Field recording

llllllll

i know i know lists are just about displays of taste and always a bit suspect but i can’t really comprehend how a list of “The Best Field Recording Albums In The World” doesn’t mention Toshiya Tsunoda

Yeah, not a comprehensive list.

ya sorry it was a curmudgeonly aside

edited to add: i’m just a Tsunoda superfan

It seems like a strange list to me, but I think that’s a good thing.
In general I’m always distrustful of “best of lists”… what is good and what is bad is always a highly subjective thing
So I like strange best of lists, because they more often than not features stuff I hadn’t heard about before, like in this case.

A binaural walk around Brixton, London - circa 2006, that I found sorting through a bunch of old hard drives.

This is the sort of recording I’d make more of if I had time - it now feels like part social document, part journey into old memories…

Expect plenty of reggae :grinning:

Thanks for sharing Mark, listening now this is great!
When I hear things like this I miss living in London…

Thinking about getting those binaural Luhds to do similar activities. If nothing else, I’d probably walk around with them on just to enhance my own listening experiences for fun, but the convenience seems undeniable.

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Some of you may find this amusing. Last Wednesday (22.11.2017), I took a new stereo pair of LOM Uši pro microphones on a soundwalk close to my home in Tampere, Finland. The purpose was to collect field textures for electroacoustic manipulation in planned compositions, as well as test out the mikes’ sensitivity to delicate sounds as I stomped through snowy undergrowth and leaf litter, squelched through muddy puddles and crunched over thin ice in my wellies.

A grave misjudgement leading to my stepping into a waist-deep bog put an early end to the experiment.

It was cold and, to be honest, a bit hairy for a moment there. The Hound of the Baskervilles flashed before my eyes. :sweat_smile:

I can’t stop laughing at this! :joy:

I hope you’ve recovered and are warm now.

All better now, thanks. Before the accident, I got about fifteen minutes of all sorts of lovely sounds, so all’s well.

sweet stereo image tho

I feel guilty for laughing but the pictures those sounds conjured up in my head were wonderful!
Nice recording though :slight_smile:

Great that you captured it all though :slight_smile:

Managed to get some LOMs in the most recent pre-order and I’m excited to check them out. Also grabbed some Luhd binaurals - which I’ll probably end up using more than anything due to the sheer ease of popping them in my ears and going on a walk.

C

:grin:

So good. at least the USI’s stayed safe, dropped mine in the sea a few times… :ocean:

Thanks for the indirect heads up on the Luhds. I just ordered the binaural and stereo mics the other day. Will post about them here once I get them :slight_smile:

Hey Net,
Just downloading your ‘Grammostola’ album, I am liking your sounds, how much of this work is field recorded sound and processing? It seems to my ears like a lot of this sound started life as field recordings? Can you talk is through the process?

Cheers

Thanks for your interest! As far as I can remember, Grammostola doesn’t have any field recordings at all. Pretty much all the sounds came from thriftshop choral vinyl, which I put through a lot of granulation and stuff. I adore choral music and use it pretty much all the time in one way or another. For melodies, I mainly used Robert Henke’s Granulator II plugin for max4live.

But it dawned on me after a while that I seemed to be trying to make music that resembled field recordings a bit - lots of textures always moving and never repeating, but at the same time keeping more or less the same ‘ambient’ structure. ‘Suvanto’ (‘stream pool’ in Finnish) was a very deliberate attempt to make a kind of swampy environment.

I’ve been doing the same thing ever since, and more recently like to mix actual field recordings in with “synthesised” field recordings and generally make interestingly-textured (for me) soundscapes.

Not sure if this has popped up, but this has been super cool to pore over in the last week.

Jez has conducted a series of short interviews with a number of artists who employ field recording in their work.

nice album from Allysse Riordan out today.

I received my Luhd microphones. I recorded my entire commute to work with the binaural mics and Zoom H6 today, just listening back to it now. It’s actually pretty surreal and scary how well it picks up some sounds, and actually kind of disorienting to listen to at times!