Goals //// 2019

Continue playing shows.
Develop new live set, play in other cities.

Start a focused practice around learning to use Supercollider and Norns.
Develop new scripts that I will use to perform with and also contribute back to the community via the dust/norns repo.

Build DIY 73-75 Serge.
Hopefully this can be done by spring.

Use my upright piano.
I have a beautiful Baldwin Acrosonic that my neighbor gave to me and it was owned by the original owners of my house. Get it tuned, record improvisations on it, learn Gymnopedies.

New music.
Record and release 1 LP and 1 EP. My hope is that the 3 prior things listed here will lead to new ideas and new music.

Minimalism.
Do more with what I have. Reduce excess and clutter. Sell, throw away, and donate things I don’t need or use anymore. Less consuming, more creating.

Meet more friends from LINES.

Get more sleep and exercise. Less Procrastination.

Some other ideas include finding ways to share the process around the learning and the diy projects. I feel that a clean and minimal blog might be a good way to do this, not sure yet.

Music

• start a guitar practice diary, online or offline
  • improve my drumming skills and diversify my fills
  • compose for small ensemble with electronics
  • code some algorithmic composition
  • start writing new material for my next CD

Research

• continue my French studies and improve my actual speaking skills
  • study contemporary composer like Saariaho, Posadas, Thorvaldsdottir
  • read more philosophy and start writing

Workout

• continue my bike routine and try to ride again about 4000 km
  • do at least one longer bike road trip with friends
  • start doing Yoga or Tai Chi

goals 2019:

general stuff

• move
  • switch up running to walking to minimize stress fractures
  • cook more - use fewer boxes
  • kondo-ized a few years back: keep eye on accumulations
  • continue using paper planner: tried (an) hobonichi this year, it worked well

art stuff

• omg <<< w e b s i t e >>>
  • new noise, continuing to incorporate samples & voices
  • show new works on paper in some kind of IRL gallery
  • do another art residency (did one in 2018 :slight_smile: )
  • copy over previously published articles from various places and collect @ Medium
  • . . . and write some new ones and/or expand on previous topics

ukelele option

• maybe! learn ukelele. play an eddie vedder Ukelele Song :slight_smile:

I realize I spend too much time defaulting to meaningless distractions, and that I currently have the chance of having much free time, something which will not last forever.

I think this one encompasses everything for me — to be more purposeful about the way I spend my time.

Yes. If any lines folks are passing through Portland, Oregon please hit me up for coffee or tea or drinks or control voltage visit.

thinking about a visit spring break or summer eep !

and yes - extending a similar invitation to anyone swinging though chicago - with a bit of forward notice I’d be down to host anyone at open space as well.

Music

• finish all the unfinished/unreleased tracks languishing on my hard drive
  • use what I have to the full instead of contemplating what I don’t have - to this end: watch more youtube videos featuring gear I have rather than gear I don’t have. Most of my musical heroes had access to a fraction of what I have - remember this
  • finish all the scheduled releases I have in progress without getting sidetracked by the magpie mentality [“look! shiny!”] (solo tape for IHAA; split with Steve Madslo to complete the trilogy; collaboration with Buddy Peace & Carlo)
  • finally submit the 10 tracks for sync work

General

• continue to sell most of the unnecessary possessions I’ve accrued. If I’ve not used it in 6 months, do I need it?
  • eat better - cook more new things
  • exercise consistently
  • trust the tao
  • be at peace with not teaching in schools, but consider other ways to use those skills/qualifications
  • resist the urge to shave the beard again - it never ends well
  • use time more wisely/less wastefully
  • be the best husband & father I can be, understanding that this may impact some of the other things on the list
  • read more books and less social media posts

My musical goals this year are more ambitious, building on what has been a significant growth year, music-wise, in 2018. My list of personal goals is short, but I have broken out into more detail elsewhere, especially as regards the first item, which refers to supporting my recently widowed mom and three family members (wife and both daughters) who are currently in college or grad school.

