Faderbank Run: See top post for status

Oh Yes me too
I’m not on facebook !..
Maybe it’s possible to hold one here ?

2 Likes

I’d be very interested in either a kit or a built unit if it had CV capabilities.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Sounds great and I am very much looking forward to build, use and simply look at one…

Never got further than OSH Park for PCB’s simply because DIY projects tend to be stored there, it seems to be dead simple to use and they have a good reputation. What are good alternatives then to save a bit spare money for christmas presents?

Also good luck for the move and all the hassles that do follow such an endeavour - I have gone through this in February and there are still things to do like hanging pictures and getting the new storing facilities in a nice and practical state. It’s been a year of constant rearranging the furniture now, but I am almost there now.

1 Like

I always use seeedstudio fusion pcb service. This size board is about $50 (for 5) + about 15$ shipped to uk, ordering 10 or more price gets closer to £6each

only downside is delivery time of 10days for the cheap postage option. OSHPark always seems very expensive to me

3 Likes

facebook group? Anyone have a link?

4 Likes

ahem: 16n is a bank of faders [release thread] [current version:1.32]

12 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1677419455833872/ This is the FB group. The owner also has a DIY pcb (mostly euro) webshop: https://pushermanproductions.com/
I don’t know if/when he will organize a group buy but there are around 50 people interested and in the thread he said that he would have spoken to the designers. Maybe the pcbs/panels will be on the website, if not I guess he’ll set up a group buy on FB.

1 Like

Mouser is out of stock for the faders, any other source that you guys know of? Cheers!

I ordered parts from Mouser last month for ten units, understanding the alps faders were backordered, and randomly got an email Tuesday that the faders were shipped, but their online qty still hasn’t been updated, received the faders last night, so I was pretty shocked!

3 Likes

So does anyone knows what modifications are necessary in the code to output pitchbend instead of midi cc?

what changes do you think might be necessary?

Typing on a phone right now, but the pieces of the puzzle are:

• usbMidi library has a method called , I believe, sendPitchBend. This is documented from the Teensy usbMIDI library, easily googled.
  • pitchbend messages have much higher resolution than CCs. So you’ll want to alter the code such that it doesn’t scale down the read range for the fader you’re moving; you’ll also probably want to offset the read such that the middle of the fader is 0, the max is 8192, and the min is -8192
  • this might involve treating one of the faders differently to the others. Maybe you skip reading fader 1 in the for loops?

If you’ve done any Arduino before, this is a reasonably straightforward modification and a nice way to get to know the 16n code. If I were to “know the changes necessary” in any more detail, I’d just end up having to write it all myself to find out.

Thx a lot, I’ll google that. Just started with Arduino so there are many parts of the code I don’t understand, but I’d like to learn so…

ah, ok. Apologies if it turns out hard - it’s probably not a beginner problem, but nothing in the faderbank is hugely complex, and the code is… somewhat commented?

I just never know what people’s level of experience is, and I’d rather encourage people to at least try things for themselves - at the least, it helps them frame further questions! It’s why I tend to break things down into “here are the places to look” rather than just working out the answer.

2 Likes

well, looking at the code now,
lets say, if in the config.h one of the CC is set to 128 then in the 16n_Faderbank_Firmware something like (in the midi write loop):

if ( usb_ccs[q] == 128 )
    {
      usbMIDI.sendPitchBend(shiftyTemp, usb_channels[q]);
    } 
    else
    {  
      usbMIDI.sendControlChange(usb_ccs[q], shiftyTemp, usb_channels[q]);
}

now I have to find where the resolution of the value is scaled and add a similar thing, so the offset and less scaling is done.

thanks a lot!!

Aha - so - by that point everything is scaled; the scaled values are used by Shifty. As you go back and alter things, you might find yourself in a knot of special case code, when handling a channel differently from the get go may work better.

But you’re totally on the right lines, and there might not be that much more to it! I might see if I can investigate more on my flight I’ll be on soon.

1 Like

I think I’ve find the part of the code for the offset, the thing is that the same value is used for both CCs (usb and trs outs) maybe creating a second variable is the way…or I’d be forced to use pitchbend in both usb and trs

if ( usb_ccs[i] == 128 ) 
   {
     temp = map(temp, MINFADER, MAXFADER, -8192, 8192 );
   }
   else
   {
     temp = map(temp, MINFADER, MAXFADER, 0, 16383); 
   }

I did it, and it works!
at the moment the thing is done so if you select 128 in usb cc it will give pitch bend in both usb and trs, will do in the future so it can be independent, for that need to create some variables (shiftyTemp2, notShiftyTemp2, temp2, currentValue2…)
Thx for pointing the steps to follow, learned a lot today!

2 Likes

Ace! So pleased you made progress.

1 Like

starting to do things in github, not sure how to proceed, should I make a different name for the firmware or what?
already uploaded here (is that the way to do things?):

the MidiNote mod is more useful with the CV ins I think, but the PitchBend is great…imo

this is the correct repository for my eurorack version:

3 Likes