Greywater - Thee Greywater Songs of Scrap

TL;DR: Man has anxieties over climate collapse. Man disassociates from those anxieties in GAS-fueled binges and purges of gear. Man has anxieties over these actions. Man makes industrial drones about it.

I posted about the last album I did for this new project here.

The process wasn’t particularly interesting for this one – I whittled about 6 hours of DFAM, euro, and Lyra 8 jams down to about 20 minutes and did some overdubbing ITB. Happy to divulge more if anyone wants to know.

What’s new for me, and perhaps more worthy of discussion is the theme. I started this project out of some underlying anxiety, fueled somewhat by our own Climate Collapse thread, about my own consumption habits. In particular, my gear consumption habits can be particularly atrocious. In the past year, it’s only gotten worse; boxes come daily as I buy, boxes leave daily as I sell. No doubt, I’m trying to get a grasp on the things I can control in a world more visibly uncontrollable than ever, but my own behaviors leave me feeling a bit of dread in a world being incrementally transformed by consumers and producers.

Couple these anxieties (and the gear borne from them) with a lot of reading about the horrors of modern tech production and an album is born. I certainly haven’t come out the other side with anything new to say, or revelations about my buying habits that I didn’t have before. But this felt like a useful exercise in introspection.

I’m not sure if any of this is interesting and it’s certainly not profound, but I doubt I’m the only one here who harbors anxieties about their actions (or inactions) in the face of looming collapse. Music, as always, provides me a useful vessel to think through and with.

That said, I don’t think the process has ever felt so ironic…

3 Likes

As the first track starts, I’m liking the sounds… Reading the text here and on Bandcamp, I’m having JG Ballard flashbacks… Detritus is everything, everywhere, always…

You are so not alone in having anxieties in the face of collapse… Mine have been gnawing at the back of my mind since about 1970 or so… And you hit the nail on the head here: “Music, as always, provides me a useful vessel to think through and with.”

I’m watching “The Handmaid’s Tale” and the Gaetz/Taylor Greene roadshow coverage, and the “irony” is getting to be clinical…

Hang in there, and keep the sounds coming!

“All bones
And electricity”

Love it!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words.

1 Like