Grid based sequencing techniques

I just sold my Make Noise Rene and started using a Winter Modular Eloquencer. For some reason I could never quite get any desirable results out of the Rene even though I loved the design and concept behind it. Now that I’m using the Eloquencer I’m realizing that I haven’t sequenced linearly within a grid like this in a very long time. It kind of flies against everything I love about modular. The Eloquencer does have loads of features to mangle the sequence and inject randomness into just about every parameter which is pretty amazing. This is great for later in my process but the main problem I’m having is getting a melodic song structure started. How do you approach starting a song when you sit down in front of a sequencer? Any process tips or techniques anyone would like to share or discuss?

Ever since i got my Grid+Ansible I’ve been using the two as my only sequencer within my modular. Whenever I set out to jam out or compose I approach it like this: first off I have to choose my main voices, what effects I want to use in the composition process (I feel delays and reverbs can dictate a lot of choises and I enjoy using them as a integrated part of my workflow) and then things like tempo, sometimes time signatures and always scales. Since I’m mostly using Kria I often create some scales and variations of them so I can play around with that. I then start off voice by voice just improvising stuff and creating things I like that can spark off new ideas. When I have something I can dig I’ll often start to record stuff, improvising with the sequences, octaves, triggers and parameters within the sequences - but maybe more importantly interact with the modular, modulating by hand, filters, envelopes, attenuation etc. Very often I record a couple of takes within the same patch. Lately I’ve been doing some multi-lateyering stuff. Though I can record up to six voices in one take I often do another layer with more percussive stuff, and sometimes additional/lead stuff + samples.

I barely use the probability function with Kria, though I think it is a very cool feature. I guess I like to add that probability factor by hand, if that make any sense. Kind of like being in control of the randomness.

I think Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith puts it really well in her FactMag interview where she discusses how she approach the modular much like a full orchestra, where you have to think of the function of each voice in a way, even just in terms of frequencies. IIRC she’s also talking about a kind of subtractive compositional process which I think make a lot of sense.

7 Likes