Favorite plug ins, worth buying 🙂

Came here to say this. If you know the tactile feeling of an acoustic piano, the noises it makes, the sympthetic resonance… the sampled instruments are always somehow off for me. Pianoteq nails it. In a much smaller footprint, too.

Other plugins I use almost all the time:

• Raum reverb: was free for a while around Christmas; a real gem of an effect with plenty of sweet spots. Works great for both synths and the guitar.
  • Polyplex drums: wall of sound approach that layers multiple samples on each hit. MIDI-mappable dice roll remixing of the preset gives fantastic variation properties.
  • Reaktor Blocks: mostly for controlling hardware 1v/oct voices and sending triggers + complex LFOs. But it’s also really fun as a software modular rack. With the latest update the main view shows “wire” connections, it’s cute but also improves usability.

Honorable mention:

• Shreddage: the most faithful and playable MIDI-controlled guitar representation I have seen and heard. The Serpent edition which is based on a PRS guitar is particularly well done.
1 Like

your content is wonderful and really next level, & your instagram page is really something, just gave it a follow. i had been considering heading down the guitar pedal path lately myself, mostly i always just used a laptop, maybe a hardware piece or two. actually i considered getting into modular, but jettisoned the idea. i think guitar pedals are a nice way to augment sound, while giving you that tactile feel for which modular is so well loved, and also being modular themselves. i also spotted slate & ash cycles quite sometime ago also and it does look fantastic. thanks for the unique demo

2 Likes

Well thank you, that is awfully kind. Truth be told, when I approached music again in 2017 after some time away, I couldn’t find many examples of people talking about how to make the kind of stuff that I wanted to make. So, when I stumble upon a tool or a technique that I think is interesting, I’ve tried to just stop and document the process. Hopefully it helps some folks out there on the big ole internet.

8 Likes

20 characters of, it does help.

Keep up the good work. It’s a great tool to help some of us out there.

1 Like

I reckon you guys are going to like our next instrument :slight_smile:

13 Likes

that does sound really nice. Getting a lot of use out of Cycles too

1 Like

Each time I finish an album, I look back at my patch notes and count what I used.

Apparently my favorite plugins right now are Valhalla Delay, DDMF MagicDeathEye, CraveDSP CraveEQ, and Valhalla Supermassive :smiley:

2 Likes

Somebody linked to a device on Tindie, and that led me back to looking at the DAFM (a neat little YM2612-based synth).

But that got me exploring Plogue Chipsynth MD again, and starting to really appreciate some of the weird stuff the plugin can do.

1 Like

This comment got me interested in Freakshow Industries so I ended up getting all 3 of their plugins. They’re excellent and truly unique – nothing else out there quite like them. I really appreciate that the documentation (tooltips in the plugin – no manuals) gives you enough info to have a reasonable idea of what you’re doing, while still leaving the exact mechanics of the sound mysterious (that self-care lever though!). It encourages experimentation in a really fun way. If you like making weird, dissonant stuff, or if you’re really angry at a particular sound and you want to mutilate it beyond recognition, you should definitely check these out. (Oh, and their artistic sensibility is just… chef’s kiss)

4 Likes

AudioThing has a new plugin called Speakers which seems pretty neat so far. It’s a replacement for their Megaphone and Speaker plugins, with plenty of convolution-based mic and speaker models, each with adjustable frequency, a delay/feedback section and EQ, plus distortion/other mangling, compression, filtering and noise loops, and routing options for all of them.

1 Like

related… if you have a convolution verb plugin, these IRs by Fokke van Saane are great! & free…
https://fokkie.home.xs4all.nl/IR.htm

Speakers and telephones version 1.2
This set contains mono to mono and mono to stereo IR’s of two old tube radio’s, 4 kinds of different speakers, 2 telephone horns and a walkman headphone. Version 1.2 adds a car radio system and a small portable cd player.

Claustrofobia v 1.1
This set contains mono to stereo IR’s of very small spaces like flower pots and dustbins etc

And others…

10 Likes

I am waiting for a sale on Ozone, if I missed I think I will buy Ozone 10 when it release.

Any comments on this plugin?

So cool! Thanks a lot for posting these! I think that’s the most interesting use for IRs, using it for weird stuff like this :slight_smile:
I think I said it already in this thread, but finding Reverberate to be a great IR based plugin that doesn’t break your bank, and you can load any audio file and use it as an impulse response.

3 Likes

anyone use the new hainbach + soniclab vst “fundemental”? looks cool but some people were complaining about ilok (which is some kind of drm as i understand?). anyone have problems with it? does it require an internet connection to use the software?

2 Likes

AFAIK iLok just requires another piece of software to track and manage licenses. Should function fine offline. I was suprised that a VST of this nature would be using iLok. I would also add that they are experiencing a lot of technical issues today, so if you’re going to pull the trigger maybe wait until tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks really great!

I didn’t have trouble with iLok, but their payment processing isn’t great… they don’t accept PayPal despite the logo (they said they were removing it) and Stripe refused my debit card for no reason I can fathom (as they have done before with Kickstarter) despite claiming to accept both debit and credit cards.

Fundamental itself is pretty wonderful though. I had it going for a few hours today while I was working from home, occasionally tweaking it or running it through other effects. It pairs nicely with AudioThing Speakers, or of course hardware distortion or filters. I think my favorite was when I had it going through three parallel comb filters with slowly, subtly wandering frequencies :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I must say, I’m slowly getting hooked on sonic-lab’s stochastic modulators. I had been toying with the demo of VolBot for a bit (there’s a chance I like volbot more than fundamental, so debating which to buy first). Fundamental doesn’t disappoint! I like how many different tools it brings to exploring the lovely but extremely narrow space of those Rohde and Schwartz oscillators. Creative limitation of the happy kind.

4 Likes

I wish it was a little easier in the Fundamental UI to precisely set the oscillator frequencies – that seems like it would have been more in the spirit of test equipment hardware! But it’s easy enough to do from within Bitwig. (Perhaps ironically, because they are VST parameters and they display in Hz, it’s easier to set Fundamental’s oscillator frequencies precisely than it is to do the same for Bitwig’s built-in oscillators in Grid…)

Another nice feature would have been the ability to use Harmonic mode to set the frequencies, but then preserve those when switching back to the free tuning mode.

Admittedly, I still haven’t read the manual so maybe I missed a trick or two. I do love the sound though, and find just the barest bit of slow modulation of frequency, level and pan can do wonders.

3 Likes

i’m super interested in trying out the slate + ash cycles.

for those using cycles already: are you using a MIDI controller with it at all or had any experience using cycles in a live setting? it looks like a lot of fun for a live set but would want to be away from the mouse as much as possible.

3 Likes