Experimental music notation resources

llllllll

Holy shit that’s crazy!

Yeah I own the book. Bought it (in the UK) a few years ago.

Lucky you @Rodrigo !
So, obviously, you must think it’s worth the price?
I would LOVE to have this in my library!..

DEFINITELY not worth that price, lol.

I don’t remember how much it was, but it was when I got it but it was no more than like £40-50 or so. I’ve got the hardcover version too. Weird…

this thread is simply amazing! i wish it was around a couple of years ago… i was working on a project and looked into experimental notation for a commission i was doing. its a pretty tenuous connection, but i wrote a little article about the piece here:

Hi @instantjuggler , thank you for the link! It was very interesting to read such a detailed insight into the process of putting together a large scale juggling performance. It made me think of your collaboration with Pekka as well (thinking about themusic and juggling relationships, but also the ability to effortlessly move between scored events and improvisation).
I also love how you refer to the idea of constructing choreographed images on stage. I always think of performance in terms of images as well, regardless of if I am working with dancers or volunteer workers, or by myself.

Here are a few from John Cage:

Woah that last one is crazy…Most of the ones posted so far are interesting if not still stuck in a linear left to right structure. How are you supposed to interpret what looks like molecules and an unfinished pentagram?

Cool stuff!

The instructions from that Cage piece is fucking mad too. The notation is weird, but each one of those little diagrams(/pieces) has equally crazy instructions.

this weekend experienced a performance of a few of aaron bielish’s eyemusic scores.

ooooh, lovely!
was it a solo, or ensemble performance? @tehn

That’s the thing. I feel you’re only showing half the notation if your aren’t including the instructions.
For improv music there’s no notation just instructions like. Zorn’s Cobra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_(Zorn)
I guess improv games that should be a separate thread.

I’d love to see some of these ran through Daphne Oram’s Oramics machine, I beat it would be a hoot.

True, that instructions are important (sometimes)… Would love to see some interesting instruction based scores shared here as well!
But I personally am really interested in the sound/image/language relationship as it relates to the musical notation.
In any case, here is the Cobra instructions:

Cool. Cobra is a lot different than I imagined. Thanks for posting one.

John Stump:

haha very good ! thank you so much
’recoat all the pinatas with marmelade until most of the ox drivers have discovered the tube of anti-matter won’t fit into some Barbie dolls’ it’s surrealism ! exquisite corpse imo
and ‘real big notes do not exist’ (i hear the x-files soundtrack right now)
btw : who was (is ?) John Stump ?

Here is a little background information on John Stump:

After a YouTube search for john stump I found this

On the ‘black midi’ front there’s this by Hans Tammen:
http://tammen.org/the-choking-disklavier/

it sounds particularly good in the recording as you get a lot of mechanical noise from the player piano.

Although to be fair, it’s not so much a notational piece/concept as the project was done in Ableton. That’s just a sibelius ‘view’ of it.

I love that Hans Tammen sheet! @Rodrigo