Field recording

Thanks a lot. Yes, very helpful.

2 Likes

just found this site recommended by an friend, very cool:
http://aporee.org/maps/

1 Like

also this one: http://www.frameworkradio.net/

I was thinking of getting an H6 has anyone got any comments on these. seem quite adaptable for a variety of tasks - not just field recording…but if the pre amps are noisey . Also what are those 2 mikes you get with them like? I have hated the sound of the inbuilt mikes on the cheaper zooms that i have used.

1 Like

From the historic Pumphouse, Byrd Park, Richmond, VA. Water is flowing and dripping throughout. This was recorded with a Neumann binaural head and will sound much better with headphones.

https://soundcloud.com/stephenvitiello/pumphouse-binaural-for-headphone-listening

5 Likes

I get a bit bored reading purely of technical and spec related issues about Field Recording so want to get a bit philosophical about the practice of Field Recording and start a discussion.

I have been thinking a lot about Field Recording as a sort of variation of a Mindfulness exercise. When you read something on Mindfulness practice they always start by saying things like ‘focus and concentrate on the breath’ but I have found a clear parallel with a focus and concentrating on sound/ listening when it comes to field recording. For me the process of field recording and the time spent intensely listening to sound has a benefit that others probably get from mindful breathing techniques.

The background to this thought came as I started the year in a bit of a rut - I felt a bit run down and had muddled thoughts in my head. I would often sit in my car in the car park near where I work for 10 minutes each morning before going into work and then often 10 or 15 minutes sitting in the car after work before driving home. I just sat there getting some time to myself and not even thinking. I noticed how many good sounds there were in this concrete multi-story car park. So since late January I have been sitting like this each morning and evening making 10 or 15 minute field recordings from different parts of the car park. I just sit in the car with the windows down and some omni-mics pointing out each side window. I have been getting some good sounds. After a few days I felt a lot better and I realize that Field Recording was my own version of ‘mindfulness’.

I expected someone had made this connection before and between field recording or just sound and mindfulness and the idea of focusing on listening - instead of on the breath. I wanted to follow up this idea with some reading on this idea but I have found nothing on the web at all. Can anyone point to anything that has been written that conveys similar ideas?
Does someone out there want to think and write about this?

I am still trying to figure out what to do with these ‘Car Park recordings’ - its like a little sound diary at the moment but I am still making them two or three days a week and have quite a few hours now.

26 Likes

maybe anything written about deep listening might be relevant to your interest.

I’d just keep the recordings as a sound diary. either public or personal. its the process that seems to be what you are looking for, not the result.

if you want to make them useful as recordings, put them somewhere (online/offline) with a few details of the conditions and the sounds, and maybe a few things that were going on in your head at the time. or add them to freesound.org

Sounds like you might have been heading towards a bout of depression (speaking from experience) and that thankfully you have managed to find a ‘reason’ to sit quietly in the third space.

it might be worth branching this discussion off into therapeutic listening thread… how we use sounds/music for therapeutic purposes.

** edit** new topic made! Therapeutic Listening

4 Likes

you, maybe ?

it sounds like you’ve found yourself a great artistic project : i’m sure that with time and practice of these deep listenings and recordings processes, something very interesting will emerge.

this process (i mean your project and field recordings in general) makes me think a lot about photography processes : a picture is taken/recorded, and then it takes a long time before a form emerge from all the pictures taken : developments, editing, arranging, chosing, ordering, etc.
i think all this process is another way of (deep) listening to oneself. another kind of meditation, long run, with or across other rythms.

another way i’m looking at it : it’s a lot like alchemy. working on matter (here : sounds) transforms you (ie your spirit/soul/inner self/whatever you name it).

3 Likes

This is a most useful definition of alchemy.

2 Likes

pues,
¿what do we know about this… :slight_smile:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MV88

1 Like

I just bought a Tascam DR-100 MK3 (recently released) and a couple of Rode M5s and I’m totally hooked.

Time to read/listen through this thread and buy that book.

1 Like

Two coats of plastidip usually does me fine. The big key to contact mic sound turned out to be decent pre-amping, rather than just that tinny, hipassed sound you get plugging them direct into a recorder.

hey, can someone recommend a tiny, pocket sized recorder. I already have a sony pcm d-50 recorder plus mics for purposeful recording outings, but would love something that could just live in my pocket on a regular day in case i stumble across some nice sound

1 Like

Do you use an iPhone? There are some pretty good mics for iPhone that are pocket size by both Shure and Zoom. Not to mention that I’ve had great results with the built in iPhone 6 and 7 mics. Just like cameras, the best mic is the one that’s always with you.

6 Likes

This use case is why I funded the MikMe a long while back. Looks like they’ll finally be ready to ship in the next couple of months.

I do, but I’m perpetually almost out of memory.

2 Likes

i love my zoom h1, tiny and great quality

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s always an issue with phones. When I needed a new phone I got the largest storage available, and so far so good.

What about iPhone + Zoom/Shure mic + SD Card attachment?

Otherwise the smallest good quality recorder I’ve used is the Zoom h1, as @nuun said.

Came across this guide to recorders…sort of put me off the zoom H6.

1 Like

I bet this would sound really interesting if you slowed it down to half or quarter speed… hm.

edit: whoops, I didn’t realize that this was from so long ago.

1 Like