Ghost Piano, Part 2 by Noise Trees

Hello all and thank you for being such a beautiful and kind online community, a real rarity.

I just released my third album Ghost Piano, Part 2 and would like to invite you to listen to it. It sort of continues from where part 1 ended and employs the same format: five original songs and five versions by inspiring artists I look up to. I consider myself lucky and privileged to have had the opportunity to collaborate with @perbarfot, Graeme Wylie, @maf, Hélène Vogelsinger, and Pollypraha on this journey.

You can find the album here: https://noisetrees.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-piano-part-2

Cassette and digital on Bandcamp, cassette shipping on Dec 21. Other streaming services will come by the end of the year.

I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for listening.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay creative :heart:

18 Likes

Exciting!!! I was really looking forward to this one!!!

1 Like

A bit on the process of this album, in case some of you want to know. Skip it if you don’t dig it.

Making music has been an important creative vent for me to let out excess steam. I became more active in pointing my energy towards it three years ago through becoming a parent. Automatically letting go of not super important or outright unnecessary time-consuming things helped me focus on the one personal creative passion I had.

This weird shitstorm of a year made me do that same thing again. Social distancing, fear for the safety of my loved ones, scary and absurd stuff happening in the world, forced change of life and life style, my immediate reality shrinking into a space smaller than ever. All that helped me vent my creativity, frustration, fear, joy and a mixed bag of other feelings into this thing that I released today.

I recorded the ghost piano at its home, which is also my wife’s family home in Northern Ostrobothnia, Finland, during one windy afternoon in July. These recordings became the backbone of the five original songs. Building layer upon layer of sound on top of that helped me find what was the meaningful and important part in each. In my way of working with sound, that usually ends up in a theme or set of notes stripped to their bare minimum. Just enough that it conveys a feeling but so that it can be endlessly repetitive and scarce. During the course of four weeks, the songs were ready. Or at least ready enough for me.

In September I contacted my hit list of amazing artists I wanted to collaborate with on these particular songs. I can’t stress enough how lucky I feel to have found this bunch of people. It’s been emotional, in an already emotional time.

So, this album consists of at least these ingredients

• an old Hellas upright piano in need of tuning, but tonally capable of fm-like subtly dissonant things that please me a lot,
  • two compact modular synthesizers consisting of mostly ALM Busy Circuits and Mannequins modules
  • a Teenage Engineering OP-1
  • a Novation Peak
  • some field recordings from Northern Ostrobothnia and Berlin
  • an Elektron Analog Heat and some Meris pedals
  • a Tascam 424 mk3
  • Lots of constructing and reconstructing in Ableton Live
  • five amazing remix artists
  • one amazing mastering guy
  • a supportive, understanding, and loving family
  • this pandemic motherfucker that keeps wreacing havoc

Ask me if you want to know more, I’m happy to elaborate on things.

Love you all,
— Jukka

6 Likes

Thank you Hannes, I hope you like it :heart:

Congrats bud looking forward to having a listen :partying_face:

1 Like

Thank you Nick :black_heart: I hope you like it too!

Can really relate to the above part.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to listening!

1 Like

Thanks Hans, I hope you like it :black_heart:

Here are a few free download codes for your enjoyment:
bq2r-bmpv
wrla-wz38
pvsg-hgln
8bq3-5bve
2drl-7wz3

You can redeem them at https://post-rift.bandcamp.com/yum

3 Likes

Thank you! That’s very kind.
I used bq2r-bmpv

1 Like

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy.

This is great work. You should be very proud.
I’m listening to this while drinking peppermint tea infused with lion’s mane mushroom powder.
Neurons are firing in my brain.
wrla-wz38 code redeemed.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. Your current situation sounds pretty good.

I really like this album.

Favourite original version is Ondes; it has a similar airy feel to some of the music on Hania Rani’s Esja, an album which comforted me greatly through the early part of Lockdown 1, way back in March/April.

Of the remixes, I would pick Hélène Vogelsinger’s reinterpretation of Athrú; her trademark arpeggios and ethereal vocalising move the original to another place. Hélène’s album Contemplation is one of my favourite albums of this horrible plague year - we chat a little on Insta and she has been very supportive of my initial ham-fisted dabblings in modular, so I make no apologies for choosing her work here!

Honourable runner-up would be Per Barfot’s remix of Hlaja, the balance between acoustic and electronic instruments is finely struck and reminds me of some of Erland Cooper’s music on his own remix albums.

I shall now backtrack across your Bandcamp and listen to the Part 1 album (with a remix by r beny? Another of my musical heroes? Yes please!).

Thank you again for this generous gift of your music.

3 Likes

Thank you for telling how the songs resonated with you. Means a lot to me.

I have to admit I’m very much in love with this format of five songs and five remixes. With part 1, I explored this way of collaborating for very selfish reasons, to be able to get in contact with inspiring people that I know I’d not be able to work with otherwise, and to balance out and lighten the burden of creating a full hour of music. Well, obviously it was still not that much less work, and turned out it was totally possible to just contact people you look up to and propose a collaboration. The whole process towards a finished album in this format was an eye opening and thoroughly enjoyable experience to me.

With part 2 even more so. Being happy and pleased with five songs of your own, and then having these amazing and inspiring artists build their own worlds of sound on top of them, was a real rush for me. The end result becomes somehow much more than the sum of its parts. A social effort in a weird asocial pocket in time. Pure gold for me :black_heart:

2 Likes

And as you may know, it’s Bandcamp Friday again, which is a great excuse to buy an album :black_heart:

1 Like

And now you can find the album also on the following streaming services:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3ylIRtHOGpif2sBs6Fq2sB?si=jUDK-2Z6SVyHNxGfWutdIQ
Apple Music/iTunes: https://music.apple.com/fi/album/ghost-piano-pt-2/1543220539
Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/album/164732151

Should reach the rest of the most common ones during today still.

Thank you for listening :heart: