Glitch Art

i’ll give that a go, thanks.

might have to look at processing again. tried it a few years back and found it very confusing!

have you done anything cool with your DTR? I really wanted one for a while, but am also trying to minimize my dependence on computers …

you can read the academic commentary for my MA submission on the piece here. In short it was an examination of free association via numbers stations and my synaesthetic reactions to the source materials I used.

i made almost all of the cover arts for my 4500 project with the Glitché app on iOS… it definitely makes me wonder how ‘glitchy’ something really is if the UI for it is nice (especially considering how little real control that app gives you)… though it did produce some nice results.

a few years ago, i also ported asendorf’s pixel sorting algorithm to iOS, but never released the app…

facecrook reminded me today of one of my favorite images i made with that:

I’ve done a few audio related things although haven’t used it for a while to be honest. Pretty standard, connect Max patch type things using the DTR as an interface. Haven’t done anything as good as glitching Mario!

Recently came across the work of Jessica Andersdotter:

http://jandersdotter.com/art/

Not all of it is “glitch”, but it comes from a place that respects absolutely no divisions between natural and artificial, or between painting, photography, and generative art, or between high/low etc.

Fortunately, there’s not even an attempt to question these divisions, a questioning that as of late merely exposes a vestigial uneasiness about the disappearance or radical reconstitution of the human that has been underway for some time.

Instead, I find a refreshingly uncritical embrace of the posthuman as radical ground for a new type of folk art, one that embraces radical contingency through speculation and fantasy as constitutive modes. Modes that in fact never were about “escape”, but instead cultivated a virtual domain as described by Michael Saler: a domain replete with fundamental structures with which to think, and bring forth, the actual.

It’s high time that the nihilistic death-drive of accelerationism and the equally untenable anthropocentric preservationist impulse both give way to the new ways of thinking and being proposed in Stephanie Wakefield’s “backloop strategies” of Donna Haraway’s “staying with the trouble”. It’s time that the aesthetic of Lovecraft give way to a little Tolkien, through which we find ways to affirm the interconnectedness and indeed “aliveness” of all beings, however strange and increasingly hybrid/platform-centric they may seem.

Do you have any advice for getting started with some of this stuff in Processing? I’ve looked at some of the tutorials and examples, and some ‘glitch’ sketches I’ve found online, but can’t get anything to work beyond loading an image, and saving a new instance of it on mouse click. I’m lost!

Beautiful stuff mate.

Depending on your programming knowledge you might want to give a look at Daniel Shiffman’s videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZLDEnhT3Q. Great content and he’s super good at teaching… . Or else dive in here https://github.com/GlitchTools/ and get your hands dirty on the code you find, plenty of stuff to play with and more than just sorting pixels ;).