Music:
– participate in at least two disquiet junto projects
– participate in at least two LCRPs
– participate in at least one music collaboration (online or otherwise)
– play viola more days than not (focusing on practice-as-meditation and improving position and intonation)
– begin to use viola as a compositional tool
– attend at least two local, non-mainstream music events
– migrate to Bandcamp
– write at least four posts on my music blog
– read at least two books on music
– attend a music-related conference

Other:
– continue to explore and engage in new family dynamics, focusing on making sure everyone is getting the support they need (including me): quality of life is paramount
– continue to look for cross-pollination opportunities between music and psychotherapy
– look for ways to streamline private practice and to make better use of down time for training/education
– continue to explore new ways of sustainably managing my somatic health, i.e., through what I eat, what I do

Finally, in keeping with one of @petesasqwax’s goals, reminding myself that (to paraphrase) “the tao that can be itemized is not the true Tao” and making being in the moment my first task. :blush:

What is LCRP? I’ve seen it mentioned a couple of times now but it’s otherwise new to me

This is the last one; I haven’t seen a new one yet (might have missed it?), but there’s usually one every quarter (equinoxes and solstices). Here’s a podcast about them.

Beautiful - thank you! Definitely something I’d like to be involved in this coming year, if possible.

I spent a lot of time building synthesizers the last quarter of this year; I’d like to spend an equal amount of time making music with those tools the first quarter of 2019. Similarly I’ve taken steps to improve my studio space the last week; I’d like to continue that development and work towards making my studio space as functional as possible to provide the least resistance to my creative impulses.

Less music related but I’ve lived in my house for about 4 years now. I planned to renovate the kitchen and bathrooms when I bought it so it’s high time I made that a reality.

this is also what want more in my life :slight_smile: I think it is important for my emotional, social, and psychic wellbeing to have a kind of community around me, in the ‘real’ world.

Of course! We evolved as social creatures…

2019 goals

• Recreate my website & archive the projects/accomplishments in 2019
  • Start seriously saving money with a budget and personal investing plan
  • Release music
  • Learn to build a hardware MIDI controller (including EE understanding from the ground up)
  • Learn some DSP algorithms from the papers (mainly learning to read DSP publications)
  • Get back in the gym
  • Sell / Donate what I don’t need

Edit [reach goals]:

• Start DJ-ing
  • Organize my studio
  • Participate in @disquiet Junto

number one problem i’ve identified for myself… not great it took till 2018 but better late than never i guess

• release a record of solo material
  • produce a record for a songwriter homie of mine and release it on cassette (self-manufactured)
  • begin monetizing art and scale back hours at day job
  • play at least one show out of state
  • finish one track of some kind or another every week, continuing the learning process and gaining a deeper understanding of what I’m pushing toward
  • get out of Austin at least once every three months
  • reach out to the people I love more consistently. Need to deepen at least one relationship [r]each day that isn’t someone I live with or a coworker. So many pieces of my heart are in the wind.

Will edit as each goal is met.

Music:

Just keeping on tinkering, no pressure, for fun.
Explore my modular to its farthest confines, dont GAS!

Work:

Just doing what I like and always trying to innovate and progress. (I teach art in High School)

Art:

Do that one big commission that’ll make me rich. Not kidding, I have a comission that’ll earn me more money than I earned for all my art to this point. (ig: @mypencilsdrawworlds)

Life:

Be positive despite the pessimism, or further refine the optimistic pessimist theme.
Be a good dad and a good husband, not that I don’t think to be these things already, but you can always try to improve on these matters.

I threw pretty much all of my little sparse free time into developing a hardware project in 2018. Its 97% done. I’ve just ordered what I’m sure will be close to a final pcb revision. In early 2019 I will release this.

Beyond that I want to revise some of the monome grid max apps I’ve created over the years.

Then I need to get back into actually making music instead of making tools to make music. Though I really like making things so we’ll see…

Again my free time will likely be sparse from work and my family is going to get bigger again in about six months.

I could exercise more.

Wishing everyone the best on their endeavours

This year I plan/hope to:

• finish renovating the home we bought and move in
  • work on six bimonthly projects (two years ago I worked on “monthly projects” and it was fun, but exhausting, I’m trying to find a timespan that allows me to explore/make something, but not get burned out)
  • work on new ep
  • play some shows (at least one)
  • find a way to be less tired after work (work less?)
  • continue the good habits I have:
    • gym 3-4d/week when possible
    • learning a language daily
    • working on something other than work every day

As an experiment, this year I’m making my time-tracking data (well, small part of it) open: https://szymonkaliski.com/stats – I’m curious how it will (or won’t) change my approach to this.