G6e: Recordings posted! making generative music with crow livestream workshop

After talking with a handful of friends in the community, I think it could potentially be useful to do a dive into some of the sequencer code I’ve written for crow the past couple weeks (see m18s and a weekend for more information about these) and present some strategies for tweaking these (and other scripts) in order to make generative music. Basically, providing some time to help those who are newer to coding understanding what’s going on and some of what’s possible.

I think I’ve figured out a nice OBS template to make things easy to follow (see screenshot above), and am now trying to come up with a time and come up with some focus for what we could talk about. So a couple polls:

When? (Choose as many times that work/you prefer)

• FRI MAY 15 5:30 - 7 EDT
  • SAT MAY 16 12:30 - 2 EDT
  • SAT MAY 16 3:30 - 5 EDT
  • SUN MAY 17 12:30 - 2 EDT
  • SUN MAY 17 3:30 - 5 EDT
  • MON MAY 18 3 - 5 EDT

0 voters

What? (Choose as many topics as seem interesting to you, will help me plan on what to focus on)

• code deep-dive/q+a/live tweaking for m18s
  • code deep-dive/q+a/live tweaking for “a weekend” scripts
  • using m4l to create generative sequencing environments with crow (using m18s, strokes, ^^derwydd, and other cool m4l devices from the community)

0 voters

Also up for feedback of other things to talk about that would be of interest to y’all!

EDIT:
Going with this friday at 5:30 EDT. Plan is as follows:

• overview, short intro to what crow is for those that aren’t familiar
  • quick intro to a weekend scripts, deep dive into tonight, talk about how the code mutated for this_afternoon and another_evening. live tweaks, of one of the latter two.
    • also want to talk about some patching strategies for how to make notes sound distinct when you don’t have gates to trigger envelopes for the notes (the “a weekend” scripts don’t)
  • move over into m18s, dive into the code. figure out a cool thing or two we can patch up input 2 in the script to do, make some music.
  • move over to ableton, show how the modular and ableton sync. make ^^derwydd control some parameters changes to make our m18s sequences ever evolving (controlled by strokes). sprinkle some other cool max for live things from the community in there (survey, prosody, confetti)
  • talk about some free and open source alternatives to using crow/modular synth/max for live to make this kind of stuff. I’ll probably point to orca, “algorave”, etc. other suggestions or things to share appreciated!
15 Likes

Thanks for doing this! Looking forward to it!!! @jlmitch5

1 Like

I am utterly clueless about coding at this point, but would love to be able to study this once it’s posted!

1 Like

Thanks for doing this, @jlmitch5! I’m really interested in crow as a sequencer with just friends via i2c, so I’m looking forward to this — will you be able to archive it somewhere?

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely one of the things I want to talk about is how you don’t have to understand how 100 % of things work to make cool things happen. Sometimes changes can be really small and simple and make a big impact…In these scripts I tried to make the code organized so that the small changes = big impact stuff was in one spot, and then the more complicated stuff is sort of up above and out of the way

And @mutedial for sure, I’ll be streaming it on twitch and then archiving there (or maybe on YouTube)

4 Likes

Alright, seems like Friday was the most preferred of the choices, and that works out, because I’m doing a virtual show & tell thing of this with my team at work beforehand…so I should have everything ready to go and be warmed up some!

In terms of what, seems like, more or less, people want a little bit of everything, so I think the schedule will go:

• overview, short intro to what crow is for those that aren’t familiar
  • quick intro to a weekend scripts, deep dive into tonight, talk about how the code mutated for this_afternoon and another_evening. live tweaks, of one of the latter two.
    • also want to talk about some patching strategies for how to make notes sound distinct when you don’t have gates to trigger envelopes for the notes (the “a weekend” scripts don’t)
  • move over into m18s, dive into the code. figure out a cool thing or two we can patch up input 2 in the script to do, make some music.
  • move over to ableton, show how the modular and ableton sync. make ^^derwydd control some parameters changes to make our m18s sequences ever evolving (controlled by strokes). sprinkle some other cool max for live things from the community in there (survey, prosody, confetti)
  • talk about some free and open source alternatives to using crow/modular synth/max for live to make this kind of stuff. I’ll probably point to orca, “algorave”, etc. other suggestions or things to share appreciated!
6 Likes

thanks for doing this. really looking forward!
edit: by the way is this 5.30 EDT am or pm?

1 Like

@indraperkasa PM! 20 char 20 char 20char

1 Like

ah okay, i won’t be watching live though, it will be 4am in my place :sweat_smile: hopefully you’ll manage to archive it in twitch or youtube.

1 Like

Just a reminder, this is in a little over four hours. Hope to see some of y’all there! Bring your questions and your positive thoughts my computer doesn’t explode under the stress of OBS lol

EDIT: and @indraperkasa for sure! Will definitely archive somewhere!

3 Likes

Bumping this for visibility! I’m off for a quick whirl on the velocipede beforehand :laughing:

1 Like

in case folks didn’t already follow, it’s on!

10 Likes

For all that attended, thank you!

This was my first time ever doing a workshop liked this, and I would love y’alls constructive feedback as to how I could improve whenever I do something like this again. No questions are required, and your contact info is totally optional (I’ve set so it will not auto-collect your email). Here’s a quick survey for providing feedback: https://forms.gle/HSEsBSdK9Z2w4TLY8

All code is here: https://github.com/jlmitch5/g6e

If you want to just watch the full 1.5 hours of content and explanation, here is just the talking content

Also, if you just want some music to listen to, I put the ending music on with no talking into a video. I was using monome crow (using m18s_macros.lua), controlled by @dr.katz strokes, which triggers ^^macros to advance the sequencer and do other modifiers. The sound from my synth is processed by a few of @andrew’s prosody devices (alliterate and dirge), the latter controlled by the shaper lfo. If you’re interested int the explanation about that, the m18s_macros.lua (last video in this post) has all of that.

Here’s each individual topic and what I talk about during it, if you only want to watch a part:

• beginning music: exploring (and explanation of) m18s version from lines community livestream

• intro: how modular synths work and what crow does

• tune.lua line-by-line (basic lua/crow syntax), how druid repl works, JF i2c synth mode, how cv controls pitch on a modular synth

• tonight.lua asl basics, hello to toby, macro random time sequencer, mangrove formant undertones, livecode loose/meter control

• this_afternoon.lua: self-patching warps complex oscillator, feedback patching with mangrove and warps, print debugging in druid

• another_evening.lua: random sequence modifiers, naming functions after animals, how metro works

• m18s.lua what it does, how it works, mystic circuits 0hp lpg, showing current interface

• m18s_macros.lua (maxforlive integration with crow) strokes/^^macros to modulate m18s sequence,echo/dirge/alliterate for vibes

10 Likes

This was really great, John. I have been so impressed with the spirit of sharing and generosity of this community during these challenging times. Thanks for doing it!

3 Likes

Thank you! Same here, that’s what inspired me to do this. It’s been really nice to continue doing creative stuff while stuck at home all the time, and I’m really thankful the community is here to share in that with

3 Likes

Thanks for this! All of these streams going around have taught me so much so quickly. Can’t wait to dig in to these!

1 Like

planned to watch live but had something unexpected come up so i missed the chat :frowning:

this comprehensive breakdown is fantastic! will def give feedback as i make my way thru…

2 Likes