Friends of norns: gear, accessories, etc

Hi all, I’m new here! I ran a search for topics on this question, and while I’m sure they exist somewhere, I haven’t found anything. Apologies in advance heheh

I’m looking for a portable battery pack to power my new (yay!) Norns shield. I purchased it pre-assembled and I don’t have much electronics experience though. I found these power packs that look like they would get the job done. Am I on the right track? Or, does anyone have a stronger recommendation?

https://vilros.com/products/10-000mah-portable-power-supply-for-raspberry-pi

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1566?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnKeCBhDPARIsAFDTLTK-ij3wJ0EvoSbg88KZXG8spHPz-p-c8p6IPDVPyCrjIQU-JR1WQs0aApbfEALw_wcB

Thanks much

2 Likes

The first one should work, 5v at 3amps if that is per output and not 1.5amps each. The second is described as 2amps per output which can be under powered depending on how hard your norns is working and if you have any peripherals plugged in that are drawing power as well. Also see @zebra’s note on the importance of quality usb cables: Norns: update 210301 - #35 by zebra

1 Like

Curious how marrying Sensory Percussion with Norns went and how you routed the CC to Norns. I’m interested in following this path as well.

I’m trying to avoid shelling out the bread for a grid, and have this old Ohm RGB by Livid… When I plug it into my norns it doesn’t seem to recognize it… Does anyone know if theres a way I can use this thing as a grid + take advantage of the faders/knobs it contains? can these two become friends??

this is reminding me of those sort of wooden frog instruments. have you tried rubbing the side with the stick?

4 Likes

they should definitely be able to become friends. as of using it as a grid, the livid block is currently supported by midigrid so there’s probably not much work to make your ohm rnb work. make a post in the midigrid thread as you can get better help there, and you can help add it to the list of supported devices.

as for the knobs and faders, it should work natively when you connect it. does it not turn up at all under norns system - devices - midi menu? if it does, set it to a port and just map it to whatever params you want inside a script under the params - map menu.

and you’ll probably be able to use both grid with midigrid and mapped faders and knobs simultaneously. at least the unused buttons on my launchpad and mappable even when running midigrid.

1 Like

Does it not show up in the midi menu? The faders and pots should work with the standard midi learn functionality on Norns.
If this works then getting it working with midigrid shouldn’t be to bad, I quick look at the manual and I think it’s using the same layout as the livid block, just need to sort out the different colour codes.

1 Like

Hey people, that should be ok for powering Norns via usb while I’m powering my modular right?

Thanks

2 Likes

its weird, I showed up for a sec in the devices menu but then disappeared and was replaced by “virtual”. The RGB is also bus powered and when I start up the norns the controller lights up as expected but then shuts off after a few minutes. will check out midigrid to see if that opens some doors.

What’s the power requirement for the ohmRGB? Have you tried a powered USB hub? That kind of sounds like something is not right and midigrid will not help if you don’t have a stable usb midi connection

1 Like

strange thing, also, after I installed midigrid, and switched it to the 3rd usb port (3rd from the power port) it was catching CC and I could map things. and the power wasn’t going off. For whatever reason it wasn’t liking the 2nd usb input (2nd from the power port)… Grid still no love tho…

1 Like

So I have the first gen NI Maschine that I really never use, so I was wondering what everyone thinks of using it as a midi controller for the norns shield. It can act as a normal MIDI controller, but am curious if anyone’s tried it or is using it, and how.

I just want a simple pedal that will let me press rec in some of the looper scripts in my Norns Shield (Oooooo, Barcode, Wrms…). I just missed the opportunity to get a hold on an used cheap Gecko mk2 from One Control, but I don’t even know if that one will work.

What is the best (and maybe even cheapest) solution for me to hunt down?

1 Like

What about something like this? https://www.tindie.com/products/beatbars/footswitch-to-midi-usb-adapter-fs2m/

1 Like

I just got a Midi baby 3 for this. Not the cheapest solution, but pretty flexible as each switch can send multiple messages for press, hold and long hold. I plan to customize some loopers to trigger record, reverse and half speed with each switch. Maybe also add tap tempo to Timeparty or Pedalboard.

1 Like

I have one of these but have not tried it with Norns yet.

3 Likes

i have a UMI3 as well, norns doesn’t seem to recognize it at all. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The midi baby 3 works I’m happy to report! Just got it working with barcode this morning. Had to fiddle with the web editor a bit but I like how customizable it is. You’ll probably have to do a bit of coding to get a script to respond to a foot switch how you want, but it’s not too bad

1 Like

damn. I wonder why?! it claims to be class compliant.

I went in on one of these. Mostly for Octatrack but I was hoping also for Norns.
I hope it will be recognized :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’m looking for something as small and simple like this (a midi version of course):

1 Like