I want 2019 to be about developing habits that are nurturing and breaking ones that tend towards negativity.
- I commit to 26 Disquiet Juntos, Naviar Haiku, or other prompted work. I have a real problem producing work, and I think external prompts and structure will help me. I should be able to produce a 3-6 minute thing every 2 weeks.
- A 3:1 rule for new gear. I am only allowed new things if I sell 3 times the hp and cost, whichever is more stringent.
- Corollary: do not go Buchla, Serge, or Ciat-Lonbarde. Buying more gear will not help me make music at this point.
- Corollary: stop looking at the Trade section, BST on MW, CL, etc. I don’t need anything.
- Play my piano more, and incorporate it into my own music.
Physical and mental health:
- Steady daily exercise, without a big event goal (marathon, 7 day 545 mile bike ride, etc) to motivate it, since for me that leads to not sustaining once the event is over
- Better sleep hygiene (regular sleep/wake times; no more devices in bed)
- Small-form daily journaling (got a 5 year Hobonichi Techo)
- Sober year. I’ve already not been drinking since mid-September, and it’s nice. Cutting out pot as well this coming year. Caffeine and sugar and being in love are allowed.
Social & better society:
- Work on rekindling and sustaining relationships with family and friends. In 2018 I mostly left social media, and then realized I’d been using it as a substitute for being in touch with people. More phone calls, more email, more paper mail, more in-person meeting up.
- Be more engaged politically. Discuss with people what can be done on a personal level that is effective, and engage. Less impotent rage at the news cycle, more concrete action.
- Replace Amazon for purchases and stop giving them any money. Shop in-person where possible, locally-owned where possible.