Grid ops / integration

Holy crap, I just got the October Monome letter and realized this existed. I’d completely looked past this thread. Teletype just went from an inessential luxury to a must have for me. Pretty crafty, @tehn!

I’m not sure if this will constitute the most elegant way to get grid control over Reaktor, or the least elegant, bordering on hilarious. But it’s happening either way!

4 Likes

new beta! i did a rebase on the official 2.1.0 firmware so it now includes all the exciting new features @sliderule added. i did a quick test and everything seems fine. it also includes a bugfix for G.REC causing issues with out of bound coordinates (now they can be safely used and it will crop appropriately). code is now here: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/tree/grid2

the new beta posted in the op or just grab it here: teletype.hex [B0F9779 grid]

and here is the water circles scene if anybody wants to play with it (this includes a new op for x/y pad that is still work in progress). CV voltages will be updated as circles decay, and trigger will be fired whenever you generate a new circle. it uses all 4 pairs of outputs. it will also output a note corresponding to the X coordinate on TXo outputs (if you don’t have one you can repurpose some of the teletype CV outputs - change it in scripts 4 and 8). i’ll post a breakdown of the scene in a future study.

water_circles.txt (1.4 KB)

oh, and i renamed the thread to make it a bit clearer.

12 Likes

Hi there, I just wanted to introduce myself and express my massive appreciation for all the hard work everyone has put into pushing the Teletype forward. I picked one up at the beginning of the year and have been having a blast with it, but seeing how it’s evolved over time really has blown my mind.

Much respect and love to everyone who’s contributed to this amazing ecosystem!

7 Likes

Can’t wait to play with this later today! Thanks for all of your hard work @scanner_darkly, the TT/Grid integration is such an inspiring idea to me. This, paired with all of @sliderule’s new features is really adding so much value to the TT.

2 Likes

thanks! i hope this will be a source of inspiration for all kinds of crazy ideas. the more i use it the more i’m convinced this will result in many different ways to integrate grid that wouldn’t be possible otherwise. there are so many cool things that can be done, but it doesn’t make sense to create a separate firmware for each, so being able to script them with teletype is such an immediate and powerful tool.

especially now that it includes all the 2.1 ops - when scripting the examples i posted above i often wished i could use some of the new ops. i’m hoping this will encourage more people to try it. the grid ops are not set in stone yet, so any feedback on what feels right, what doesn’t, what’s missing, would be greatly appreciated!

for folks who would like to give this a try - the best place to start is here.

6 Likes

Want to do another shout out to @scanner_darkly for the awesome vision and work on this firmware. It opens up wild opportunities for building interactive applications with the Teletype. The operators are so thoughtful and powerful. Really stellar work!!

Here is a quick and dirty version of Simon that generates random patterns. Get it right and keep going through the 64 tone pattern. Make a mistake and you get to start all over. The PARAM knob adjusts the speed. If you have a TXo, CV output 1 will generate the tones. Otherwise, patch in an oscillator to CV 4 and Envelope + VCA to TR 4.

Download the script to see my messy code. Note - there is no real error handling. If you go too fast after an error, you can confuse it. And, I didn’t handle the case where the user gets to 64. (Nice opportunities for future enhancements.) You will need the latest firmware from @scanner_darkly - listed above.

simon.txt (1.7 KB)

Again - massive thanks to @scanner_darkly for all of the doors he opened with this firmware!!!

16 Likes

this is awesome, thanks for posting this! and such a powerful and yet compact system.

love the idea, there are some really interesting possibilities where you could have a fluid UI steering you towards specific playing style (like here you could make the buttons smaller as you progress). i’m really intrigued by the concept of an instrument teaching you how to play it and adjusting as you become better. i gotta try a beat oriented version of this…

6 Likes

Simon was one of the first things I did with my teletype!

Lost the script, but I fed it CV / Gate from the MIDI in so you had to know the tones by ear and be able to play a keyboard.

Grid makes this amazing!

3 Likes

Excellent! Does the pong scene still work with your 2.1 beta or does it need changing? Is this 2.1 beta different from the official 2.1. I’m just not sure the best one to use or whether your ops were already added to the official 2.1 already uploaded few days ago?

i haven’t tested the pong scene with the latest beta, but looking at the scene code it should work fine!

re: versions - the official 2.1.0 release does not include the grid ops. for grid ops you have to use the beta posted here, which is basically exactly what the official 2.1.0 version is plus the grid ops.

ok thanks for the info - i will use your 2.1 beta

1 Like

one thing with grid integration is that while working on a scene you have to constantly switch between grid/keyboard which can really break the flow. to help with that there will be a grid preview mode for live screen - this way you can try different ops and see the effect immediately. there will be a button combo to turn the grid preview on/off (thinking ctrl-g). this does mean that the icons that are normally in the top row have to either be hidden or rearranged - i think the latter makes more sense, so that you still have them when in grid preview:

another button combo will switch to full grid preview mode where the whole screen is used:

this covers visual part, but we’d still need a way to test grid input as well, so i’m planning to add new ops that will allow you to emulate pressing a button/fader/any other control or just emulate a grid press for given coordinates. one consequence of that which i didn’t realize until i started working on this part - it means you could use trigger scripts to emulate random (or not random, or sequenced…) button presses, and you could use all the grid scenes without an actual grid.

23 Likes

Magic. Need to sort out my power so I can play with this.

Hi, i tested the pong scene again with the new beta firmware and for some reason the first row is blank and not allowing me to highlight a square, as if the frame has shifted down 1 block. Any ideas? it looks like its a scaling thing? Any chance you could do a quick test to see if you get the same?

there was a change to coordinates system to be 0-based instead of 1-based, so all the grid ops need to be adjusted. i’ll post an updated version of pong tomorrow!

if you customized yours just send it to me in a PM and i can fix it.

no problem, thanks for that, i can wait, no need to send

thank you @scanner_darkly this is such a monumental leap

your work on this project is continually surprising & inventive!

5 Likes

@tehn what are your thoughts on arranging the activity icons vertically? or we could have them displayed horizontally when the grid preview is off and vertically when it’s on. also since i’m working on this area is there anything we want to add/change?

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: (Teletype) Monitoring Live Variables

Can we just move the icons when the grid visualizer is activated, then return them when we go back to live mode?

1 Like