Exoplanetary Interv (Disquiet Junto Project 0272)

I kept mine simple - made 2 tape loops with a track for each relative frequency starting on a root of C. Then I rode the 6 track faders and panned the sounds around a bit - It’s the first time I’ve done a track in stereo. Put everything through copious amounts of delay and reverb.

Using the harmonic orbital ratios from the Project Brief, I created a sequence following those notes, dropping the octave of the faster planets for musical sense. I also created a progression that transposed the sequence, by those same musical notes. Finally, I layered some drums, playing those same orbital ratios as a polyrhythmic drum parts for a six-piece drum kit.

As with all my Juntos so far, I am sure it would be possible to improve on this, sonically, given a bit more time. But time constraints are what gets me to a finished track in the first place, so as ever I am thankful to have that discipline enforced on me. Also, I found some great use of many of the (powerful) core Ableton midi devices (for randomisation mostly), and with three MaxForLive devices - Ultimate Step Seq for sequencing the notes, Robert Henke’s Note Modulator for transposition of the sequence (which I had to edit in Max to enable 64 step divisions), and RPE by Hyakken for the polyrhythmic drum part. The result was a Project that played itself! No midi clips necessary - start t he note sequencer, transposition sequencer, and drum sequencer, and let them do their thing. As a result, there is no automation here - I simply disengaged the Track Mute buttons to introduce each part. While I could have used more free-running LFOs (in either the synths, or in maxforlive) to add further movement, or indeed automated synth parameters, I think it sounds fine, and kinda retro, clean and as-is.

Synths used: TAL BassLine 101, 2x TAL Uno LX, Synthmaster, Strobe, Vacuum Pro. Drums from Ableton Live drum racks by Goldbaby.

Hope you enjoy.

I took the intervals from these 7 planets that were discovered the other day, and used them both as tonal intervals (-> “1x, 4/3x 2x, 3x, 5x, 8x. The slowest planet is the root, then fourth, octave, octave and fifth, two octaves and major third, three octaves.”) but as well as distance in time (first note repeats every bar, second note every 4/3 bar, next one every two bars etc.) and build this vibraphone pattern with it. The rest is arrangement and some acoustic guitar picking on a saturday morning after breakfast while the kids are playing.

my wife says that it was better last night when it was free form improvising. now it´s stuck in the pattern, unnerving valse. she is a tough critic.

If I’m correct, the planets were discovered by a Belgian(that’s why the Trappist name)…
I started with getting a midi-file from P22(text to music) from every Belgian Trappist. I’m not gonna name them all, but I can tell you there all excellent beers!
I put different guitar sounds on all 6 of them and then followed the orbits(24, 15, 9, 6, 4, 3) from Mzero’s webpage.
When I finished the song, I realized that… I am never gonna work for NASA!

logarytmics track pure data

Suss Müsik is fascinated whenever a new planetary system is discovered. We imagine the excitement must be similar to a child finding loose change while building sand castles, albeit at a much grander cosmic scale. It’s evidence that life could have existed before we entered the scene, giving resonance to our actions.

According to an article on Gizmodo, a new Harvard University study raises the compelling evidence that the TRAPPIST-1 planets are close enough to each other that microbes could hop from one planet to another, skipping over rocks suspended in space between forms. Some scientists even suggest that life on Earth could have started this way, but don’t tell your Sunday School teacher that.

For this short piece, Suss Müsik created a series of simple polyrhythms on piano: 3:2, 4:3, 5:3 and what we think is sort of close to 8:5 (we lost count). These phrases were cycled “in orbit,” giving the effect of emerging and receding into listening distance. Individual notes were then allowed to “travel” from one phrase to another within a four-octave range.

The piece is titled Panspermia, named after the theory that life on our planet originated from chemical microorganisms who traveled through outer space searching for an environment suitable for habitat. The image is a chunk of marble pilfered from the cliffs of Carrara, Italy.

We considered this idea as well. Yours is much, much better than ours would have turned out.

Nicely done. This week’s theme almost needs two weeks to execute an idea properly. Yours sounds very resolved.

Your contributions are always amazing.

As mentioned in my comment: your piano phases are much more musical. You didn’t need to bury the poly-rhythms in space-sounds, filters and ambient synths. Mine were really too crazy. :wink:
I did the maths right but your piece shines musically. Bravo.

This isn’t exactly the “assignment” but it has to do with the intervallic relationships of the planets. A few months back I built a sonic orrery with the JavaScript web audio api to express Thomas Kepler’s Harmonices Mundi or Music of the Spheres. It is build upon historical calculations and his understand of orbital velocity. You can listen to it here: https://jeffreypierce.net/kepler/ (it works best in Chrome)

You are most kind. Thank you!

Just listened to all the submissions so far. Wow, you people really hit it out of the park! I was mildly worried while developing this, that the implied tonality, being not all that exoitc, would result in an underlying uniformity to the pieces. HA! No need to have worried there, so many ways to express one set of planets!

@fjna - I’m going to sit this one out! Even though it is so up my alley, I’m a little too close to it after all the work on developing it.

Thanks! I didn’t have much time to work on it because of other commitments, so I had to resolve it quickly!

As well at the really cool phasing, I love the use of dynamics in the piece. Excellent!

Cheers Juntonians,
This weeks music and video! This was fun :smiley:https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/sisters-of-trappistdisquiet0272
Music-There is always something about space discovery and exploration that gives me a sense of hope and promise. And honestly, after last week, I needed a more uplifting prompt. I wasn’t sure where to start so I began building a rhythm with suitably space like elements. I built a kit in Patterning and set it to a lively 120 bpm. I was able to get a nice polyrhythm using the orbiting ratios and then went in search of patches. Originally thought EDM style but settled on a less frantic sound that seemed promising with nice movement. The synths used were Sunrizer and Waldorf, while the piano and all mixing are in Cubasis with some eq, panning and Zero Reverb for the piano.

Video - Everything you see in this video I created in Photoshop and imported to iMovie for final editing and render.

i think i drifted off target on this one a bit… but it was fun!

Polyrhythmic exojam! I wrote this very simple tidal program, picked some samples, fade in the different ‘planets’ one by one, then jam/riff around by ear with a pattern inside the square brackets for each planet, build up a little jam then fade out. Teensiest bit of reverb added to the recording before uploading to soundcloud.

cps 0.2

t1 xfade $ sound “[invaders]*1” # gain “0.65”
– t1 xfade silence
t2 xfade $ sound “[dr55:2]*4/3” # gain “0.8”
– t2 xfade silence
t3 xfade $ sound “[bleep:6]*2” # gain “0.5”
– t3 xfade silence
t4 xfade $ sound “[invaders:7]*3” # gain “0.85”
– t4 xfade silence
t5 xfade $ sound “[casio:4]*5” # gain “0.55”
– t5 xfade silence
t6 xfade $ sound “[casio]*8” # gain “0.55”