Expert Sleepers ES-8 + MAX

That sounds flippant, but it’s a serious question, and probably the first pertinent thing that I’ve said in this thread.

If I develop a patch for other users, what is their expectation in terms of 1v per octave CV? And what is my response when they ask?

• If there’s a documentation link to forward them, I need that on hand.

• If it’s a standardized procedure, I should do that myself.

• If it’s me including a calibration routine in my own patch, is that something I should develop myself, or is there a commonly accepted bpatcher that I shouldn’t veer from?

This is worth knowing, and soon.

@ greaterthanzero

I would have a look at the muffwigglers forum :

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

I do believe there is also a max external for the ES3/ES4 AND ES5 (I don’t use an ES8 unfortunately I don;t have an ES 8) - See http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads.html

if you contact OS at the above forum he is super helpful and will answer your questions quicker than most manufacturers. He will sort it out i can assure you

m

I have very mixed feelings about that suggestion.

I mean, whether or not the externals work on ES-8, they’re not needed on ES-8, or expected, or recommended. The fact that Expert Sleepers has drawn no connection between those externals and the ES-8 tells me that most ES-8 users won’t go searching through Muffwiggler, much less contacting the developer to research this.

That’s not to say that I shouldn’t, though. I should find out what y’all are doing, and ensure that whatever I do to support everyone else doesn’t conflict with that.

But it won’t be to require these externals, or to direct users down that path. Because this solution isn’t official enough to have gotten a mention in the setup guide. Or in cycling74’s write-up. Or anywhere else that a person could reasonably be expected to look before they get started.

(and if I’m wrong, Expert Sleepers can bring me in line by simply updating their online documentation.)

Cool

I appreciate this g.

Os is an extremely helpful and clever developer and without approaching him and the forum my Es3/5/6/7/4CV/8Gt /8MD (x2) would be a mess of wires and i’d have even less hair hehe

I think I need to buy an ES8 :slight_smile:

m

I’m liking mine.

I lost out on an ES-3/ES-6 bundle on eBay last week, and am super bummed about it. That combination (running lightpipe in and out of the ES-8 for additional ports) would be insanely powerful.

it is proper nuts running cv back in to ableton and controlling the cv with lfo etc.

and I use the ES6 & ES7 as audio outs sometimes too

I am obsessed with the expert sleepers modules :slight_smile:

been using ES8/6/3 with Max for about a year now. totally love it.

has anyone ever made (or used or heard of) these? https://little-scale.blogspot.com/2017/11/usb-midi-to-eight-gates-and-sixteen-cv.html?m=1

it seems incredible, & since it’s MIDI you could have this + ES combos…?

this crowd might be interested in this ->

Thank you for sharing that. Stretta is great and I didn’t know he’d developed this but it looks fantastic.

Are there any functional differences between the ES-3 and ES-8 as far as receiving and transmitting CV?

I’m going to be using a KMix to send my individual channels and I’m an avid programmer so I’m thinking about incorporating my computer for CV tools that I build myself, so I’m asking this question since it seems like the ES-3 has the subset of functions that I’m looking for.

I’m part of a group buy with a bunch of strangers on Facebook, and will hopefully receive two PCBs… someday. (edit: I just checked in with them, got a tracking number. so, maybe next week?)

I figured I’ll probably hack the code to be more automation centric (focused on 14 bit pitch bend instead of 7 bit notes or CC).

But, yeah. Seems like what we really need is to revive this project.