Grid/led/row, grid/led/col, grid/led/map… confused

looking for help figuring out how to use grid/led/row, grid/led/col, grid/led/map osc commands.
"Each number in the list is a bitmask of the buttons in a row, one number in the list for each row being updated.

examples (for 256)

/grid/led/row 0 0 255 255
/grid/led/row 8 5 255

examples (for 64)

/grid/led/row 0 0 232
/grid/led/row 0 3 129"

what is a bitmask? how do u determine the bitmask values for the buttons u need lit?

the entire row is coded in binary. what you’re looking for is binary to decimal conversion.

ie:

11111111 = 255 (all on)
00000000 = 0 (all off)
10001000 = 136 (col 0 and 4 on)

row can take two 8-bit numbers, so it is a row of 16.

http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/binary-to-decimal-converter

if you want to get in deeper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitwise_operation

Thx for the info! : )

having one more problem. i’m trying to do varibright row messages and not getting any led feedback.
docs say it should be “/grid/led/level/row x_off y l[…]”

what would be the proper formatting for this message?
/monome/grid/led/level/row 0 0 7 255 255
(prefix is set to monome)

the proper format for led/level/row is individual brightness levels for every led, e.g. /monome/grid/led/level/row 0 0 15 15 15 15 7 7 7 7. you can send 8 or 16 levels in one message.

cool, i get it now. thx!

Wow, now i get it ! Makes sense ! thank you !!

okay, this is making more sense to me than ever before, so thanks tehn!

One question, how would i make a rotating register?

e.g.
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
…etc

obviously i need to be counting from 0 to 7 but then what? * 8 and <<? this simple math would probably be easier if I paid more attention in high school…

um… in short, i wanna make only one LED drop down in a column instead of a typical LED binary counter “stacking”.

If you’re using Max you can try the object [zl rot]. But it depends on what you’re trying to accomplish, and what you need to use to get there :smile:

Raja previously had a really dense monome tutorial maxpat which explained bitmasks pretty thoroughly, he may still have that available somewhere, that was where this finally clicked for me …

but if I’m understanding you correctly, w/o getting too far into the binary-ness (tehn’s link does a much better job of getting into that) a pretty quick way to do this with bitmasks would be to counting from 0-7 but raise 2 to the power of these integers like this :

2 ^ 0 = 1
2 ^ 1 = 2
2 ^ 2 = 4

2 ^ 7 = 128

if you send these to the grid using the /grid/led/col/ osc commands this should give you what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Raja’sLilMonomaxTutorial.zip (2.9 MB)

Raja’sLil’SamplingTutorial.maxpat.zip (801.4 KB)

raja’s tutorial or the url that hosted it seem to be gone now. Found the files in my hdd and uploaded it. Would be a pity if its gone from the net.

3 Likes

thanks to both of you! @tambouri I’m a slowly recovering math-phobic (studying music theory and aural skills helped immensely), thanks for letting me “look in the back of the book” for the answer to that one.

@pathein thank you so much for those files! I had them on my main external HD but it’s in the states in storage, and I had been scouring the internet for them!!