Experimental music notation resources

llllllll

Dick Higgins:

Anestis Logothetis:

is anyone familiar with any video scores?

improvising along with film is a somewhat common practice but i’m talking about through composed

i made one somewhat recently but the performance was kind of a disaster as my computer died about 30 seconds in…

@tehn posted this link (earlier in this thread) on animated scores:

http://www.animatednotation.com

would be really cool to see a piece of hers woven with a loom!

Carlos Cruz De Castro (altered by Marco Fusinato):

Roman Haubenstock-Ramati:

and his famous “Alone”:

Morton Feldman:

The very first image in this thread was from Cornelius Cardew’s epic “Treatise”: a score consisting of 193 pages of beautiful compositions. The one at the top of the thread is from page 183. Later I also posted pages 29, 134 and two other images, which I am not certain of page numbers. I only have 25 images from the set, and continue searching for more. I would love to have a book with the whole score, but have never found one (if you have recommendation for a book that has the complete set in it, please let me know).

I think “Treatise” score is really among the most amazing examples of experimental music notation, and even though (or maybe even because) Cardew eventually “disowned” it, I find it inspiring and historically important.

So, I will continue adding pages from “Treatise” here, as we continue expanding the collection. Here are a few more. Pages 131, 133, and 137:

Two song scores by John Cage:

Few more scores from Toshi Ichiyanagi, including some written instructions for interpretation:

Another Arvo Pärt:

Daria Semegen:

William Engelen:

Another Włodzimierz Kotoński:
“Etude for a single cymbal strike”

More of Krzysztof Penderecki:

• a recording of the “Threnody” (first page of the score above) where you can follow the visual score and hear the performance:

The Score of Poéme Électronique (1958)

…I decided to call my music “organized sound” and myself, not a musician, but a “worker in rhythms, frequencies and intensities.” Indeed, to stubbornly conditioned ears, anything new in music has always been called noise. But after all what is music but organized noises? And a composer, like all artists, is an organizer of disparate elements. Subjectively, noise is any sound one doesn’t like. - Edgard Varèse

This was presented at the World’s Fair in 1958.

Conlon Nancarrow’s hand-punched player piano rolls are direct instructions for performance (as direct as there can be), but are beautiful artifacts in their own right.

I wish I could post an image, but apparently a new user can’t.

You are absolutely right @pgchamberlin !
Thank you for the suggestion! Here are a few of Conlon Nancarrow’s rolls (hopefully you can add to this when you can post images!):