Going to Berlin

Visited Berlin for the first time in March, I loved it and would love to go back! Congrats on the move!

A few things i could definitely recommend:

Rhinoçéros Bar, which is up in the P-Berg area, was the single coolest bar I have ever been too.
It’s a hi-fi jazz listening bar, with absolutely amazing cocktails and charcuterie plates, friendly and awesome bartenders (say hi to Maxime for me!), super cozy and small with just a few tables and a 4-top bar. Highly recommended!

Also, there is no shortage of good food, however Umami Berlin had some of the best Pho I have ever tasted, and it’s a cute little traditional Vietnamese place with good prices.

2 Likes

Spending my time in Berlin currently and I must say I love this city. I can recommend visiting Blacklist bar for its gorgeous 60s interior design. I was passing by in the bus, saw it and couldn’t resist the temptation to get in. Get there in the evening time to feel the vibe. Cheers.

2 Likes

So Berlinsters, I’m hopefully gonna go to this SM-LL show SM-LL, Conditional, FLUF - July European Mini-Tour next month. Is anyone else attending?

2 Likes

I’m going to Berlin in November with my beloved one. Any hotel/airnbnb to recommend in cool places ?

In terms of places to stay, transportation is a big thing to look out for? Near the U7 / U8 is great, as is anywhere on the ring (the train that goes around the city, S41/S42). I love most of the neighborhoods around Tempelhof, maybe over into Schoneberg. Kreuzberg / Neukoln are pretty classic berlin-y neighborhoods, but where they land on the “exciting” <> “hot mess” spectrum is block-by-block and a matter of personal taste (still lots of amazing possibilities and apartments there).

I’ve had pretty fantastic luck with airbnb’s in the past, but find one now because they’ll disappear. https://en.wg-suche.de has lots of short term sublets, if you’re staying more than a week / price is important / you can navigate the german.

1 Like

I’d also recommend Kreuzkölln (aka Reuterkiez: the area where Kreuberg and Neukölln meet). Lots of cool places close to the canal, also close to Schneiders Laden and Patch Point.
For live music check out Experimental Berlin, Funkhaus, Ausland, Echtzeitmusik

4 Likes

For one month plus sublets both Craigslist and Facebook are worth a look. Both tend more towards expats, so potentially easier for non-German speakers. As mentioned above places go very quick – especially the good ones – so don’t sleep on it.

Be aware that a lot of the sublets are not strictly legal (although not usually an issue unless you’re trying to Anmeldung).

Thanks @scztt, @rklem and @robbie ! We are just coming for a long weekend. I’ll search around Tempelhof, Schoneberg. Kreuzberg / Neukoln.
Thanks for the pointers for live music too !!
Cheers

1 Like

I’m going to be in Berlin this weekend as my girlfriend is running the Marathon. I need to have a read through the thread and pick out any good tips!

Looking for a good vegetarian place to go for a celebratory meal afterwards.

most of places serve vegetarian dishes in Kreuzberg. Walk down on Oranienstrase from Oranienplaz towards Görlitzer Bahnhof and check the places on both side of the street. These days I tend to enjoy Vietnamese vegetarian kitchen - huge Pho bowls of vegetables with rice noodles and tofu for like 6EUR. Top of my head I would suggest the one in the beginning of Maybachhufer (next to Kottbusser bridge) but there are many and the quality is great. Also, vegetarian street food is a thing in Kreuzberg, check the Wrapublic in Oranienplatz.

2 Likes

If you like it a bit more fancy, there are also many a bit more upscale options. Cookies Cream comes to mind …

1 Like