> flash crash: new year's day 2022

Warming up before the show
rubs hands together

17 Likes

That is so cool. What are you controlling in that video?

What are you controlling in that video?

My little synth Enfer.

I love your background. Prospect was such a gorgeous movie.

1 Like

12 Likes

hey everyone, unfortunately i am going to be giving up my time slot for tomorrows flash crash. i’ve been having a hard time managing my anxiety, and it’s become pretty clear that i’m not going to be able to pull it together this time. if you are interested in performing, hit up @tyleretters to set things up.

i’ll definitely still be tuning in, and am excited to see everyone play!

32 Likes

twenty characters of :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

I hope you feel better.

5 Likes

@Justmat Take care :slight_smile: see you on the chat o/

6 Likes

doors are open:

17 Likes

22 Likes

Code for my set here

EDIT: Writeup link is here! Flash Crash 210710 SC Set Writeup

17 Likes

fc210710 patch notes

I/O + voices
Ins
6 - Receives gate out from OP-Z (each bar).
7 - Receives PO sync from OP-Z (each eighth note).

Outs
TR/CV 1 - Mother 32 gate/pitch
TR/CV 2 - Bass (Ts-L + Cinnamon)
TR/CV 3 - Strega
CV 4 - Strega filter time (but very attenuated)
TR 5 - Envelope for bass cutoff
CV 5 - Bass envelope lengths (JF time input)
Mother 32 → Strega → Reverb

Map Ascension

Wubs
Bass voice is controlled from script 1, which is essentially EVERY X and EVERY Y triggering a bass note with EVERY Y also triggering a sweep of the filter cutoff. Script 4 randomizes X and Y. I trigger this manually until I find a pleasing rhythm. There’s also some longer EVERY’s to occasionally lengthen the envelopes. Two EVERY's is a simple way to hunt for interesting rhythms; it helps to randomize X to a shorter value and Y to a longer value.

Melody - rhythm
A is randomized to any value, then the bits in that number are used as a length 16 pattern. Script 2 basically rotates the bits in A, gets the current bit and triggers the M32 if that bit is 1.

B is also randomized to any value, and controls when the atmosphere/twinkles play from strega. I wanted this to be more random, so script 3 basically mangles B against A then checks if the bottom bit is on.

Melody - arp morph + chord changes

• Pattern 0 is a minor scale
  • Pattern 1 is the arp shape
  • The melody uses the next value of arp shape as an index into the scale each time it plays a new note CV 1 N P PN.NEXT 1.

This is the fun part - each bar all voices get offset to a new root note in the scale and the lead arp shape is morphed (script 6). P.I MOD ADD P.I DRUNK P.I is updating the root note. J MOD ADD PN.HERE 1 2 P.L is adding 2 to the current arp shape value which gets assigned PN.HERE 1 J. Which of the three arp notes gets morphed depends on where the chord change lands in the melody.

NB: Use ADD for dramatic effect.

19 Likes

Phenomenal music today. Many thanks to everyone who performed!

9 Likes

Thanks everyone, that was incredible!

6 Likes

how we left it:

--[[ hello there.
]]--

s = sequins

a = s{0,3,8,5,12,15,s{19,24,31}:every(2)}
b = s{1,-1,2,s{3,4}:every(2)}
c = s{0,1,-1,s{2,3}:every(2)}
d = s{0.15,s{0.25,0.1,0.5}:every(4)}
e = s{1,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,1,0,1,1,0}

output[2].action = ar(0.001,dyn{r=0.15},5)
output[4].action = ar(0.0001,0.15,10)

note = function()
  output[1].volts = a()/12
  output[2]()
  output[3].volts = c()
  output[2].dyn.r = d()
end

pluck = function()
  while true do
    if e() == 1 then
      output[4]()
    end
    clock.sync(1/4)
  end
end

clock.run(pluck)

overover = function()
  while true do
    note()
    clock.sync(1/4)
  end
end

clock.run(overover)

ch = function()
  while true do
    a:step(b())
    clock.sleep(2)
  end
end

clock.run(ch)
24 Likes

i could listen to pluck() and moog forever

8 Likes

everyone’s set was so great :slight_smile: I can’t believe how much stuff I learned and was totally inspired watching everyone do their thing. thank you all for sharing!

my set code was refined into internorns, a live-coding environment for norns. the second song was refined into the docs for internorns.

18 Likes

for folks who were asking about the neo teletype videos - here is the code: GitHub - scanner-darkly/teletype at matrix

you can build working firmware from it, alt-m starts the opening sequence and alt-t starts the announcement sequence, you have to power cycle after that but if you want to make a matrix style screen saver should be easy enough.

14 Likes

And SUB for sub bass.

6 Likes