Experimental music notation resources

llllllll

Yes! ALL the Tufte books are amazing: beautiful objects, packed with smart ideas!

Kind of like monome :smile:

0 Likes

thought i’d share the work of Channa Horwitz. she was a painter who had a system of notation based on the numbers 1-8 and a selection colors marked on a grid. Sonakinatographya is what she called it, her way weaving space, time, motion and sound for interpretive performance. they are spirited and painstakingly beautiful up close.

10 Likes

Oh! love this stuff! I’ve graphed out compositions a few times and it’s always helpful :slight_smile:

Allen Forte is always a good read.

Also, Ligeti.

4 Likes

the school where i’m doing my phd is big on scrolling graphic scores. they put out an ipad app where you can load your .png graphic scores and and they automatically coordinate with other ipads on the same wifi network, making chamber ensemble graphic scoring pretty neat and easy without needing a conductor. cat hope and lindsay vickery are the people behind it and they make beautiful scores (google them), and are always putting out research on graphic notation (lindsay just got published in organised sound talking about screen-based scores).

beyond that, there’s always http://www.graphicscores.com , i think it was put together by christina vantzou.

4 Likes

These are so cool! What an amazing artist!
I have heard of her through Roman Verostko, who, as he likes to call himself is one of the original algorists, like Channa.
Although he does not work with sound, Roman is an amazing artist as well. So ahead of times. Here is one of his algorithmic drawings:

5 Likes

And that Ligeti score/video is totally mesmerizing!

0 Likes

Baude Cordier:

0 Likes

Krzysztof Penderecki:

2 Likes

wow, do you know which penderecki score is that comes from? looks like a reference sketch/note pad from which the more final score is derived. super interesting.

2 Likes

I believe this is for “Polymorphia”.

“For this piece, Penderecki employed notation derived from electroencephalograms, some of them actually taken from patients listening to his “Threnody.” These neural oscillations relate to the cognitive mechanisms that trigger emotions in response to auditory stimuli, and Penderecki translates again this electrical activity into concrete sounds, displaying the brain as the ultimate filter.”

2 Likes

Włodzimierz Kotoński
(I remember when I was a kid in Poland we had one of his records at home. In retrospect, I know that listening to this music [and Penderecki, and Niemen] was one of my important formative experiences.)

6 Likes

Just finished a big blog post on something I’ve been working on for a while that’s somewhat related to this. It’s my approach to improv analysis, which produces some interesting charts/graphics/etc…

http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/2015/04/making-decisions-in-time/

3 Likes

Roland Kayn:

4 Likes

Andrzej Dobrowolski:

3 Likes

And another amazing Polish composer, Bogusław Schaeffer:

8 Likes

Can anyone help me identifying this great looking score?

0 Likes

Giovanni Longo. http://www.klangkunstpreis.de/ks_g_longo.php

2 Likes

Excellent! Thank you!

0 Likes

Arvo Pärt

4 Likes

looks a lot like harmonograph output… or drawing rather… ( labor camp’s post re: Roman Verostko that is ) I’m in the midst of making one that also reacts to music / sound… wonderful, informative thread this. wish I could post images…

I’ve always been interested in the idea of extracting music from images / drawings… process’ not intended to be musical, I know thats a whole field ( thread ) to itself… chaos, emergent complexity. babbling brooks. …

I just wanted to add in some drawings by Mark Lombardi… as they seem to belong here… and could possibly be used musically or as fodder for thoughtful patching…

1 Like