FYI: new monome sequencer

hei folks,
just a quick link to a fun project i’ve been working on: for the past months i’ve been building a new polyrhythmic sequencer for the Monome 256. then i got distracted and decided to spend some hours on developing a midi-interface for my old hohner rhythm 80 drum-machine.

VIDEO ON YOUTUBE

the sequencer’s algorithm and several of its functions are based on a Max for Live plugin i’ve written some time ago (see POLYRHYTHMUS on CDM) – the new software how ever will be standalone.

edit: as this thread has progressed to my delight, here’s where you can see videos of the potential sequencer as such: FYI: new monome sequencer

16 Likes

very nice!

also great GUI design!

Cool. Polyrythmus is one of my favourite max4live plugins!

2 Likes

amazing work!

I would guess you still need your computer ON to run your patch and an arduino connected to it, right?

As in: could you port your patch to work on the arduino and plug the monome into it and have it “standalone” ? sort of standalone White Whale ?

hello @hems,
no, unfortunately i’m nothing close to a good enough programmer to do something like this :slight_smile: the monome-part if completely written in max, so – yes, you need a computer to run it. i do how ever love the idea of a monome-sequencer running from an arduino. i suppose it’d be possible, though i have no clue how to write something like that.

the midi-interface for the hohner / drum-machine is what involves the arduino in the video. it’s simple, standalone and received midi via a a midi-in (+ arduino is powered via the hohner itself)

soo so good. holding the screwdriver while playing?? !!! and those sounds are fantastic.

great interface. could you give a text breakdown of what everything does? i could likely hard-code a version that could run on WW/MP or a r-pi or an arduino due.

6 Likes

<3 polyrythmus – so glad you’re building a monome app around it. thank you so much for your work.

any shot this would make its way to the 128? judging by your video, functionality requires 16 across but looks like 8 down could function as well.

4 Likes

@tehn – i’m totally speechless right now. really, really happy that you like it – thank you (: i’m so brandnew to the monome community, yet so eager to get this sequencer finished as i’ve been struggling with programming the (at least for my needs) “perfect” tool since roughly two years. thanks to the monome, i have finally found an instrument seeming to be completely ideal for everything i’d like to do.

imagining, that this (or a comparable) sequencer could run on a raspberry – i couldn’t tell you how incredible this would be. i’ve been searching ways for max to run “in a box” for quite some while, but haven’t found a decent solution. how ever the sequencer as such might turn out to be pretty complex. this kind of conflicts with my lacking knowledge of javascript – the grid- and led-management is pretty much of a mess right now (you may recall i opened a thread to get some tips).

anyhow – i’ll see that i make a quick video of what it currently (more or less) can do by tomorrow. will post it here. the hohner clip above is really only a modest fragment… it has some fun, weird features, yet many to still be added (:

@dan_derks: thanks so very much, too! i’m very glad you like. i haven’t considered making a 128 version of it, how ever i had no clue that there might be an interest in the community. i don’t own a monome 128, hbut i guess i could manage to “simulate” one with mine? … it’ll all take some time for me, and there’s A L O T of perfectionising to do, but i’m eager to learn and contribute.

thanks guys! made my day <3

4 Likes

absolutely love polyrhythmus, very excited about this. thank you!

Great, now I’ll need a :telescope: to find my mind. Thank you so much.

thanks guys <3 makes me very happy, all this.

there’s a video of the monome sequencer explained. sorry for my incapability of decently articulating myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cap0LG2AAtg

the thing is pretty long. i’d be gracious if you bare with me, because my actual intention of sharing this at a such early stage is to get some ideas, some input – and ideally some help (: … i still have many, many problems with the tool – i’m very bad in grid management due to my complete incapability of writing JS. i basically have an idea of what is needed – and i think it might even be simple… i just have no clue how to code it.

then again, i would how ever love to finish this project ASAP, for my personal use and for sharing it here. it seems the monome community is flooded with pretty nifty programmers and creative, motivated minds, and i’m aware that everybody has projects he/she’s working on – if how ever there’s any motivation to jump in and “collaborate” or simply help me out here and there as for getting the grid a little cleaner – i’d be super happy (and maybe in the end we’d have a working tool that makes some other folks happy, again :)).

oh, and here’s a shorter video that shows the sequence-phasing i mention in the first clip. instant philip glass, by coincidence. i think i accidentally even stole some harmonies from his glassworks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyy0sv8gA84

5 Likes

what’s great about this community is that every week or so somebody presents an idea that makes me swell with excitement, inspiration, and awe.

@benniii, these videos are no different. in fact, a prime example.

I don’t have coding experience, so I’ll just be waiting patiently for this to go live, but I do have a 128 and a 64 grid and would be more than happy to test iterations in case you scale this beast down. I don’t know how many of us have 256’s, but I’d hazard to guess that you’ll see more 128’s than anything. for my own selfish purposes, I will offer the feedback that it’d be awesome to be able to use a second grid as the bottom rows. (edit: wrong emoji. :sweat_smile:)

very excited.

1 Like

thanks @dan_derks (: … well, if i find someone to help me with the basics, i’d be glad to make a 128 version. have thought about it in bed tonight and it should be very feasible.

5 Likes

I’d just like to say how amazing your work is! I as well have a 128 and would love to be hands on with you’re creation. It looks very inspirational. Great Job man!

thanks @K-scorpio… really kind of you.

Yes, wow, very impressive work! Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to help.

just a heads up that i took inspiration from some features in this sequencer for a (hopefully very soon) upcoming WW alt firmware.

coding numerous phase-locked timers ends up being more complicated than i anticipated… ah.

1 Like

oh jee, what can i say! that really, really, really makes me glad, @tehn! would like to say that that’s the least you should be getting out of your work, building that last 256 vari for me hihi :blush:

@jasonw22 thank you, too. very kind @cannc offered me some help for now. i’ll definitely keep you posted on any progress and quite probably bug you with questions.

1 Like

Very very nice! 128 version would be great!

Big up from Berlin!
KZA

1 Like

@benniii
that’s fantastic !