desert, a ranch, herd of cattle, wide open pastures, screenplays, sounds like a nice time
also a filmmaker / editor. i second every single word!
- Release the album my band has been working on for the past 2 years
- Play our first London gig
- With the pressure of finishing the album gone, explore my music gear in a more relaxed way
- Get back into playing the acoustic instruments I grew up with - flute and piano
- Learn pure data and publish my first Organelle patch
- Start making music with my girlfriend
- Run three times a week
- Complete Everest Base Camp trek (shout if you’ve done it before, looking for any advice!)
- Set up an online portfolio to showcase my design work, music and art
- Realise what I want out of my career and start moving in the right direction
This has been on my annual list of goals for the last 15 years. Still working on it.
I know I’m a little late. My list this year is more a list of guidelines/principles I want to aim for. Specific goals will reveal themselves.
In 2019, I will strive to:
- Write every day.
- Record every day.
- Make music every day.
- Learn something every day.
- Read every day.
- Meditate every day.
- Eat better.
- Use my body.
- Test my limits.
- Value practice over talent.
- Value attempts over successes.
- Value actions over words in myself and others.
- Value deepening my knowledge/experience of what I have over the lure of the new.
- Value my own council and intuition over all others.
- Never worry myself with the expectations of others.
- Seek out and live the unpredictable over the perceived safety of a path already taken.
- Not be afraid of critique, even harsh words, as a means of self reflection and improvement.
- Value new understanding and empathy over my own ego and being right.
- Remember that, with everything I’ve learned, I haven’t even scratched the surface.
- Value personal effort as a way to imbue meaning into life, people, things, art, etc. Put effort into things to let myself and the world know what I actually care about.
- Seek out deeper interpersonal interactions. Write letters, make music for people, make presents, meet in person, really listen. Ignore likes.
- Remind myself “…it’s just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It’s only a choice, no effort, no work, no job, no savings of money, a choice, right now, just a choice between fear and love.” -Bill Hicks
It’s a tall order for me but I think it will lead to an interesting year. I wish you all the best on your goals/endeavors.
Well I’m new here…I can’t believe missed this forum for so long. I’m a Electronic musician of multiple genres, DIY hobbyist, modular addict, record label owner etc etc
I have many lofty goals for 2019, but if the last few years are anything to go by I might get 1/2 of it done.
Get better at finishing/releasing music again, I have really struggled since moving totally off grid and becoming a dad, mostly to do with time management and getting solid sessions in the studio for more than 30 mins at a time
I have 1 album and 2 EPs nearly finished so yeah I’m hoping all that will be released over the next year.
So much to do! My diy modular is not very happy and need much love and attention, I finally rebuilt my fritz thruzero osc recently to replace the one that died, but I have draws filled with stuffed pcbs that just need wiring up to panels…
Finish more Reaktor stuff. Put it all out on the user library…
Delve further into the Physical modelling rabbit hole.
Build a mpe midi controller. This one is a biggie, and actually the reason I stumbled across this site. I plan on making some kind of wind/string/keyboard controller mashup, that is very playable and expressive. In another life I was a professional bassoon player and I have felt for ages that other than the eigenharp (which was always out of my price range) that there something missing, something superior to the Yamaha/Akai controllers…
I really wanted to get further into JUCE but I dunno when I’ll find the time for that. Maybe next year.
My family live in Tasmania, pretty remotely, and after three years of basically caravan/shack living We are now very close to getting our planning application approved for our house build… so very excited about that, and whilst getting underway I need to finish designing my dream studio, so as soon as the house is lockable, I start building the studio.
Keep our amazing garden and the 30 odd trees we planted this year alive and flourishing.
Creating the best environment possible for our daughter and anyone else that might come along soon…
Wow That sounds like a lot.
- release a new Texture & Light EP (songs are all written, in recording phase now)
- release an ambient EP
- continue to actively pursue collaboration with other artists (this was a big goal for my 2018 and it’s been working great, so I want to continue and evolve it for 2019)
- perform at 3 festivals this summer
- bring my guitar, pedal board and looper back into my live set (I kicked it out after a tour in 2016 and just went with synths / drum machines / sampler / voice since then for shows, but I’m starting to miss it. Part 2 of this goal would be to (re) learn some of the guitar based tracks again for my live show. And make new ones of course.
- put together an instrumental compilation and start seriously trying to get some of my music in some of the films my friends or friends of friends make.
- Focus on working regularly in small chunks instead of waiting for the all elusive 6 hour chunk of “free” time I used to wait for to work on music. I’m a new a parent after all, those big chunks are things of the past!
