Experimental music notation resources

looks a lot like harmonograph output… or drawing rather… ( labor camp’s post re: Roman Verostko that is ) I’m in the midst of making one that also reacts to music / sound… wonderful, informative thread this. wish I could post images…

I’ve always been interested in the idea of extracting music from images / drawings… process’ not intended to be musical, I know thats a whole field ( thread ) to itself… chaos, emergent complexity. babbling brooks. …

I just wanted to add in some drawings by Mark Lombardi… as they seem to belong here… and could possibly be used musically or as fodder for thoughtful patching…

1 Like

Yes, Mark Lombardi’s work is amazing! I think he was an amazing artist, and I show his work to my students often. I especially love telling the story of how FBI agents showed up after September 11 attacks, at the museum, to study one of Lombardi’s drawings, looking for clues in understanding networks related to (then) little known Osama Bin Laden.
I can see how his work somehow relates to the subject of this thread, as it was essentially a kind of complex notation system. Not musical notation, but definitely a visual representation of invisible structures…

1 Like

Lachenmann :

1 Like

So good! @ithkaa
Love both: the score AND the sounds!

1 Like

Stephanie Chang Smith

She’s also performing with her electronic gear tonight in LA on a live web streamcast at: http://www.laartstream.com/

3 Likes

Nice one @c1t1zen !
Good way to be introduced to her work.

Will Redman

4 Likes

More of Leon Schidlowsky:

3 Likes

Earle Brown:

4 Likes

I :heart: this thread

1 Like

Sylvano Bussotti:

4 Likes

And another beautiful Xenakis:

6 Likes

Тоru Takemitsu:

3 Likes

Murray Schäfer:

2 Likes

Brian Eno:

8 Likes

@laborcamp: just wanted to thank you for posting all these beautiful scores! would love to learn where you find these.

3 Likes

@myecholalia all of these have been found somewhere out on the internet. I have collected these over the years, as I like to use them in classes.
(Even though I teach in a predominantly visual art school, my own interests lie in hybrid and mixed media areas. So I emphasize structure, systems and organizational thinking, where these scores come handy as examples of unorthodox approaches to these ideas.)

5 Likes

+1

I had the pleasure of being completely surprised by her work at the Made in LA exhibit in 2012. I had never heard of her before that, and her works easily became my favorites of the exhibition.

This one is mind-bogglingly amazing:

3 Likes

Alfred Schnittke:

5 Likes

Another John Cage score:

4 Likes