"Gozo" // Music & Field Recordings From A Small Island.

Hello all,

Never posted a topic here before but I have a release that I think is substantial enough to justify it. I’ve made a new release called “Gozo” which is named after a small island next to Malta. It’s an island rich with history; 5000 year old Megalithic temples, fortified structures from the Knights Hospitaller and more modern significant history from WW2.

It’s an inspiring island to visit, though it is very small. There’s a lot of sounds to discover too, cliffs, caves, beaches and villages. Over the years I’ve been steadily recording these sounds using a Binaural process called SASS which captures very wide and detailed stereo recordings. This year on my most recent visit I decided to take an iPad and a Deluge with me to write music also.

This album is the result, it’s full of field recordings, including one track “Island Tour” dedicated to just those recordings. The other tracks were made (mostly) in the appartment I was staying in. Here’s a little promo video:

And here is the full release on Bandcamp:

Thanks to anyone who gives it a listen :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Awesome. I lived in Gozo for a year not too long ago (and Malta itself for a much longer period). So this will be a heavy dose of nostalgia for me :malta:

2 Likes

I’ve often been tempted to stay there for an extended period but then Brexit happened hah

1 Like

That’s the reason I moved back to the UK haha. I almost completed the paperwork needed to stay permanently but was ultimately defeated by the sheer bureaucracy and always being one document shy of a full set. Anyway, congratulations on the EP – I’ll give it a listen tonight.

1 Like

ah no! Sorry to hear that :frowning: Thanks for having a listen though.

1 Like

I’ll try and give this a listen tonight. I’ve been to Malta every year for the past 18 years. Even during the Pandemic.

My wife’s mum is Maltese, so we go to visit family.

Always said we’d move there but the future of the island is not looking good due to Global Warming.

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a listen!

My Mum is Maltese, from Gozo which is where my connection comes from, have a lot of family there. I was wondering about the impact of Global Warming on the islands, I saw some images of what it could look like in the future and some parts along the coast are submerged, I think the islands will survive well enough but certainly will make a small place even smaller :frowning:

1 Like

As well as putting concrete everywhere possible and cutting down all the trees :frowning:

1 Like

When I was there in August I read an article in The Times of Malta predicting that in 80 years it might be almost impossible to live on the island surface. Also mentioned the surrounding waters could be infested with poisonous sea life. I’ll try and find the article.

Edit: Here it is.

2 Likes

Thank you for the nice music and interesting back story. I enjoyed the sounds and moods. I knew of Malta, but not of Gozo. It saddens me to hear where its future is heading.
But one question about your EP I have, is why you chose to call it an EP? Both the number of tracks and running time could qualify as an album for me.

2 Likes

Very concerning article, thanks for linking it!

1 Like

I had considered the field recording track as a sort of bonus track originally but yeah you are right I’m not labelling it correctly. Thanks for the note, and thanks so much for listening.

Finally got around to listening to the whole thing. Sounds fantastic, loved the synth sounds throughout, and bought it straight afterwards. The sounds of the sea in the Island Tour, as well as the nesting birds in what I assume is Independence Square right opposite Cafe Jubilee (I used to live in Victoria), took me right back. Congrats on creating such a nice and immersive release :blush:

2 Likes

Yes! That’s opposite Cafe Jubilee, such a crazy sound. Thanks so much for listening and even more for buying, so appreciate it.

1 Like

Yes it’s a lovely collection of tracks. I’ll purchase later this evening.

@100 You’re Craig on Elektronauts?

2 Likes

Thanks so much, very kind

1 Like

I thought so. Yeah, it’s crazy loud there at times. My strongest sound (and visual) memory from there is the birds that would circle round my building in a big arc, making this awesome swooping noise as they went past.

One and the same, yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a different user name on there now, but we’ve talked about Malta a few times. I think even talked about meeting in Gozo before you came back. And we discussed the Maltese bread too.

1 Like

Aha! Yes, Malta is so small (and even smaller when only counting musicians) that I’m convinced I used to have Michael (@MGFM) on Facebook too when I added as many arty types as possible. I’ve quit social media now tho.

2 Likes

Not sure, maybe? Haven’t been on Facebook in about 10 years. I am still on Instagram - though I dislike it, I’m quite regularly meeting new creative people through it I find it hard to let go.

1 Like