Friends of norns: gear, accessories, etc

@Oootini I don’t know, I haven’t tried. I suppose so! I’ll see if I have a micro-USB to USB-A cable and give that a try.

But OP was asking for a USB MIDI to DIN MIDI interface - the cable I linked seems (to me) to match that description, and I know it works!

1 Like

Yeah what @Helen suggested should work fine. Same pasta different shape… this has worked perfectly for me. @vinc

https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG/ref=asc_df_B00CO5IRSG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=417001568156&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12426298541280433153&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016138&hvtargid=pla-383381923843&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=93357003545&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=417001568156&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12426298541280433153&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016138&hvtargid=pla-383381923843

@xmacex :small_red_triangle_down:

LEGO’s! Facepalm moment. lol. Been thinking of a fun way to prop the Norns up and yet LEGO’s completely escaped me. NICE.

Hell yes to the tidal cycles running also!!!

Seeing tidal cycles made me think of a non meat space buddy of mine. Daniel M Karlsson. Wizard and for years upon years was an audio “beeple” of sorts to me. Releasing things every single day for ages.

http://www.conditional.club/releases/expanding-and-overwriting

4 Likes

I use one of these, to sequence my hydrasynth

Has the added bonus of being dual midi din, so two things can be sequenced

1 Like

Isn’t one of the DIN plugs a MIDI-IN plug here?

They can both function as in, or out.

2 Likes

does Shnth work with norns? :slight_smile:

It sure does. Have you checked THIS out?

1 Like

Aaah thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you planning on rolling this out as a script or does it require a lot of hacking to get running on norns?

1 Like

There is hacking (well, what counts as “hacking” but…) involved, but i will definitely document the procedure here on llllines once i get it nailed down for myself. There is quite a number of steps involved, first allowing SuperCollider to accept more connections, having a norns script which doesn’t redraw the screen for console access, mapping the consoles to framebuffer, logging in, changing console settings, Emacs setup, bringing down norns to free memory for the tidal Haskell library compilation, and also SuperDirt :exploding_head: And it still doesn’t always work. But when it does, it’s ravetime :keyboard:

Getting to SuperCollider livecoding is quite a stable procedure once the groundwork is done, TidalCycles isn’t. I’ll need the documents for myself, and of course for the benefit of others who might be up for this kind of fun.

2 Likes

I notice that the TidalCycles team are sponsoring a Google summer of code project to “work on a binary distribution of Tidal and its API”. If that turns out well hopefully some of the installation pain might go away :crossed_fingers:.

4 Likes

Anyone tried this with a Norns? I think I love it, but I wanna know for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you asking if Norns can receive midi from this device? Because you can definitely process audio from drumkid with Norns. I don’t have one of these drumkids so I don’t know about the MIDI, but I would assume it would connect just fine. “Does it work with Norns?” Is kind of too broad of a question.

1 Like

I’m just wondering if anyone has used one with Norns, does anyone here own one and like using it with a Norns. Do they consider it a friend of Norns, instead of going on my own assumptions of ‘yeah, it’ll likely work’ :slight_smile: I didnt ask ‘does it work with Norns’, but knowing for sure the MIDI works would be great, or I’ll happily be a test subject I guess? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been mulling over whether to get a grid for my norns shield, or whether to get a second shield.

Grid seems really nice and opens up a lot of scripts I can’t currently run (like mlr). However, I’ve gotten by just fine without grid and the implementation of midigrid and my push 2 has been really nice.

Getting a second shield seems fun to me as I can use my first shield to sequence my Minilogue which could get routed into CC2 to create a whole tapestry of sound.

Any advice out there on which way to go here?

1 Like

If you have any tablet, you can mimic a grid with TouchOSC. Should give you a feel for how useful it’ll be!

Yes! I’ve used TouchOSC with CC2 and I have to say it is incredibly playful. I do think getting a grid would create a lot of opportunities for me to dig deeper into the norns.

1 Like

get a second shield
no question

3 Likes

See TouchOSC templates for Grid and Arc

1 Like

DrumKid purchased. Hopefully it’ll be delivered by the end of the week, and then I’ll try it out with my Norns Shield :slight_smile:

4 Likes