Fall: generative synth/sequencer

fall

A generative sequencer with a synth engine and options for MIDI sequencing.

fall1

This script was inspired by the first gentle hints of autumn. It simulates falling leaves and plays notes when the leaves hit the bottom of the screen. Leaves have “wind” and a fade time – the wind determines how erratically they move, and the fade time causes more delay between notes. Leaves can be added and removed. When leaves move by each other they can trigger a rustling sound.

Video example: Login • Instagram

Requirements

• Norns
  • MIDI is optional but I really like using fall with things like Digitone and Peak
  • Grid: optional

Documentation

Here are the controls for the main screen:

• Key 2: Randomize current scale
  • Key 3: Stop and generate a new scale/melody
  • Enc 1: Change screen
  • Enc 2: Add/remove leaves
  • Enc 3: Cycle attack/release values

Here are the controls for the menu screens:

• E2: Move up and down the menu
  • E3: Change selected value

Here’s the LFO screen with similar controls to the menus, but notice you can press K3 to toggle the LFO on and off (they’re all off by default):

fall2

If you plug in a grid, you’ll be able to add and remove leaves. Use the last row to remove leaves, and the other rows to add them.

Download

Notes

• I’ve made quite a few demos of fall that I have shared on Instagram, but I expect there will be some bugs so I’m sorry if it causes you any issues
  • I intended this script to be softer than raindrops, but you can set the attack quite low to make it a little plucky
  • You can turn off the sound or just the rustling sound by going to the PARAMETERS, EDIT menu. There are a lot of options in there
  • I find this script and raindrops both work well if you layer them by sampling multiple takes with Norns tape, real tapes, looper pedals, eurorack modules like Mimeophon/Morphagene/ER-301
74 Likes

20 characters of excited to try this out this weekend

2 Likes

This sounds gorgeous. I’m running it through a Pladask Draume pedal and Fall is a dream. Thank you for this!

2 Likes

This script looks great.

And to use with a Pladask pedal is for a win.

3 Likes

Thanks for trying it! I’m curious about those pedals but I’m too disorganised to actually get hold of one :laughing:

3 Likes

really, really lovely script. thank you for making this! the rustling leaves are beautiful to listen to and watch.

i’m curious if you have plans for crow integration?

4 Likes

I don’t have Crow but I am interested in supporting it, I’d like to for raindrops as well

4 Likes

I’d be happy to help test if it would be useful.

3 Likes

A first run through with an NTS-1 over midi and some MS-70CDR fx plus a bit of Thyme mangling last night sounded great… the only problem being it was so relaxing that I started falling asleep. Today I will try the script after a good shot of coffee and some different midi devices.

Lovely work!

4 Likes

thanks @DoS, I’m glad it made you fall asleep! Thyme is kind of how I want the delays on these scripts to work but I’m still learning how to do softcut stuff. The built in LFO controlling (quantized) delay time can be interesting for that type of delay manipulation

3 Likes

Wowzers! By the way maybe add Norns tag because it has only Library and I missed this beauty :metal:

Playing with lfo targets generates awesome results! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s awesome that you found the LFO useful, it was more work than I expected!

I keep trying to add the right tags but I don’t have a high enough trust level in the forum software yet (I think, it’s confusing me)

2 Likes

Lovely seasonal concept script! :fallen_leaf:

I also observe that it is using standard MIDI CC values, which is a practice I don’t think is very usual for norns scripts, eg.

5 Likes

Awesome script, thanks!!!

Would be great having the “bits” as an LFO destination

3 Likes

Bits on LFO would be nice, I’ll add it when I get a chance :+1:

5 Likes

Beautiful script. I love Raindrops but I think I might end up loving Fall even more. Thank you!

1 Like

I tried it and it says: error: missing Autumn

What I’m missing to install??

(edit: Restarted my Norns and it worked)

2 Likes

dove into the leaves for last night’s noiz session…
all three norns running Fall.
one sending MIDI to an Access Virus B…another sending to the Wing Pinger being processed through a Cocoquantus.

5 Likes

Beautiful script @ambalek

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUQwl7LpCXA/?utm_medium=copy_link

Ope…just hooked it up to the Prophet 6. Someone better come peel me out of this chair in a few days.

8 Likes

It was 100 degrees in LA this week, I was throwing the same error

26 Likes