goldeneye (now gridless)

GOLDENEYE

....,....,,...<<< ENTROPIC BACKGROUND RADIATION >>>........,,....

Breif

On load, each sample gets irradiated and is mapped to the keys of grid. Press keys. Don’t fiddle with the long presses too much, it isn’t healthy. Don’t think to much, it isn’t healthy. Season to taste in /we/dust/code/goldeneye/config.lua.

Ships with 128 artisinal factory samples harvested from CIPHER SUITE and MATRYOSHKA.

Engine by @infinitedigits .

Controls

• e1: Randomly toggle samples.
  • e2: Scan X.
  • e3: Scan Y.
  • k1: Exit / grid-less keypress.
  • k2: Play / Stop.
  • k3: Irradiate all.
  • grid short: Toggle sample.
  • grid long: Select sample.
  • grid long + k3: Irradiate this.
  • grid long + e1: Volume fiddle.
  • grid long + e2: Density fiddle.
  • grid long + e3: Length fiddle.

Install

;install https://github.com/northern-information/goldeneye

Restart norns after installation.

Nerd

66 Likes

Downloaded and playing. Confirmed that I got it working with midi grid. Thanks for this!

1 Like

oh interesting! did that work out of the box or did you have to add stuff?

This sounds awesome. Thanks @tyleretters for this freeform, organic feeling beauty!

1 Like

I love the idea of pressing a grid key + turning encoder combo, I can’t recall seeing it many other scripts, has it been done a lot and I’ve just missed it?

3 Likes

YEAAAHHHH!!!
cyf0ixW

11 Likes

@Glitcher you’re welcome! i’m really curious what this will sound like with less aggro samples. my intention was to use this as heavily eq’d “seasoning” for live situations…

@LLK i’m not sure! i guess i came up with the gesture while thinking about what felt most natural.

@alley_cam

4 Likes

this script is. too. much. fun.

its genius @tyleretters! i feel like i’m getting rhythm k.o.s just mashing the buttons…

also, the screen design is phenomenal, its a piece of art in itself.

47 Likes

holy shit

what. what what what did you do. how did you do that

(edit: liked so i could unlike so i could like again)

(edit edit: so watching you perform this made me think of some things. this script, goldeneye, lets you think in terms of “more” or “less” rhythm. most sequencers ask you think think in terms of “what” and “where” and often, perhaps unfortunately, “why.” yes, more/less is the fundamental question goldeneye asks, but then there is a second layer that is cartesian: “which?” x and y. so that first fundamental question is 1 dimensional. the second question is 2d. if you can remember or plan certain samples on the grid you are rewarded. finally there is a 3rd dimension which are the parameters of each irradiated sample. indeed, you can zoom into one, turn it’s volume down, and fiddle with all the settings should you desire…)

7 Likes

just dropping in to say that this is so good

3 Likes

goldeneye wallpaper

10 Likes

WOW WOW WOW!!!
fracken amazing rhythmic noiz generator!
THANK YOU for this script!

dove right in for tonight’s noiz session…:stuck_out_tongue:
additional noiz help with @infinitedigits Glitchlets and @dan_derks Cheat Codes 2.
other noiz from Ciat-Lonbarde PB2 and Tetrax, Nava Extra 9, DB-01 Bassline, Deluge

@tyleretters you know what i’m going to ask for…is it possible to get MIDI start/stop?
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Amazing! Can’t wait to try this.

Added launchpad functionality by adding:

local grid = include “midigrid/lib/midigrid”

On line 15 (underneath config = include(“lib/config”)) of Goldeneye.lua

Quick test and seems to work. No idea what I’m doing yet though!!

3 Likes

There is more than one way to do the midigrid code, the method recommended by the midigrid author is to use this line:

local grid = util.file_exists(_path.code.."midigrid") and include "midigrid/lib/mg_128" or grid

I inserted it at line 2 of Goldeneye> lib> _grid.lua

My understanding is that this allows for a both a 128 and graceful fallback to no midigrid.

Midigrid Goldeneye

8 Likes

this is bloody good fun

2 Likes

I added the midi grid code line @ lib > _grid.lua > line 2. Worked like a charm for me. After having more time playing with this, its super fun. Thanks again.

2 Likes

yeah, this is exactly why I love this script!

I love the idea of converting traditional control into something more non-traditional when it comes to these interactions with musical devices (converting “which sounds on which beats?” into “how intense do you drums?”). its a bit like graphical scores but more practically, to me, its like having a conversation with a musician when you don’t speak their specific language. i.e. you could the drummer “play it simple in the beginning and then make it crazy in the middle and end” and have them generate the rhythm for you. or you could tell a pianist to “play something upbeat that goes up and comes down” and have them generate the chords / song structure. AI might not even be nessecary for this type of conversion (as exampled here), but requires rethinking what is “control” is when it comes to interactions?

thanks! :slight_smile: :musical_note:

4 Likes

new feature is live.

@infinitedigits has discovered what e1 is for:

23 Likes

Short video of goldeneye script

6 Likes

this may be my favorite Norns script thanks to its immediacy, novel interface and sheer fun. thank you.

4 Likes