Field recording

llllllll

Cool! Then you could leave your H4n in your pocket/bag, have the mics discreetly poking out, and then you could use something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/970959-REG/auray_rch4n_remote_control_for_zoom.html

Has control over gain, and has a light to show if you’re peaking :slight_smile:

I’m happy with the Telinga clip-on microphones. They are quite, with ~14 dBA noise level.

clip

I’m using them along with a FEL BMA2 stereo battery mic amplifier (I think it’s out of production now)

I can speak to this a bit. Compared to larger diaphragm mikes from DPA, Sennheiser and the like, the small DPAs are “noisy”. And if you’re in wilderness and catch that rare moment when no airplane is passing by and the acoustics of the space are sparse, and you crank the gain to 9, then you’ll hear noise. But then again, you’ll hear some with other mikes as well.

For me it’s a non-issue for a few reasons. One, I never want to hear such spaces played back at a volume high enough that the noise of the mikes is noticeably annoying. If the space is quiet, then I’m happy to let its recording reflect that. Two, the noise is nice. Really, the few times that I’ve noticed it, I’ve found it to add a sonic character to the recording that is often pleasant. And lastly, three: what the DPAs achieve technically in their near-perfect omni presentation is worth pretty much any drawback in my opinion. I run them A-B and am regularly amazed at their presentation. Assuming you like what omnis do, they achieve it all: solid stereo information along with height and depth.

the old Chris Watson coat hanger trick using a pair of Uši Pro.

Amazing how that has actually become a recording technique! I use it too…

Thought I’d share my budget mid-side setup with a rhode nt2a and a cheap cardioid pencil mic - works supprisingly well in the strong Scottish wind. Plugs into a Tascam DR-70d carried in a shoulder bag I made. The cardioid can be used handheld, on a boom or it screws into the bracket on the rhode for static stereo recording. I’ve used it for a bit of everything - booming for mini documentaries to soundscapes in the highlands!

I’m a fan of the coat hangar, but I found the setup and breakdown time to be a bit slow. I had NOT considered little clamps though and was using electrical tape. Good idea to use those!

Yeah clamps are the key. I try to never use tape on my cables … I hate that sticky residue.

Has anyone used line audio cm3’s for field recording? I’ve got one in my mailbox I picked up to replace my studio mic but have been wondering it’s viability in the field.

The general consensus is that they’re great value for money and sound much better than you’d expect. A lot of people recommend them especially for their light weight and longevity.

Not personally, but I’ve heard some nice recordings from others. The general consensus was that they needed sound devices grade preamps - as the mics are quite low sensitivity.

These clamps are just perfect! great trick! Also use them to keep solenoids in place sometimes.
It’s interesting that on the other hand some people recommend electrical tape to attach contact mics (eg. Jez Riley French) and to his support anything else I’ve tried didn’t really work for me. destroyed one contact mic using gaffer tape and blutack just won’t stick enough. I guess what I want to say though, is that I’m still looking for a solution, as I really can’t stand electrical tape.

Depending on the size of the object being recorded, I’ve used a sliding clamp to hold my JrF contact mic in place:

I didn’t notice much (if any) difference in resonance from the object being recorded. Double-sided tape yielded good results but it was also a near disaster- took forever to remove afterwards, though applying the side that’ll be in contact with the mic to something like a cloth before the mic would probably help.

Experts for nature recording suggest a maximum of 16 dB(A) mic self-noise level or lower.
Similarly, 10 dB(A) or lower has also been suggested for quiet natural locations.

DPA 4060 give 23dB(A) with 20mV/Pa sensitivity. So we can tell them noisy…

Here are two comparisson charts by Rob Danielson from naturerecordists mailing list on mic specifications. They are almost a decade old now and I can’t find them online anymore but still are very valuable resources:
Mics_16dBA.xls (106 KB)
MicNoiseSensv01.xls (307.5 KB)

Here is also a very useful paper from Rene on selecting mic preamps:
Selecting Mic Preamps.pdf (441.7 KB)

Those usi pros and the Telinga clip ons look great but usi is always sold out and Telinga is out of my price range, any suggestions for something similar and nearly as good?

My DIY binaural mic.

here’s ,my field recordiing track with zoom h1

field recordings are from countryside with sheeps and sheep milking

~ In the field today ~

Your mic looks awesome!