saturday, june 5 2021 at 12:30 pacific time
flash crash is a celebration of livecoding.
inspired by the global livecoding scene and anchored with the rallying cry “show us your screens!”
following in our tradition of lines community streams, signups are now open. @scanner_darkly, @anxietymachine, and i are organizing with support from @oot and others. more tech details to follow (will probably just do the twitch round robin host thing? open to ideas.) for now:
- head over to the lines community discord
- get inspired by my favorite artist in the scene, @hellocatfood
- start practicing!
- pre-coding templates/scenes is totally ok!
- outboard gear, modular, vsts, etc. are totally ok!
- this is envisioned as a performance and not a workshop, so you don’t need to narrate what you’re doing or provide learning resources, etc.
teletype is envisioned to be the star of the show but tidal, hydra, max, orca, supercollider, norns, and any other friends are welcome - just make sure we can see your code while you play!
live coding is extremely intimate, vulnerable, and cerebral. it takes courage. to help normalize the trial-and-error nature of scripting we’re offering two prizes:
prize 1: QUANTITY OVER QUALITY WINNER: Filemaker aka @misuba
sometimes things just don’t go your way… over and over again. to the performer that just can’t catch a break the prize is a RADIO MUSIC module. after a long day of hacking, sometimes you just gotta kick back and listen to some (modulated and processed) music.
define a crash?
teletype doesn’t exactly crash, but “crashes” for the prize include, but are not limited to:
- any time you get the teletype
- complete system failures requiring power cycles
- infinite loops
- feedback glitches
- obvious patch misfires
- sudden audio dropouts
- camera failures
- syntax errors
- cat ambushes
- random friends popping by to sleep on your couch…
prize 2: …I MEANT TO DO THAT WINNER: @attowatt
sometimes things just don’t go your way… until they do! to the performer that discovers the most insanely ill patch/script/movement/technique the prize is a copy of the book FLASH CRASH (i haven’t read it but it looks cool). in 2010 a thing happened. this book is about that.