Goals //// 2019

Continuing the discussion from Goals //// 2018:

So, 2018 is just about done, and we can likely all agree that it was not a banner year. So in the spirit of @marcus_fischer’s posts from the last two years, here’s your 2019 goals, hopes, dreams, and aspirations thread.

Why wait until Jan 1 to start dreaming about a great 2019?

Music: Keep making it on a regular basis; keep releasing albums; keep joining in the occasional compilation.

Maybe make a little more promotional effort (submitting to labels etc.).

Maybe experiment with recording entire patching sessions in an attempt to do something live-friendly, and/or for the basis of an album project.

Maybe attend KnobCon.

Gear: track the money as I buy and sell stuff. I don’t have a specific budget, but I should be mindful of spending. At this point, I don’t expect to spend too much, but mostly to fund gear from sales of other gear.

My Eurorack cases are pretty full, but I plan to pick up an ER-301 and see what happens. I expect it can replace a couple of modules if not several, and possibly a pedal as well. It may lead to downsizing or just a bit of a shakeup. Also planning to pick up a 16n Faderbank and a TxB.

The main things I’m looking to add to my setup are granular processing and short delay physical modeling; I also still want to explore sequencing options a little further. I know ER-301 will handle the first, and the second to some extent (likely to handle it better in the future). The 16n will make Teletype a friendlier hands-on sequencer, among other things. I could still end up going for something like a Rene if space is available.

Health: get my blood sugar under better control (my recent eye exam found microaneurysms leaking tiny amounts of blood into my eyes that doesn’t affect anything yet and is reversible but is an early warning sign). Continue to keep anxiety in check and work on my equanimity in the face of life’s annoyances. Perhaps find a QiGong class to join because I enjoyed it before and it loosened me up a bit.

As a mental/emotional health thing, avoid getting caught up in online bickering.

House repair & maintenance: catch up and keep up with all the little stuff that needs to be fixed, and take care of the big stuff when necessary. It was more than a year ago that we replaced our living room carpet with vinyl planks but there’s one tricky area I have procrastinated about finishing; the deck likely has to be torn down and replaced sometime this year.

damn… you beat me to it.
I was going to start this thread up today :man_facepalming:t2:.

Sorry! Just couldn’t wait. I was thinking a lot about this over the last few days… hope I didn’t break with tradition too much :slight_smile:

Last year my goal was to do more live improv and start to develop a local scene I could participate in. That fizzled.

This year I may back off from music a bit. Been spending more time with visual arts and have been wanting to spend more time writing (currently looking for engaging stories that can get people excited to read a non-fiction book largely about the farm bill, so shout if you have any!)

Happy 2019!

Music: I want to continue being productive, so I’m going to keep doing the Disquiet Junto, submitting tracks to compilations etc. I would also like to play my material live more and attend more local events.

Health: Be more active, do more yoga and do more hiking. Generally establish more routines since my work schedule is going to be a lot more stable than the past 18+ months [finally free of night shift!]

Academia: This year I’d like to focus more on writing so my goal is to do more submissions to journals.

House: continue my love affair with automation.

I’ve got a few simple things in mind

• Put out 2nd album (first with new label Moderna Records!)
  • Play first solo live show (or several)
  • Save more money and stop buying gear (thankfully I feel my setup is quite complete, no urges yet)
  • Get back into running and yoga
  • Meditate at least a little bit every day
  • Listen to new music every day
  • Spend less/no time on empty/endless content…reddit, instagram browsing, etc.

All of these feel extremely doable and realistic, but at the same time very important to improving my career, health, and happiness. Can’t wait for 2019 to be honest, going to be great! :relaxed:

One thing.

Ironman.
Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland.
31st August.

Booked my place and have started training.

-Play 3 to 5 live shows (incorporating modular, guitar, and tape loops).

-Continue recording and releasing music throughout the year.

-Increase my sitting meditation practice to 5 days per week (if not daily). I would also like to read Zen texts at least 3 times per week.

-Exercise 3 to 5 times per week.

-Complete general life tasks (continue to pay off student and car debt, get my retirement savings back on track, set up a will and testament with my wife, save money toward a house, etc.).

