Gisela Frick @Ohrenhoch, der Geräuschladen | Berlin Sept 24 / Oct 01 / Oct 08 2017

Hello to you all. If you happen to be in Berlin these days you are most welcome to attend two sound compositions I prepared for the Ohrenhoch space in Neukölln. Since I will not be able to attend, feedback / reviews from listeners is most welcome.

Sundays 24th Sept — To Heal a Broken Heart
01 October and 08 October — The Greatest Thing You’ll Ever Learn
at Weichselstr. 49 | 12045 Berlin-Neukölln

For those of you who are not familiar with this place: Ohrenhoch is a sound art gallery curated by Knut Remond and Katharina Moos with a special loud speaker system in three spaces: main gallery, sound booth and cellar. It is specialized in ambient, noise and experimental music which resonates with the Soundactivism manifesto which changes yearly.

----- Official invitation

ohrenhoch - the Noise Shop | Weichselstr. 49 | 12045 Berlin-Neukölln

The ohrenhoch manifesto SOUNDACTIVISM 017 - POSITIONING (Text: Isabella Zamboni + Knut Remond) is pinned on the wall at ohrenhoch Soundgallery, and available as a flyer.

Sound activism017

To hear on Sunday 17 and 24 September 2017,
continuous play from 2pm until 9pm:

To Heal a Broken Heart
(Audio 11:14, 2015-2017)
by Gisela Frick - Hassenberg (Chile)

Curator, loudspeaker installation: Knut Remond

Gisela Frick - Hassenberg on ‘To Heal a Broken Heart’:
To Heal a Broken Heart is an ambient composition based on a seed of a synthesizer improvisation originally entitled ‘Some Joke’, recorded in London, August 2015. The transmutation from this raw, cynical improvisation, to a few minutes seed later processed to its final result was a meaning bearing process, a search for spiritual knowledge through art. It is a part of a personal journey as a sound artist and composer to learn from the path of harmony in the craft of sound: pursuing deeper, slower experiences, accepting frailty as a basis to all expression and communication between the composer and the listener.

Consequently, and in order to address the Ohrenhoch space as a new media for the composition, To Heal A Broken Heart is re-versioned in 2017 as a complete aural experience. It is now reinterpreted as two superimposed tracks: the original 2015 track, filled with harmonics and extended, stretched notes from analogue sources and filters, and an extra track to be played simultaneously in the basement of the gallery. The basement track is the hidden basis of the composition: as its seed constructs a surrounding illusion of sound penetrating nostrils from the left to the right ear, it creates a cycle of 12x1’ seeds linked and faded in and out through the 11’14” of the total composition.

Gisela Frick - Hassenberg

Born 1981, Santiago, Chile.

Gisela Frick – Hassenberg is a sound artist and experimental composer. A few of her solo works are Réquiem para el Camarada Pablo Neruda (2012), Cárcel V’al Paraíso (2013), Slow Motion Graphics (RRS Radio Museo Reina Sofía, 2014), Mirror Forest (Resonancias RTVE / 2016), Raindrop Lullaby (Music Hackspace / Apiary Studios, 2016) and Kindernacht (Ohrenhoch Gallery, 2016). She is engaged in continuous development and research in sound collage, graphic composition and improvisation. Her focus lies on the paradoxes and harmonies between the abstract and the narrative in sound through processed and raw sources, combining timbres and timing through MIDI and/or analogue. She lives and works in Santiago, Chile.

Website Gisela Frick - Hassenberg:
http://www.giselafrick.com

ohrenhoch new Website:

ohrenhoch Website with archive (since 2008):
http://www.ohrenhoch.org
ohrenhoch on Facebook:

ohrenhoch on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/ohrenhoch

The ohrenhoch Sundays 2017 are supported by initiative neue musik berlin e.V. and Konzert des Deutschen Musikrates

6 Likes

rad. I think i can make it to this Sunday’s

Congratulations! Sounds exciting! I am not in Berlin, but I wish I were!

Oh that would be lovely, thank you. Looking forward to your impressions. Best wishes, Gisela

Thank you! I wish I were too, so fishing for attendees here :smiley: I will upload headphone versions for both works mid October. Best wishes, Gisela

I just love the idea of “sound gallery”!

Most of my sound work lands in gallery or museum setting (except for live performances, but even those often take place in art spaces) anyway, but thinking of a gallery, physical space dedicated to presenting sound work is awesome.
I wish there were more places like this.

I like both aspects of this:

• imagining totally empty spaces just defined by sounds present

but ALSO:

• how the very task of inserting the sound in architectural environment introduces all sorts of installation and spacial experience elements for both: the audience and the artists.

It is amazing indeed. I really don’t know of any other “devoted” Sound Gallery in the world. Giving the upper hand to sound above the visual does indeed change things. What I like about Ohrenhoch is that the loud speaker installation sounds amazing and it does not compete with any visual elements. The aural is king above the eye, so to speak.

So great!
Congrats again,
And hoping to some day make it to Ohrenhoch!