ranchild is a granular grandchild. this script was born out of and inspired by @cfd90’s clever twine and @justmat’s inspiring mangl, both themselves based on @artfwo’s amazing glut script, which itself was inspired by @kasperskov’s grainfields. i consider this script to be a grandchild of glut, and child of the other two - using some ideas from twine (randomization in parameters) and some code from mangl (lfos, greyhole integration) and the engine of glut, to make a granular sequencer to fit my personal musical journey.
their are a lot of granulation scripts based on glut, here’s what’s different about granchild:
- “jitter” and “spread” of granulation always oscillate, with random frequencies
- “size” and “density” of granulation are quantized, and easily accessed (see layout)
- sequencer is quantized (using @tyleretters’s lattice)
- voices limited to only 4
- samples mapped to 18 keys
- can record live input
- granulation can utilize stereo samples
- each voice has two scenes that can be toggled between
whirl1.aif (843.6 KB)
- grid optional
here’s how the buttons are laid out. use e2 and e3 on the norns to move around and k2/k3 to toggle things. the grid just mirrors the norns screen, so this script works just fine without a grid. grid 64 users: hold k1 to switch between the the first and second pair of voices.
note: when you use the record button for live input, all recordings are automatically saved permanently in