EXI[S]T – a 1U adaption of RIP

EXI[S]T is an adaption of Mannequins’ RIP. The name is a tribute to Meng Qi’s module “Please Exist”.

With the exception of an added attenuator, the circuitry is almost identical. The idea behind this adaption is that it can be integrated with cases with rear mounted jacks (e.g. Intellijel cases) and can be configured in several ways.

A detailed description, Eagle files and BOM are on GitHub: https://github.com/sonoCircuits/EXIST-RIP

However, here is a quick overview:

• Input either via 1U module (Intellijel and Pulplogic format) or Intellijel Mixup module.

• Output either via cables and TRS jacks soldered to the transformer board, an Intellijel Audio Jack rev2 board or an Intellijel Stereo Line Out Jacks module via 6 pin ribbon cable.

(I haven’t had the chance to test the IJ Audio Jack board as I do not have one, but the pinout should be correct according to a schematic I found on the Intelljel forum. However, it would be great if someone could double check this.)

I still have a few PCB sets available. There will be a thread under Trades soon.

Trade thread is online: https://llllllll.co/t/fs-eu-ww-exi-s-t-nearness-offworld-swich-trade-thread/29196

A big thanks to @Galapagoose for making RIP open source.

44 Likes

I would be happy to purchase a couple pcbs and test on the v1 intellijel board (I have the cables from 2 pedal I/Os should work I think)

I got a couple of kits but haven’t soldered them yet. I was bummed because I don’t have space and was gonna have to sell them after I finished, but I can make it work in 1u.

That’s good because to transformers aren’t too easy to get hold of (if your not in the US).

You’d have to splice a 10pin ribbon cable and rewire the pins correctly for it to work with a rev1 board.
The rev2 board has beside the standard 10pin connector, two 6pin connectors, which are wired to a TRS jack pair and two molex connectors.

I’d like to redirect all trade discussions to the trade category (as per forum rules). The thread should be up by tomorrow.

1 Like

No problem on migrating purchase discussion to trade!

I do have this thing (which makes the 5-pin adapter into 2 of the 3-pin ones)

I do note in your more detailed readme that the 3-pin is considered “input” and the other connectors are considered output, so I’m not sure I could just plug both Of this into each EXI[S]T’s 3-pin…one of them might be reversing the transformer in the path?

EDIT: sorry being dense! I get it now, the inputs connect to your 1u tile (or mixup) the outputs are meant to connect to 1/4” so that won’t work.

The RIP is a passive circuit, right? So, conceivably, one could build this into a small box, right? The more I look at it, the more it seems like a euro version of a DI box. Or is there something more to it?

No worries, my documentation could be clearer. You could connect the tips of the left and right outputs (and ground) to the right 3pin molex of your adapter. However, you would have unbalanced outputs.

If you want to use the rev1 board you’d have to make a custom cable… let me look up the pinout and get back to you.

No not really. It’s a great sounding DI box though and by mixing a DC offset to the input it saturates nicely.

You could use the transformer board and wire up your own little euro DI box with you own layout.

1 Like

This looks super cool! Question: I wonder if it would be too much work to add an amplifier to the circuit? So it could sort of function like a flexible combo of the the intellijel output/input/pedal interface? Apologies if exi[s]t will already handle this, but my impression is that RIP needs outboard gain staging, is this correct?

Here is the pinout from the Intellijel forum:

I am assuming that the 10pin header (JP1) has the same pinout as the rev1 board for backward compatibility. Connect like this:

• Left TRS output: tip, pin6 / ring, pin5 / sleeve, gnd (either pin9 or pin10)
  • Right TRS output: tip, pin8 / ring, pin7 / sleeve, gnd (either pin9 or pin10)

This should work, but it would be great if someone (maybe from Intellijel) could confirm this.

2 Likes

Any idea on whether this would play nicely with a Pulplogic Outputs module? It seems to work with a trio of wires, rather than six, but I don’t know enough to know if that’s a dealbreaker or not.

I don’t have a schematic, but there’s a photo here with some of the guts visible.

1 Like

Thanks!

To be honest I never tried to use RIP (in my case EXI[S]T) to step up line signals to modular level. Guess there are plenty of members who could chime in here.

RIP and EXI[S]T are passive modules by design and this allows them to be bidirectional. AFAIK adding an amplifier to the circuits would make this impossible unless some switching circuitry is included.

Aha, it hadn’t occurred to me that the passivity (funny turn of phrase) of the module might be related to the bidirectionality.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure what you mean with this…

The small tile with cable “output” is almost the same as the exi[s]t tile. The three wires you see carry the left and right modular signal (and one is the ground reference) to the larger module with the active circuitry.

Are the six wires you are referring to the left and right TRS pads / six pin header?

Oh yeah, that’s unclear on my part. I’m thinking about whether I could snip off the small-paneled piece and connect the EXI[S]T to the larger one with the jacks. Sort of like using that larger piece as the Pulplogic version of the Intellijel Audio Jacks. But I’m not sure how the connection would work between EXI[S]T and that larger module.

Can someone with a RIP or diy RIP show some sound examples of how this module ends up working?

1 Like

It’ll be somewhat transparent unless you’re putting an offset into it, but here’s an example of that from @ng_ :

1 Like

OkY, so, now I’m going to ask a very noob question; in this context, what exactly would be an example of an offset of your source going in to the RIP?

You just mix the offset in with your audio to get the saturation effect.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I appreciate the sound demo!

Wish I came across this before I butchered my Please Exist 2 and drilled holes in my case last week :joy:

Would be really interested in an input version with preamps to go with the other half of the Intellijel board, or one that combines both to replace my Intellijel Audio I/O.

5 Likes