Frap Tools Falistri

I just picked up a Falistri, and I’m having a blast with it. The function generators sound great as oscillators, with accurate tracking and a lot of tonal shaping potential. And the self-patchability is off the charts. With so many thoughtful inputs, outputs, and utilities, you can get into some unique territory easily. It can even function as a complete voice, with some clever normalizations throughout.

Not many here seem to own one, granted, but I’m interested in reading/hearing some patch ideas and interesting uses you’ve had for it. Or just some sound examples featuring it in some way. Would be inspiring as I kick off my own explorations.

3 Likes

I have one, picked it up about a month ago. I assumed I’d use it primarily as a function generator, but it has such a flexible, noisy sound that it’s served most often as an oscillator.

Self patching into the four quadrant multiplier is rather fun.

I’ll see if I can find any interesting recordings a bit later.

3 Likes

Overview video

Patch notes/demos from Frap Tools’ instagram page (the last one was posted a day ago, so there will likely be more):

Waveshaping

Kick Drum #1

VCA / AM / RM

Pitch Smoothing

On Rest / To Rise

Formant / Sync

Complex Envelopes #1

Ratcheting-Like Effect #1

Ratcheting-Like Effect #2

Accents #1

Accents #2

Complex Envelopes #2

Synth Voice

Two Falistri Arpeggiator / Formant Oscillator (longer video on Youtube)

Two Falistri Industrial Groove (longer video on Youtube)

Octave Blends

4 Likes

It looks awesome, and perhaps Maths finally has some competition except for the fact that it consumes over 4 watts(!) or nearly as much as three Maths! I’m not even sure if an 18hp faceplate can dissipate that much heat unless it’s vertical or has a fan on it. :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

If any module would be enhanced by Bananuts, I think it’s this one.

1 Like

I love my falistri! What seemed like a cryptic panel is pretty straight forward once you play around with it. Left to right convention and the colours helped.

1 Like

I agree about the panel becoming easy to navigate fairly quickly, but it can be challenging to work with in the dark!

2 Likes

Yeah, once you dig in, the layout is pretty clear and easy to move around in. I honestly strongly prefer it to Maths’ layout, which opts for a verticality that never really made much sense to me.

More than any added visual clarity on the panel, I’m looking forward to using Falistri with an oscilloscope. More than most modules, this one cries out for constant visual understanding of what’s going on with your waveforms at any given point (or maybe that’s just me?)

As an aside, I think it’s a brilliant and under-recognized move for Frap Tools to essentially be creating the micro versions of their own modules, right out of the gate. I appreciate it as someone with a very small, minimal case, but they also manage to do it in a way that doesn’t feel cramped or compromised. (I’m thinking of Sapel and 321 as other examples of this.)

3 Likes

One thing I’ve been wondering about - when using both function generators as oscillators, are you able to get into complex oscillator territory? How does it compare to dedicated complex osc modules? (I don’t have a complex oscillator to compare Falistri to.) I haven’t yet wrapped my head around what the patching flow would even look like if you were to use the Falistri in those ways.

You can get draw some really nice waveforms with slopes. Sounds really alive and buzzy. Not a demo but here is an example. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzwg88HBDyS/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

3 Likes

Uh! I love Falistri. It’s much more than the usual two AD envelopes, it’s a single voice, it’s a dual oscillator, it’s got frequency dividers (uni and bipolar, useful for sub-octave generation, clock dividers, etc…), it’s got a VCA/ringmod, it’s got a separate slew limiter (it’s a third envelope!), whoa, it’s awesome.

Here are some examples from my Instagram:

Falistri as a dual oscillator:

Krell patch with just 2 modules: Sapèl and Falistri:

Falistri in formant mode (reminds me of Mangrove):

A drone with Falistri modulated by Sapèl:

A stupid thing with Falistri, Sapèl, Telharmonic, Plaits and Erbe-Verb:

Falistri as a single voice sequenced by Less Concepts (Norns version):

Fried Green Apples of the Moon: Falistri modulated by Sapèl and STO

BTW the manual is fantastic, it’s a book: http://frap.tools/manualone/

and @joshuaandrew I loved your instagram post!

5 Likes

I picked one of these up about a month ago originally to replace my maths, but love the sound of it as an oscillator so much I ended up keeping both. I’ve yet to fully figure out what’s what, but the manual is easy to follow and I’ve had plenty of wonderful accidents along the way. Can’t recommend it enough.

2 Likes

@joshuaandrew and @AlessandroBonino, those clips sound so damn good, thanks for sharing them. I love how alive this thing sounds. It’s going to be very tempting to use Falistri as a dual/complex oscillator all the time.

Your videos contributed largely to my purchase, I have the Maths the DUSG and now the Falistri and couldn’t be happier haven’t had so much fun with a module for a long time

2 Likes

I had the same approach but couldn’t get rid of Maths, no module can touch it in regards to the snapyness of its envelopes I found even the Falistri, so I kept it.

1 Like

There’s a great Techniques page now on the Frap Tools website. It goes into detail on all of the videos they’ve done, including step-by-step instructions in text.

2 Likes

How are folks using the “Quadrature” toggle in their patches? I adore my Falistri but I have to say I seldom touch this switch. I’ve read the documentation a few times and it’s never really clicked for me.

I have never used it. But I have never used it in my 281 either, and not even in Maths. I love simple ADs.

Chris Meyer of Learning Modular has done an excellent 4-part series of tutorial videos on the Falistri (with more videos available for his Patreon subscribers). Part 1 is here. Clear, informative, and chock-full of useful information and tips for beginners and advanced users alike.

3 Likes

Thanks for the video link @naxuu, I’ve been thinking about getting one of these to replace a gen-1 Maths in my portable case.

I really don’t like the log/lin/exp knob on Maths, I find it too easy to knock, and I dislike the workflow where changing the curve requires changing the segment times, so the time invariant curves would make me happier.

That plus the added extras like the ring mod and dividers makes this module feel like it would be really useful in a small case.

3 Likes