-Visit the pacific northwest

May add a few more in the coming weeks…

Adafruit HELLA Grid Controller Kit

Goal 1: New band (GEHAZI) to gig, record and release EP.

Goal 2: make music. Lots of music.

Goal 3: most important. Be fun.

I want 2019 to be about developing habits that are nurturing and breaking ones that tend towards negativity.

Musical:

• I commit to 26 Disquiet Juntos, Naviar Haiku, or other prompted work. I have a real problem producing work, and I think external prompts and structure will help me. I should be able to produce a 3-6 minute thing every 2 weeks.
  • A 3:1 rule for new gear. I am only allowed new things if I sell 3 times the hp and cost, whichever is more stringent.
    • Corollary: do not go Buchla, Serge, or Ciat-Lonbarde. Buying more gear will not help me make music at this point.
    • Corollary: stop looking at the Trade section, BST on MW, CL, etc. I don’t need anything.
  • Play my piano more, and incorporate it into my own music.

Physical and mental health:

• Steady daily exercise, without a big event goal (marathon, 7 day 545 mile bike ride, etc) to motivate it, since for me that leads to not sustaining once the event is over
  • Better sleep hygiene (regular sleep/wake times; no more devices in bed)
  • Small-form daily journaling (got a 5 year Hobonichi Techo)
  • Sober year. I’ve already not been drinking since mid-September, and it’s nice. Cutting out pot as well this coming year. Caffeine and sugar and being in love are allowed.

Social & better society:

• Work on rekindling and sustaining relationships with family and friends. In 2018 I mostly left social media, and then realized I’d been using it as a substitute for being in touch with people. More phone calls, more email, more paper mail, more in-person meeting up.
  • Be more engaged politically. Discuss with people what can be done on a personal level that is effective, and engage. Less impotent rage at the news cycle, more concrete action.
  • Replace Amazon for purchases and stop giving them any money. Shop in-person where possible, locally-owned where possible.

I think about quitting Instagram.
Also want a stronger, tighter, real-life social network.

Music

1. Embrace constraint instead of just, y’know, talking about embracing constraint. To that end I’ve spent part of my holiday break working towards an EP made with just an Elektron Analog Four MkI. Must finish and release it.
  2. Try to get up to two EPs/releases a year instead of the one I manage. Probably a second “constraint” release on Digitone or something.
  3. Figure out how this “MIDI” works. I’m a CV guy but so many things these days have these MIDI ports. “What do you mean what ‘channel’ is it on?”
  4. Once I understand MIDI, connect up all my Elektron boxes and reject all the constraint I embraced.
  5. Make (slower) progress on using my Mannequins-based “generative techno” rig to perform a live modular-only thing.

Health

1. Oh god, I’m a massive anxiety sufferer, do I have to? :grimacing:

Other

1. The internet is largely a waste of time. Other than this ////////// thingy, the internet can go fuck itself.

Musically-speaking I feel like 2018 was all preparation for 2019.

Got into Euro and of course collected way more gear than I ever intended. Then stripped back and sold off a bunch of stuff that didn’t make the cut. Then realized that I haven’t touched most of my non-Euro gear since getting into modular. Sold off a bunch of other unused instruments and really cleaned up the music room. And now I have a really comfy, (mostly) uncluttered space for both my synth corner as well as the guitar half of the room.

So with that in mind, my goal for 2019 is spending more time and less money on music in general. I don’t need more modules, guitars, pedals, whatever to make music. I need to learn more about how far I can take my Euro setup. Patch up a drum machine rather than window shop for one on Reverb, that kind of thinking. :smile:

Thanks for starting this thread :slight_smile: Intersting to read about your goals! This made me think about mine …

MUSIC:

• Keep releasing albums on tape. The first two this year were a lot of fun.
  • Play more with my Serge, which I totally neglected this year.
  • Keep posting YouTube jams.
  • Visit Superbooth again! Already got that trip all set :slight_smile:
  • Organize more local synth meets. I only managed to do two this year. Whoops.

