After talking with a handful of friends in the community, I think it could potentially be useful to do a dive into some of the sequencer code I’ve written for crow the past couple weeks (see m18s and a weekend for more information about these) and present some strategies for tweaking these (and other scripts) in order to make generative music. Basically, providing some time to help those who are newer to coding understanding what’s going on and some of what’s possible.
I think I’ve figured out a nice OBS template to make things easy to follow (see screenshot above), and am now trying to come up with a time and come up with some focus for what we could talk about. So a couple polls:
When? (Choose as many times that work/you prefer)
- FRI MAY 15 5:30 - 7 EDT
- SAT MAY 16 12:30 - 2 EDT
- SAT MAY 16 3:30 - 5 EDT
- SUN MAY 17 12:30 - 2 EDT
- SUN MAY 17 3:30 - 5 EDT
- MON MAY 18 3 - 5 EDT
What? (Choose as many topics as seem interesting to you, will help me plan on what to focus on)
- code deep-dive/q+a/live tweaking for m18s
- code deep-dive/q+a/live tweaking for “a weekend” scripts
- using m4l to create generative sequencing environments with crow (using m18s, strokes, ^^derwydd, and other cool m4l devices from the community)
Also up for feedback of other things to talk about that would be of interest to y’all!
Going with this friday at 5:30 EDT. Plan is as follows:
- overview, short intro to what crow is for those that aren’t familiar
- quick intro to a weekend scripts, deep dive into tonight, talk about how the code mutated for this_afternoon and another_evening. live tweaks, of one of the latter two.
- also want to talk about some patching strategies for how to make notes sound distinct when you don’t have gates to trigger envelopes for the notes (the “a weekend” scripts don’t)
- move over into m18s, dive into the code. figure out a cool thing or two we can patch up input 2 in the script to do, make some music.
- move over to ableton, show how the modular and ableton sync. make ^^derwydd control some parameters changes to make our m18s sequences ever evolving (controlled by strokes). sprinkle some other cool max for live things from the community in there (survey, prosody, confetti)
- talk about some free and open source alternatives to using crow/modular synth/max for live to make this kind of stuff. I’ll probably point to orca, “algorave”, etc. other suggestions or things to share appreciated!