Experimental music notation resources

Kind of an interesting idea:

The audio seems to be just a Mogees type thing (or something quite similar), and in that sense it comes across more like an ‘artful interface’ rather than a ‘composition’ in the sense that I don’t really get a sense of form/time/change (other than exploratory playfulness).

BUT the idea is cool and an interesting take on the spirit of this thread.

Oh, just discovered this topic! These links might be interesting:

Christopher williams - bass player and composer think he’s doing his PhD about
graphic scores.

and Justin Bennett’s Blueprint project…

x gus

Maybe even more related, as it combines graphic approach to scoring
with (photoelectric!) synthesis: the ANS synthesiser

and Virtual ANS software:

x gus

What a wonderful resource. Not sure if these are already included, but here goes anyway:

notations! i was lucky enough to buy a copy in a used bookstore…mmmm…nearly 30 years ago! fuck i’m old.

Yes… I scanned those as examples from an original copy. Such a beautiful book.

Here is another early score: Luigi Russolo’s Awakening of a City. Now it looks like automation on manuscript paper…

Not sure which book it’s from though. Maybe the Nyman Experimental Music book?

I just found a nice film on intonomouri and Russolo’s music if you’ve not heard these instruments:

Wonderful additions! Thank you.
I do not think I had any of these here.
Rzewski! So cool!
All great.

Posts here remind me of the AlgoScore open source software, written by Jonathan Liljedahl / Kymatica:

Never tried it. I believe it’s Linux only. It looks great.

In the Flame of the Dream, for cello solo, graphic score. A graphic score by Russian composer Vadim Karassikov (b.1972).

Excerpt from the score for Galaxis (1962) from Roland Kayn

AlgoScore is for mac OS as well (you know, the one made by those tax evaders) as well. It can output csound, midi (via Jack) or OSC so you could theoreticallly use it as an interface for controlling just about anything. In my (little) experience of these sorts of things though, you have to REALLY know that you want to use them otherwise it might involve so much tweaking and experiment that you might as well just learn to programme one yourself. Here’s another one, though maybe it’s been mentioned before:

x gus

Not sure if this is quite what you were after, but in terms of the confluence of language (words), visual art (colour) and music (notes), my recent work, Conflux, is exactly that:

It’s about to appear at Concordia festival in Enschede, Netherlands and in Rethink Digital Art festival in Crete.

Hope you like it.

few might be interested in the notation system I developed, concept is derived from improvisational experimentation and research in sonic performances of an instrument… implemented through graphical symbols further developed in graph. scores /// http://violinrevealed.blogspot.hr/

I cruised through this while I was at work, so I’m sure I missed a lot of it, but off this first glance i want to say, your illustrations are awesome!

this one is called Transgression of the Souls [[[ 333 ]]], Book II