got a Teletype, Just Friends, 2 x Mangroves, a Cold Mac, Maths, uO_c and an ALM HPO.

I feel like I’m definitely missing attenuversion, maybe VCAs and LFOs (I know Maths can cover most of these but I’d ultimately like to be able to use it for Maths-y things).

What I’m looking at are:
Stages or Batumi for LFO duties
Tangle Quartet for VCA duties
Triplatt or O/A/x2 for attenuversion

Any advice on order of acquisition to plug capability gaps in the most efficient way, advice on modules if there’s something that would work better, or even “You’re way off base, think about X instead!” - everything is welcome!

1 Like

How might I connect an EG to Cold Mac? Let’s say I just want to control the envelope of a sine wave.

I’m a bit surprised you’ve got Just Friends, Maths and uO_c which can all do envelopes/LFOs/modulation… I think I would certainly be looking for more VCA/mixing/attenuversion in that system, perhaps a matrix mixer? That can really make CV go farther and can pull at your brain in good, productive ways. The Doepfer one can give you offsets and attenuversion, the NLC one gives you CV control and mutes, the AI synthesis one is very compact — there’s quite a few good options out there depending on your needs :slight_smile: That being said, I would want a filter, wavefolder or effects of some sort in this case — I think soundshaping could be something to consider going forward, but of course if it’s working for you in that regard then please ignore!

@tyleretters If I understand your question correctly: you would send the envelope into “Survey”, the audio into any of the inputs on the left, and monitor “Mac”. If you want to modulate the amplitude of an LFO sine wave you can do it by using “Left”, dummy cable in “Right”, envelope in “Fade”, monitor at “Right” output. This can be done with audio or CV, whereas the “Mac” will only pass audio. Does that answer your question? (detailed images, technical explanations, etc in the technical map)

3 Likes

YES! That answer’s my question. Thank you so much. And thank you for this link, I haven’t seen this yet. I read and re-read the user manual several times and was left scratching my head.

1 Like

I would also highly suggest @mdoudoroff’s excellent document/videos. Obviously a lot of overlap with the technical map but IMO easier to start with and absorb.

5 Likes

This document is an attempt to understand the Cold Mac utility…

I’m screaming. Thank you so much.

3 Likes

Not 100% sure this is the right thread, but I didn’t see one that looked like it was more applicable

Have any of you ordered internationally (to the US, specifically) from Schneidersladen (or dealt with international orders overall)? I just placed an order with them to the US. Anything to worry about regarding customs or extreme wait times or anything?

1 Like

I’ve had a few things shipped internationally, and have bought gear from both Schneidersladen and Thomann. Sometimes things sit in customs for up to a couple of weeks, but more often they just pass right through.

The FM Aid I bought from Schneidersladen would have arrived in only 2 days, except UPS required a signature (despite a request not to) and they managed to bounce it around locally for 4 days until I finally paid to pick it up at a UPS Store.

With COVID-19 I’d expect shipping overall to be a bit slow, and customs too.

1 Like

I recently build my first modular synth. The only module I don’t have yet is Crow, because of stock. My plan is to play polyphonic MIDI on a Push 2, or polyphonic sequence it with various generative M4L sequencers, and dedicate Crow to be the module that receives MIDI info and sends out the CV. The Odessa oscillator has 5 pitch inputs, and can do 1, 3, or 5 voices. Crow seems to be the only way I’d be able to dedicate individual notes to individual outputs while only using 1 MIDI channel, using a M4L patch. I was thinking about removing the 2hp tune and using that space for a second Crow so I can do more custom M4L stuff, too, or at least be able to utilize all 5 of Odessa’s voices while still having a few CV outs for other stuff like gate, velocity, aftertouch, etc…

Basically I’m just posting this to make sure my plan will work the way I’m thinking it should before I invest in 2 Crow modules.

2 Likes

Just be aware of the noise issue that some users have had with Milky Way - MW Link. I’ve got a Squawk Dirty and can see/hear this issue with my unit and setup. It is not a problem for 99% of the stuff I do, but I personally would think twice if planning to compose quiet music where spaces or silence between notes was a ket thing.

I’m not meaning to put you off, but do have a listen to the examples around.

I actually bought it on eBay and the seller included this in the description, which I think is accurate of the situation, though my power supply is different - Tiptop studio bus and it has not made a difference:

Full disclosure: I’m selling because I found the module a little noisy in my Eurorack system (an Arturia Rackbrute 6U case) - a low level digital noise and occasional ‘chatter’ associated with some modes. Endorphines have issued ‘noise fixes’ in firmware for this and the Milky Way multi-fx module (see my other listing…) and acknowledge a potential issue. However, it seems to vary from user to user - some have no noise at all - so it’s perhaps associated with the quality of the power supply or grounding in different Euro cases. It’s also probably not an issue at all if you use this followed by a VCA, as in a normal synth design - or indeed, if you make banging techno where silky transitions to and from absolutely silence aren’t a big feature of the music… :wink: In my case I corresponded with the company and sent audio files - they said it was within normal design parameters.

1 Like

The only point I’d want to observe here is that Odessa, while technically poly, only offers you a spreadable set of outputs, but not individual outs. This will have some serious repercusions on what you can expect oddess to do. You cannot envelope each voice, versus say a Just Friends or Chord, in order to create any kind of “true” poly so much as provide chordal options. So in practice you’ll need to experiment with how exactly you expect Push and Odessa to relate. I also have an Odessa, and it’s great, but it’s an odd bird when it comes to Hel in use. It may not be the oscillator you’re looking for.

1 Like

Does Odessa’s own CV input still pitch continuously while using Hel? Like can you slide a chord around? I’ve tried reading the manual but it’s pretty vague on this point.

That is a good question, and I don’t have it racked this moment or I’d test for you! :sweat_smile: Maybe @Therm0ptic can confirm? If not, I could test for you this weekend.

1 Like

I’m not in the phase of buying new sound sources at the moment so it’s no rush at all but it is a make or break question for whether I would consider it or not.

Ok good to know! Mine wasn’t over 800, so I guess I only have to worry about timing. Good to hear! Thanks!