- enjoy the space and time in the moment with my baby daughter
- (get back to) meditating regularly
- (get back to) trail running regularly
- less screens
- more compassion
nap time sessions are a blessing
The imminent demise of Google’s Inbox for Gmail, which I came to after Drobox bought and discontinued the Mailbox app had me kinda burned out on email clients, so in the spirit of this goal I made a … well a strong choice, let’s say, and decided to switch to
mutt. Using this guide, which despite being from 2012 is only minorly out of date(!!), I managed to NOT accidentally delete all of my emails ever, and sent myself my first email entirely through the Terminal! I feel like Alexander Graham Bell himself .
The multitude of
.prognamerc files I created in the process also greatly helped me get the change from MacVim to
nvim into my fingers, so I’ll call it a win so far xD
This year my audio goals are to:
- filter though my recordings from last year
- release a free digital ep
- release a cassette album
- be more active in promoting
- perform more
- read more
- finally start learning code
Get out of this job
Have any sense at all of what job to get into
Write every day
What would you like to do? What do you enjoy? Very exciting.
- Move more of my income from my day job to music (maybe quit my day job to do so)
- practice drums more
- Start practicing my drums more
- Find a new apartment and move in with my girlfriend
- Manage my anxiety and stress better
- Stay busy without stretching yourself too thin
- Begin building my modular
- Release a full length record of my solo music
- Tour more this year
I suspect a lot of this year is going to be about adapting to changes. My son is now almost 18 months old, in a years time he’ll be nearly 2 1/2. His needs will be so different then compared to now, and I can imagine the ebb and flow of our days will be quite different.
With that said…
Keep jogging, but be less ambitious. I set myself too high a goal last year given how few opportunities I get to go for a run in the morning. I’ve also come to the realisation that carrying / pushing 11 kg of adorableness up and down the hills of Bath gets me a lot of aerobic exercise. I’d like to keep up with the running purely for trying to hit my max HR on a regular basis. It would be nice to get 50 runs in this year.
Getting things done. I often end up with a few 20-30 min chunks of time throughout the day and in the evening. Most of it is spent unwinding, but it would be nice if I could use some of that time more constructively, not to actually get things done, but more for the sense of achievement. To that end, I’ve started trying to break some of my projects up into discrete chunks of work on Trello. A little bit like GTD… but no contexts and also not really caring how much I actually do.
Norns. I have 2 ideas for scripts… I’d like to get at least one of them up and running.
Field recording. Do some!
Storage. There are lot of “not going to buy any gear” posts… mine is more of a “not going to buy any gear without being able to store it properly”.
So much of what I’ve been preoccupied with has been life changes that may or not be happening, but I don’t want to lose track of setting aside time for creating. WIth that in mind…
- Moving from publishing drafts to finishing full pieces. For many years I was focused on band recordings and the typical structures and practices therein, but once I started doing more with electronic and ambient, I began creating improvisations, putting them up on Soundcloud, and then moving on to the next one. I want to make sure I’m going from concept through to fully mixed tracks this year.
- Fall in love with my gear again. There’s some old stuff kicking around here that I want to bring back into service, especially the more esoteric stringed instruments that act more as decorations right now than as means of creating music.
- Collaborate. I tend to do solo work, which is strange, because playing with other people is one of the things in like that brings me legitimate joy. I want to find some complementary souls to bring out the best in me (and for whom I can do the same.
- Have more fun. I stress over what I create too much. I’d love for it to be a more meditative practice moving forward.
Bit late to the party but this year I finally get to be a hot mess making steady progress in creative, personal and programming goals. I might make a list soon! i’ll share it here.
The reason I feel so comfortable with just practicing discipline while continuing to learn and grow is that I have a cool job where I get to be creative with computers and media production. My boss told me to “set up a studio and a server, our production workflow needs to be more efficient”. So that’s my big, long term but achievable goal with a pretty good (financial and personal) carrot for me to stay focused on .
And like I said… who knows what will crop up around here and there! I just got those humble bundle textbooks and I need to keep learning Lua and I plan to etc. etc. etc.
I’ve got lists on lists and a ~6mo track record of seeing things through to a satisfying conclusion before I move on to the Shiny New Thing.
So my goal is discipline!
Record an album
Maintain exercise regime (Running 3 times a week ++)
Trail running - there’s a few nearby trails that seem a challenge and that I’d like to complete.
Keep investing time in my son who is showing exceptional talent in a number of fields. He’s only two so its really about keeping his options open now. ANd having fun!
I think my list is back to front. I achieved quite a bit last year so I feel that these are all achievable.
- be more equanimous
- do/want less, sleep more