Expert Sleepers ES-8 + MAX

Nice, I have never used Discourse. I’m nowhere near as computer savvy as most people on here it seems.

Yeah, we’d be able to do everything we can do here, there (we’re using a Discourse forum right now!)

I’ll get started setting it up this evening.

It’ll need a name. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Placeholder name: Hybrid Music Systems (sounds like it should run on hydrogen or something?)

What about Hybrid Modular Systems?

Although if that limits things too much I think the “music” option is absolutely fine.

I also have a domain name: beepboop.fm that was going to be used for a blog or some such that hasn’t happened yet. So I’m thinking hybrid.beepboop.fm. Long name on the site can be “Hybrid Modular Study Group”

-Jason

Any of these sounds cool to me, excited to share ideas and knowledge.

C

I am down for this as well.

I’m also interested. I don’t actually have a ES module at this point, but as an old Max-head I’ve always been curious. Would love to learn more by reading all your conversations.

tldr, sorry! do we want a new category? title? do we anticipate enough threads?

We can do that. What do you think @sellanraa? Wanna keep the discussion here and avoid fragmenting it?

I think the category is “Study group”. Some existing threads that would fit there:

etc. but what I’d really like to see, that is a bit different from the teletype code exchange, is one thread per topic. So that you don’t end up scrolling wildly up and down in one massive thread to navigate between each patch idea being discussed. It’s a lot more threads and a lot more granularity. If that sounds good to you @tehn, I’d be in favor of keeping it here.

agreed, and it is done: http://llllllll.co/c/studies

Yay! One less thing on my todo list tonight, and one less line item on my DigitalOcean bill. Thanks @tehn.

Cool, I’ll post to a few forums to see if anyone else is interested in joining us here for this kind of discussion. Thanks Tehn!

Very interested in this. I’m a long time Max user, but am thinking about getting into modular. This idea of a combined system (thereby not giving up the Max stuff I love) is very appealing.

I’m thinking of a system where sound generation and final mix/effects are done in Max, but having an intermediary phase at the modular. I really like the idea of developing a system where inputs to, and outputs from the modular are always the same (eg always using 1-4 out for audio, always using 4-6 out for CV etc). So then you could have a bank of generator/mix combinations in Max, and if you patched the modular up in a new and interesting way, it would be possible to recall older Max patches and the ins/outs to still work a as expected.

Coming from the Max, side it would be good to get some opinions of modules for this from people here. I think I might have some useful Max stuff around to share too.

Mark, maybe you could start a new thread in the ‘studies’ category? I think the question of how to integrate the two sides of this is fascinating though. If you don’t break it off that’s fine, I’ll try to find some time to comment later today, but with the sub-forum/category thing, hopefully we can avoid long meandering discussion in one thread.

Anyway, it’s a super interesting topic!

Sure, that did actually cross my mind: Approach for combining Max + Modular

I run my es3 off the adat of my uln2. No need for aggregate device, works well. I’d rather have everything off non aggregate setup but it does work between some brands.

I’m in too, would be great to get my max <-> modular chops up to speed :slight_smile:

You’ll find the discussions here:
https://llllllll.co/c/studies

Hoping to get back to it in July if possible. Hard to keep my Max momentum, but I have some excuses lately at least :slight_smile:

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but I’m having a super frustrating problem with my ES8. I really love this thing and I do not want to live without it but it’s pretty much been busted in some way or another from the moment I got it. I sent it out to get fixed and because of customs issues I was without it for many weeks. This is my only sound card so you can imagine this was incredibly frustrating for me. After getting it back from repair I noticed new problems that only got worse and worse and now today it’s been rendered completely unusable. I’m in the middle of a bunch of projects right now and I really don’t want to go through the whole customs charade again but I guess I’ll have to.

Has anyone else had problems with theirs? Buzzing, crackling, drop outs, DAW not recognizing it, no audio going in or out at all, etc…?