"Everybody In The Place - an Incomplete History of Britain 1984-1992"

An hour long film/lecture by Jeremy Deller. Originally screened at Frieze last year, it was on BBC Four this week. If you’re in the UK, or can VPN, you can see it at the above link. If not… there’s definitely a version floating around Youtube at the moment, but who knows how long that will last. I imagine it won’t be too hard to track down.

It’s a continued, condensed take on Deller’s perspectives on Britain in that period of time - see A History of the World passim. I really like how he’s totally open about it being incomplete, and how he presents it as a story he tells, to a class of 17-18 year olds.

I really enjoyed it, because I like stories and lectures; also, I’m sympathetic to his take on the world, and especially his way of presenting it. It’s not shown as gospel; just one way of seeing the world.

Recommended here - and given a thread for discussion - because of the topics it covers and joins that Lines members may enjoy: the connections between house, techno, rave culture, the collapse of industry and what that did for society, workers’ rights, left-wing protest in the 80s and 90s, sound systems, music-as-culture. Great stuff.

15 Likes

I actually worked pretty extensively on this film, so I’m obviously extremely biased, but it is also really good and you should all watch it.

24 Likes

Really enjoyed the ‘kids of today’ angle that the film is built around. Felt like a really unique device to drive home some truths and contrast to where we are today.

I enjoyed watching this a lot, partly as I was at a quite a few of them but more so seeing how the next generation views it all. These parties also completely switched me onto music at a young age and I never really looked back.

It’s hard (but not impossible I guess) to imagine cultural phenomenons like this happening again.

thanks for posting this! the intersection with the miners’ strike was very informative.

police blockading the road to stonehenge was deeply infuriating.

3 Likes

this is a recurring theme in Deller’s work. Notably, as well as The History of the World mentioned above, the obvious points of reference are Acid Brass, in which he commissioned a leading northern brass band to play covers of acid house (Pacific 202 has the most lovely mournful cornet line; Acid Brass is easily found on Spotify and Youtube), and The Battle of Orgreave, which was a re-enactment of the clash at Orgreave between strikers and police. Deller used a lot of traditional historical re-enactors (more familiar with things like the English Civil War) to do this, and also with a bunch of former miners who had been there in 1984 (some of the re-enactors playing police had been on the other side of picket lines the first time around). Mike Figgis made a documentary film about it; it can be found on Youtube.

6 Likes

ah so that’s how it came to be - i have Voodoo Ray on a comp CD and always loved this version! (also have Acid Brass cover of What Time is Love but never connected the 2)

I wish it had been a series, rather than a one off - I felt there were so many things that it touched on and could have been explored more deeply.

Still, I really enjoyed it, so no complaints from me!

A little more context in this Guardian interview with Jeremy Deller

2 Likes

So it is actually one of a series of four films produced by Frieze, each directed by a different artist - the others are about NYC house, Italo disco and Detroit techno, and are all up on YouTube at the moment.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ll definitely check those out - thanks for the info!

I watched this the other night and also really enjoyed it. As someone who grew up through all of that found it interesting. When I started going to clubs in Newcastle in the late 80s it was all Stock, Aitken & Waterman hits, suits, alcohol and fighting. Few short years later it was house, love and E. It changed the fabric of the country.

Was interesting to see the reaction of the kids today as well as the comments on some of the YouTube videos - “it’s not like that now” and “wow, no phones”. Seems the technology that was meant to connect us and the enable diversity does the opposite.

Thanks for making the film!

Wow - thankyou. This sounds GREAT! I also love this kind of thing. Can’t wait to check it out.