GEAR:

• Kind of blasphemous, but I would like to mostly get out of Eurorack … not sure if I can bring myself to it and I would definitely keep some of it, but most of it is sitting there unused, since I got the AE Modular and Serge.
  • Not buy any new stuff apart from AE Modular things. My wish list is huge of course (Lyra 8, Stargazer, MPC Live or X, etc.), but so far I’m managing to look away. I didn’t even get myself anything synth-related to Christmas this year. Feeling good about this.
  • Keep designing and building AE Modular DIY modules and Axoloti synths. This has been one of the most rewarding experiences this year, related to my music gear. I learned a lot from Ken Stone’s webpages.

LIFE:

• Oh well … I became quite the workaholic this year, but it was fun, so I’ll keep an eye on that and see that it doesn’t turn into a bad experience.
  • Make another road trip, which is already being vaguely planned.
  • Further reducing the time spent on social media. I got off Facebook this year and started taking a break from Muffwiggler too.
  • Meet more people for lunch. I started doing this this year. It is so great because almost everybody can make time for a quick (or long) lunch break, no matter how busy their lives are.

Buy: O-coast, Thyme, Microgranny, Koma Electronik Field kit/FX and Korg Volca Modular(if it’s not fake news)

This is pretty much the same list I wrote for last year. While I didn’t get to everything last year, I feel pretty good that my goals haven’t changed.

# Making Music/Sound
Guitar/Theory: continue to play daily + to take lessons weekly (also do better job of studying my kid’s hand-me-up piano books)
Eurorack/Software: continue to play/learn multiple times weekly
Coding: focus on a language for 2019 (continue with SuperCollider)
Record/Post/Document: do better job of all three

# Other Music-Related Stuff
Next Music/Sound Book: make major progress on rough draft
This Week in Sound newsletter: publish regularly
Disquietude podcast: publish monthly — or decide to stop doing it entirely
Stasis Report playlist: publish weekly, and see where it goes
Junto: introduce a non-weekly project; SoGOtP re: online home
Disquiet.com: redesign + introduce guest posts
Freelance Writing: one solid piece per month
Big Side Project: re-invigorate and do it up

# Non-Music-Related
Fiction: complete draft
Handwriting: write more slowly/neatly
Social media: continue to participate, but more selectively

# Health
Meditate: more often
Exercise: keep current habits + get to gym once a week

Anything bigger? More speaking engagements, nifty creative gigs, other stuff? Dunno. We’ll see.

Thanks for this thread y’all. 2018 felt like a huge step forwards in my artistic/professional life (toured midwest + Canada, played a slew of NYC shows, was an artist-in-residence + taught at some ‘name’ places, etc) and a total clusterf*** + step backwards on a personal level (too many things to list lol), so:

Music + Arts
-> Finish new potential tape for label
-> Give 110% at artist residencies coming up
-> Be self-critical/aware (within healthy limits), dive deep into concepts and projects, produce!
-> Europe mini-tour this Summer?

Personal
-> QUIT SMOKING AGGGGGGGH
-> Commit to simple but important routines. (better eating habits, basic physical/mental health maintenance, keep track of healthcare coverage, etc etc)
-> Rein in FOMO, ego-drive, manic “i want to do and learn everything at once” energy
-> Be at peace. Be better at balancing ambition and creative drive with unhealthy workaholic-ness
-> Don’t burn yourself out (have been very close to this)
-> Find balance between completely isolating self and being overly social/dating too much
-> budget more, cook more, live like a scrappy king on tiny artist salary

Professional
-> Finishing an application for a PhD program currently. Go HAM if I get in.
-> Alternate: continue teaching at colleges. Try and stabilize ‘adjunct hustling’ as best as possible
-> Continue to perform and present work. More community organizing, more curation. Find ways to make cool things happen without falling victim to creepy NYC Machiavellian vibes.

• work harder
  • learn to play the penny whistle solo from ‘my heart will go on’

lots of life changes in 2018, moved to chicago, found out i made the right decision

music:

• make another solo record
  • release more collaborative work
  • continue to sit down and learn/play modular multiple times weekly
  • build out modular system and solidify it as much as possible
  • play shows and organize them on my own

art:

• draw everyday
  • document and update website more efficiently
  • make more paintings
  • maybe figure out an exhibition in the fall

life:

• continue to eat better (less ice cream)
  • more dates with partner
  • spend more time researching
  • less time on instagram / more time on lines
  • use new daily planner — no more iphone calendar
  • use email more efficiently, more physical mail