Faderbank Run: See top post for status

Thanks, i thought this was the case. I am soon to press go on some Schaefer aluminium panels (Front panel designer) with embedded standoffs (6) so that the front panel only has slots visible. Not cheap but monome like in design and very reasonable given the quality- will obviously align this with the 1.25 artwork , and let people know about availability

Cheers

1.2 is absolutely not final, and I would not recommend making any.

1.26 is the final 1.2x branch - a finessed version of 1.2 with M2.5 holes and much better panel layout. It is not available publicly yet.

However, disclosure: I am working on 1.3 which uses a multiplexer to significantly reduce the number of pins required on a Teensy. It means we’ll just the outside two rows of pins, rather than the horrid SMD pads underneath the Teensy. One extra chip makes building the whole thing significantly easier and more reliable.

The reason there’s no release yet is that if it turns out 1.3 is a much better idea, it’d require firmware that differs in key ways to 1.26, and I don’t want to bifurcate the product: I’d rather people weren’t going “oh, which version should I use?”. I’d like everything to be backwards-compatible going out. So: let’s see if 1.3 is the line for final release. I should have 1.3 complete on my workbench this week.

I appreciate you would all like this yesterday. We apologise for the slight delay. We are only human.

fantastic! this was my most-despised part of the teensy builds.

late to the party to be helpful, but I found these the other week and bookmarked for later use:

multi-position pogo-pins:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/575-8172200830001101

What pin headers do you (or anyone :)) use for the SMD pads?

I’m looking to build a four-n and I’m having a hard time finding a combination of through-hole and SMD pin headers with matching heights.

The “pogo pins” I linked above are one solution.

They’re spring loaded pins to hit the smd contacts on the bottom of the teensy. The link I posted is the wrong dimension tho… here’s a 14 position SMD one or a 14 position thru-hole version

Right, that is pretty neat. Have you tried it? I’m wary of having to desolder the Teensy if any of the 14 tiny springs fail due to mechanical stress.

https://octopart.com/15-91-2140-molex-276805

or the equivalent TE part are what we use for the SMD pads.

A Teensy prepared for 1.26 looks like this:

I’d add that once you have the outer pins and the SMD pins all soldered in… desoldering the Teensy is basically not going to happen. Another reason for me to move away from this approach.

I don’t mind waiting one bit this is the kind of attention to detail that will make for an excellent tool
thank you keep being human

Hey there folks, super excited about this design, wondered if it might be possible to purchase a 16n anywhere? I remember @infovore made one from Div Kid; any help on this front would be great, many thanks M

Only a few prototypes are around for testing, AFAIK. See top post for current status :slight_smile:

I am so up for a built unit, any time:) Cheers M

Quick updates, because better to be honest out loud, it seems:

• 1.3 arrived and I’ve built it up.
  • all the MIDI is good, USB and jack; all the voltages are good
  • I need to test I2C again - there have been some slight changes to I2C implementation in 1.3 so I’m not just going to assume it’s good. That’s going to wait around a week or so, because I’m on vacation this week.

Here, have some pictures to explain why 1.3 is an improvement:

Photo%2012-09-2018%2C%2009%2058%2051

That nice big SOIC chip to the right of the Teensy is the multiplexer. That meant I had to reroute the entire damn board, and move all the little ICs along. But!

Photo%2012-09-2018%2C%2009%2059%2006

that’s the payoff: just two rows of Teensy pins on the back (this board is upside down compared to the previous picture). You can see all the multiplexer pins being broken out at image right.

I am pleased with this. We’re actually nearly there!

Update: I2C looks good!

I am now pushing ahead with the open source release. Work commitments mean that’ll be in the next few weeks. It will consist of a big git repository containing:

• schematics, board layouts, and gerber files for the electronics
  • CAD files for the top/bottom panels
  • all code for the firmware
  • links to BOMs and parts
  • an HTML page you can test the 16n with using WebMIDI
  • a build guide

Basically, everything you need to go and build your own. Onwards.

Full psychic support for your efforts here. Work constraints have royally fucked my creative plans for the year, so to see you both soldiering ( soldering ) on and giving so much is genuinely appreciated. Life gets in the way but I still believe in the trope that creation is its own reward. As a fellow UK-er I’d hope to reward/buy you a pint ( contents unspecified ) someday.

Will pre-built units still happen?

I believe @shellfritsch posted above that he’s still planning on doing a run of built units eventually

Right now, I personally am currently focusing on the open-source release, which is a stable point that other things can follow from, including people making their own, or groupbuys of boards, or people helping one another out.

But speaking for myself, I can’t commit to anything beyond that yet.

This is very wise. Good call.